Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Muse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

DirtyLeeds wrote: »
    Sorry! :D

Damn right lol! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Just popping in to say I just recently discovered Muse. Jesus H Christ what have I missed. Just Wow! So so so talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Muse are currently doing rehearsals for the next album in London. Expected release is October of next year!

Just popping in to say I just recently discovered Muse. Jesus H Christ what have I missed. Just Wow! So so so talented.
    Yay. New Muse fans. :D Make sure you catch them live on the next tour!

you aint seen nothing yet mate!
    If you like the, now then you will LOVE them after you see them live!

Live performance is where they are really superior over other bands!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Muse aren't doing anything that hasn't been done before. I kind of get the impression that the people who listen to Muse are the same type of people who think today's music sucks because there's no bands like Led Zeppelin and Queen.

Porcupine Tree and Amplifier are doing a far superior job in writing ambitious and challenging rock music yet it's Muse that gets all the recognition? By the way I saw Muse at Oxegen 2007 so you can keep all your "uh, you won't understand until you've seen them live" comments.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Muse aren't doing anything that hasn't been done before. I kind of get the impression that the people who listen to Muse are the same type of people who think today's music sucks because there's no bands like Led Zeppelin and Queen.

Porcupine Tree and Amplifier are doing a far superior job in writing ambitious and challenging rock music yet it's Muse that gets all the recognition? By the way I saw Muse at Oxegen 2007 so you can keep all your "uh, you won't understand until you've seen them live" comments.

live performances at festivals are never as good as they should be, true for any band!!

hypermuse wrote: »
    live performances at festivals are never as good as they should be, true for any band!!
    That still doesn't answer for their studio output.

Porcupine Tree and Amplifier are doing a far superior job in writing ambitious and challenging rock music yet it's Muse that gets all the recognition?

618px-JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg

Instead of posting an over-used Star-Trek meme you could have tried to convince me what makes Muse so special and what makes them superior to other bands around at the moment in your view.

• Advertisement

Muse have a unique style of music that works.. The way they can blend different instruments and unique sounds into something that unashamedly grandiose is amazing! Exogenesis is just an incredible piece of song writing and you rarely ever hear something like this!!

If you don't like it that's fine.. point made! why does someone need to convince you! You've made up your own mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

If you have a problem with a post please report it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sorry to dispeel the idea but Muse are my favourite band and I think Zeppelin are a load of overrated nonsense. If they were around today I'd have no interest in anything they put out.

Superior in your opinion of course.

Look, Muse have made a 12 year career out of great talent, some fantastic song writing and strong live performances. It's a recipe for success in any music genre. Sure they aren't everyone's cup of tea but any real music fan can sit back and go "Yea, that Bellamy chap is one talented fecker" because he is.

They could easily have bombed after Origin and while the latest album was very average by their standards it was still better than the majority of music put out commercially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 bennygood

Muse are a great band. I loved the Glastonbury performance they televised last year. Every time they release a new album I love it. For about a month. After that I find myself skipping Muse whenever their songs appear on shuffle on my ipod. It's like the Pixies. I love them but ahhh skip, skip, next song. I just hope they don't go the way Kings of Leon went. I used to really like Kings of Leon but their new music makes me hate all their music. I hate when that happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    They could easily have bombed after Origin and while the latest album was very average by their standards it was still better than the majority of music put out commercially.
    Better in your opinion of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

Muse Twitter account has posted some pictures. Just crap ones but it looks like they are from a studio :)

• Advertisement

budgemook wrote: »
    Muse Twitter account has posted some pictures. Just crap ones but it looks like they are from a studio :)

linky would be nice for everyone!

Twit pics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Looks like Matt is taking the piss out of Chris' moustache that he's growing for Moevmber

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Muse fans really get irked easily so I'll tread carefully

Sure they've got some great songs and Bellamy is a serious guitarist and musician in his own right but as a whole they're not doing anything that hasn't been done before

<Awaits usual response of "who hasn't borrowed from other bands">

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Sure they've got some great songs and Bellamy is a serious guitarist and musician in his own right but as a whole they're not doing anything that hasn't been done before

Damn straight, bruvva.:cool:

They just do it better than most.:D

Muse fans really get irked easily so I'll tread carefully

<Awaits usual response of "who hasn't borrowed from other bands">

Love how you don't stereotype!!
    Most people with the word fish in their name tend to find their own mother are sexually attractive!

Bellamy is an amazing guitarist/musician and an accomplished songwriter! Muse do "unique" things better than other bands.. their greatest achievement and something that no other band comes close to against them is their live performances..

Used to like muse, then I saw them live and was just blown away.... never witnessed that kinda performance before, and still havnt seen a better band live than these guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Yeah, that's hardly a controversial opinion and most of the Muse fans I know would agree with you. They're not doing anything remotely innovative at the moment. But to be honest, I don't really care. I like the majority of the music and at the end of the day, that's all that really matters. I do think that they stand out from their contemporaries in the rock scene and that is something I've always admired them for. I remember when Origin of Symmetry came out, it was like a breath of fresh air among all the try hard Strokes wannabes that were around at the time. Having said the band that made OOS is not the Muse we know today.

While we're on the subject, I feel like the rock scene is kinda dead at the moment. I can't remember the last time I heard anyone in the rock genre doing 'something that hasn't been done before'.

By the way I should probably state that I've seen Muse live 3 times so I now they're pretty solid live too but take away all the flashing lights and the space ships and it would be a lot more ordinary.

I found Grizzly Bear a far more impressive band live and it's just the music and nothing else. Not to mention that they have a sound all to their own.

By the way I should probably state that I've seen Muse live 3 times so I now they're pretty solid live too but take away all the flashing lights and the space ships and it would be a lot more ordinary.

I found Grizzly Bear a far more impressive band live and it's just the music and nothing else. Not to mention that they have a sound all to their own.

Well I've seen Muse live before they started the U2-esque flashy lights and space ships and that's when they amazed me most.

I've never seen rock goliaths Grizzly Bear but I have seen Porcupine Tree and IMO Muse are a better live band. I'm basing that on their earlier gigs without the spaceships. The gigs that had the raw intensity and energy that I'd never seen before and have not seen since.

I strongly disagree! same as budgemook for me
    Well I've seen Muse live before they started the U2-esque flashy lights and space ships and that's when they amazed me most.

I've never seen rock goliaths Grizzly Bear but I have seen Porcupine Tree and IMO Muse are a better live band. I'm basing that on their earlier gigs without the spaceships. The gigs that had the raw intensity and energy that I'd never seen before and have not seen since.

First time I saw Muse it was just the 3 lads on stage.. no glitz or glamor and it was the best gig I have ever been at! I would much prefer them to go to the old school style of playing a gig for the music than the flashy lights effects!

They are certainly not an ordinary live band.. no way.. If anything I think the over-the-top stage effects take away from the immense stage presence they have! I've seen muse I think 12 times now.. 1st live gig I saw is the reason I have gone back to see them over and over again!

hypermuse wrote: »
    I strongly disagree! same as budgemook for me

First time I saw Muse it was just the 3 lads on stage.. no glitz or glamor and it was the best gig I have ever been at! I would much prefer them to go to the old school style of playing a gig for the music than the flashy lights effects!

They are certainly not an ordinary live band.. no way.. If anything I think the over-the-top stage effects take away from the immense stage presence they have! I've seen muse I think 12 times now.. 1st live gig I saw is the reason I have gone back to see them over and over again!

Yeah exactly the same. Last gig (9th I think) was Wembley and amazing as it was I felt like I was at a U2 gig. I did read some interview somewhere of them saying they've gone as big as they will go and now it's back to basics. Good old rock tunes and smaller gigs with normal stages. I hope it's true.

New album confirmed

The 2nd law is the name

Released on September 2012

Promo vid just released:

As thread title suggests new album confirmed by the band.

Title: The 2nd Law

Release: September 2012

Promo vid

Muse home page

I'm pretty excited to be honest.

Lots of comments on that video accuse Muse of selling out, or resorting to Dubstep, but I like it. Muse have never been a band to shy away from music thats new to them. It'll also be interesting to see how Muse manage to add their sound to the dubstep genre. And lets not forget how that video starts, some orchestral sexiness.

I guess Matt wasnt lying when he said the next album would be "christian gangsta rap jazz odyssey, some ambient rebellious dubstep and face melting metal flamenco cowboy psychedelia."

Septemer 17th 2012 http://he-3.mu

Muse believed their own hype about 5 years ago and have been "evolving" for worse since

That travesty of a teaser is going to make me steer well clear

miralize wrote: »
    I'm pretty excited to be honest.

Lots of comments on that video accuse Muse of selling out, or resorting to Dubstep, but I like it. Muse have never been a band to shy away from music thats new to them. It'll also be interesting to see how Muse manage to add their sound to the dubstep genre. And lets not forget how that video starts, some orchestral sexiness.

I guess Matt wasnt lying when he said the next album would be "christian gangsta rap jazz odyssey, some ambient rebellious dubstep and face melting metal flamenco cowboy psychedelia."

Septemer 17th 2012 http://he-3.com

What's in the teaser isn't dubstep though. It's skrillex inspired crud

• Advertisement

What's in the teaser isn't dubstep though. It's skrillex inspired crud

Skrillex inspired crud it may well be but it's Dubstep alright.

Whatever sells records to the kids I suppose. So much for going back to their roots.

This is just one song though. They always have throwbacks to previous albums..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Bringing kids is really gonna cramp your style if you want to get ****-faced and have casual sexual with fellow revellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

el tel wrote: »
    Bringing kids is really gonna cramp your style if you want to get ****-faced and have casual sexual with fellow revellers.

Bring the kids as a fashio accessory to go with the multi coloured wellies!! :)

Is there much in the way of uhhhhhhhhhh casual uhhhhhhhhhh sexual uhhhhhhhh revellers uhhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Do you have the name for those other options?

http://electricpicnic.ie/alternativecampingoptions

This dubstep as people call it may not even be on the album.. Perhaps its just in the trailer for some reason!

Personally I like it.. The beautiful orchestral strings at the beginning sound amazing! Then it just transforms into a crazy robot rock style of craziness!

If anything the trailer sums up the bands ability and lack of fear to not only to reinvent themselves but also explore different genres of music!

Sounds different.. Another genre for muse to explore by the sounds of it. I love the orchestral strings at the start of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Muse believed their own hype about 5 years ago and have been "evolving" for worse since

That travesty of a teaser is going to make me steer well clear

A teaser would make ya steer clear of an album?

The orchestral part seems like a natural continuation of Exogenesis, the dance part seems like it'll be thrown in on some song that'll be the Undisclosed Desires type track off the album.

Looking forward to hearing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

It's really not dubstep.

• Advertisement

OctavarIan wrote: »

It's really not dubstep.
    We'll have to agree to disagree

Nope. Do a little research, what Skrillex plies is a bastardized form of main stream diluted dub-step influenced ****e

Real London Dub sounds nothing like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The whole idea of a promo video is very wanky in itself even before the disappointment of the music in it.

Still looking forward to the album but I'm expecting it to be a let down sadly.

Nope. Do a little research, what Skrillex plies is a bastardized form of main stream diluted dub-step influenced ****e

Real London Dub sounds nothing like it
    Research me hole. I lived in shoreditch and went to many dubstep nights. Ran drum and bass nights too.

Some people say Linkin Park aren't metal in any shape or form. Those people are dopes though. They are just sh!t metal. Skrillex is sh!t dubstep.

Research... Get over yourself.

Research me hole. I lived in shoreditch and went to many dubstep nights. Ran drum and bass nights too.

Some people say Linkin Park aren't metal in any shape or form. Those people are dopes though. They are just sh!t metal. Skrillex is sh!t dubstep.

Research... Get over yourself.

The two types of music are fundamentally different

To use your own example. Linken Park are "Nu Metal" and sound very different from actual metal in the same way Skrillex sounds nothing like proper dub

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bowies in Space

I'm still looking forward to the album- but more importantly, why is there no Irish date on the tour :( I got so excited when I saw Europe dates for Autumn

• Advertisement

I'm still looking forward to the album- but more importantly, why is there no Irish date on the tour :( I got so excited when I saw Europe dates for Autumn

Apparently, there will be a date for Ireland in early 2013. Dunno where they got their information though, so take it with a pinch of salt http://musicscene.ie/2012/06/muse-release-official-video-trailer-for-the-2nd-law-studio-album-release/

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Greenacres

anyone know why the 'bringing kids to electric picnic' thread has merged with the 'Muse' 'thread???

The two types of music are fundamentally different

To use your own example. Linken Park are "Nu Metal" and sound very different from actual metal in the same way Skrillex sounds nothing like proper dub

Nope. Metal is the parent genre. Nu metal is a child of that parent. Tis all metal.

Skrillex is Dubstep. Bad Dubstep. Any research will tell you that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Nope. Metal is the parent genre. Nu metal is a child of that parent. Tis all metal.

Skrillex is Dubstep. Bad Dubstep. Any research will tell you that.

Nu Metal is distinct from classic metal, though. A person that likes classic metal isn't necessarily going to like nu metal and vice versa. What's being called dubstep that the likes of Skrillex are pedalling over in the states is being dismissively called brostep over here. While some people would have an issue with that title while others wear it as a badge of honour.

I think the fishhooks is right - while both styles are being called dubstep they are completely different forms of music. One that has its roots in the lower frequency sounds of London and one that has bred with the mid range wallop of nu metal.

Nu Metal is distinct from classic metal, though. A person that likes classic metal isn't necessarily going to like nu metal and vice versa. What's being called dubstep that the likes of Skrillex are pedalling over in the states is being dismissively called brostep over here. While some people would have an issue with that title while others wear it as a badge of honour.

I think the fishhooks is right - while both styles are being called dubstep they are completely different forms of music. One that has its roots in the lower frequency sounds of London and one that has bred with the mid range wallop of nu metal.

They're hardly completely different though are they? Fairly close when you consider the whole spectrum of music genres.

• Advertisement
Advertisement