Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Muse

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Its like they dont want our money anymore?! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Garseys wrote: »
    dear god no.

Costey was atrocious on Black Holes. Album had great songs but were ruined by his mixing. MoTP, Assassin, Exo Politics, Hoodoo and Knights.
    Some of the tracks weren't mixed great but he seemed to have a knack of keeping them from flying into the clouds and control their runaway creativity with a sensibility that kept the album feeling like it was an album, not just a collection of songs. Agreed on OoS by the way, you can actually hear at the end of New Born what they planned to do with the piano part, by singing it with voices. Would have been terrible!

Whatever about his mixing though, I think Absolution and BHaR sound a damn sight better than The Resistance. TR is overpolished way too much.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I actually like the new track :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

I quite like the new tune. It's different, but catchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

How can a band go from having b-sides like this:

To releasing singles like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Its a crying shame aint it..

At least we know whose to blame...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Genuinely annoyed at this bollox they're releasing. That Olympics song and this new Madness drivel are so far removed from what made Muse good in the first place.

Gotten to the stage where I won't buy the album outright and probably won't take in a tour date for the first time since 2002.

/goes off to listen to Dead Star on repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

Kiith wrote: »
    I actually like the new track :o
    I quite like the new tune. It's different, but catchy.

Me too. Well actually, I completely adore it. I don't think Muse have explored their soft but beautiful side enough. Weird, little groovy, completely sexy, some of my favourite vocal work from the band and the last 90 seconds to 2 minutes is up there with any beautiful, fantastic moment they've done. If it works live, which I'm still not sure of....hope they can get it going though, as then I would definitely have to put it up there with Bliss and Map of the Problematique for songs that just completely click with me 100%.

Haven't been this excited for exploring the boys work since I first got into them.

• Advertisement

^^^

I really can't tell if that's a serious post or not :confused:

Yes, I'm serious. Hardcore Muse fan for a decade liking a minimalist yet building pop tune with soulful lyrics shocker. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Im all for a band changing direction with music but just because it sounds different from previous stuff and is experimental doesnt make it good. The first 3 tracks released from this album have being crap imo. I wasn't a huge fan of TR bar a few tracks, most likely be the same with this album :(

Racket wrote: »
    Yes, I'm serious. Hardcore Muse fan for a decade liking a minimalist yet building pop tune with soulful lyrics shocker. :p

In that case you've sold your soul as much as Bellamy and co. :pac:

Xavi6 wrote: »
    In that case you've sold your soul as much as Bellamy and co. :pac:

Worth it for some pure beauty and power. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

I love the new song. Of course it's a complete separation from guitar driven rock riffs. If you didn't know it was Muse and heard it I think if would stand up there on its on as a absolutely powerful tune.

Fans feel a sense of entitlement over an artists direction or sound. Loyal fans will allow artists to be allowed the room and space to try new genres and open up their own pandora's box. People that say 'they've sold out' or feel let down by them I pity them, If you want Muse playing rinse and repeat for the next decade then thats pretty a minimalistic and closed minded way to view a band.

If you don't like it thats fine everyone is entitled to their own opinion or tastes, don't listen to it, listen to their older stuff and enjoy that again or listen to other similar bands playing guitar music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I have to say I do like the song quite a bit too! Just a very catchy song, takes a few listens, but I really do like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Madness ends fairly well, but it's laborious to actually get there. The first two/three minutes draaaaaag on though, and that's probably why the end of the song seems so decent

Great description of Madness I read today -
    Sounds like the love child of Brian May's nutsack and a glitter covered turd.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

I love the new song. Of course it's a complete separation from guitar driven rock riffs. If you didn't know it was Muse and heard it I think if would stand up there on its on as a absolutely powerful tune.

Fans feel a sense of entitlement over an artists direction or sound. Loyal fans will allow artists to be allowed the room and space to try new genres and open up their own pandora's box. People that say 'they've sold out' or feel let down by them I pity them, If you want Muse playing rinse and repeat for the next decade then thats pretty a minimalistic and closed minded way to view a band.

If you don't like it thats fine everyone is entitled to their own opinion or tastes, don't listen to it, listen to their older stuff and enjoy that again or listen to other similar bands playing guitar music.

Amen to that. I'm a big Chris Cornell fan and when he left Soundgarden and started experimenting with less heavy stuff, he was also accused by hardcore fans of 'selling out'. Of course, he also picked up a lot of new fans who didn't mind at all and liked his music for what it was.

What is 'selling out' exactly? To me it's the exact opposite of what Muse and Chris Cornell are doing. They're going against the grain, trying new things, trying different approaches, and distancing themselves from earlier efforts with every new album they put out. And that doesn't mean we'll never hear a guitar again. Cornell isn't afraid to still rock out either when he feels like it, but by expanding his range and his repertoire he's effectively given himself a much bigger playing field, which is surely what every artist wants.

Bands who release the same stuff year in / year out, packaged slightly differently but basically sounding the same ................ that's what selling out is. That's when you lose all artistic motivation and creativity and simply release what is expected of you, pick up your cheque, and do it again a year later.

Don't get me wrong. I love Muse's earlier stuff, and I generally prefer their heavier stuff. But if they go in a new direction I'm not going to get butt-hurt and start throwing insults at them. If I don't like their new stuff, I'll listen to something else, but I'll still respect their decision to try something new. A lot of bands who experiment like this generally end up returning to their roots at some point anyhow, so if it's any consolation to the rockers out there, I wouldn't be surprised if their next album or the one after is more guitar based.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Great description of Madness I read today -

:pac:

...and this album could very well be Muse's "Hot Space".

• Advertisement

Dont take this as gospel, but supposedly, one of the new songs in The 2nd Law, Liquid State, has the bassline from the infamous Osaka Jam! This pleases me

have to day when I 1st heard this I was pretty critical but the more I listen to it the more I love it.

Such a nice change! Just goes to show, unsustainable and madness on the same album... Really is a mystery as to what this album is gonna sound like!

I'm also actually really looking forward (with a bit of apprehension) to the 2 vocal tracks Chris is going to sing on.

That will be interesting!

Muse playing a gig in Germany at the minute so far the setlist has been:

1. Supremacy
    2. Interlude + Hysteria
    3. Panic Station
    4. Resistance
    5. Supermassive Black Hole
    6. Animals

So hopefully the new songs are on youtube 2moro for a listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Internet exploding with clips. Some great quality ones too.

Panic Station

Animals (there's a second part in his videos)

Follow Me

Save Me (two parts)

Supremacy (awful quality but this is the only one up)

What can I say...seems bizarre they would put out the 'worst' tracks while not showing these off. Supremacy sounds unbelievable, even with the quality there. Animals is very promising. Love Panic Station and Follow Me too. Not so keen on Save Me. Overall this is very exciting, frustrating they kept Survival on the album because it's going to bring down what is otherwise a surprisingly great lineup of tracks. This has outed The Resistance already anyway. Again though....Supremacy...wow.

Panic station has a real Funk vibe to it!! Sounds incredible!! Love it!

Also found this better quality recording of Supremacy whilst in work.

Slowly beginning to worry, with all the epic live clips, that T2L may be perfect...

Racket wrote: »
    Slowly beginning to worry, with all the epic live clips, that T2L may be perfect...

It will be far from perfect but honestly these few live clips have restored my faith in the album!

hypermuse wrote: »
    It will be far from perfect but honestly these few live clips have restored my faith in the album!

Well already getting pretty close for me. My love for Madness and Survival is growing by the day. Unsustainable has stuck around in the back of my mind but will probably totally love it once it comes completely together with Isolated System judging by how the first 30 seconds of that sounds from http://connectome.muse.mu/0x0013c / http://connectome.muse.mu/mp3/is.mp3 (Warning for those avoiding: Second link is direct link to clip of IS!)

Animals sounds great too, Supremacy left my jaw on the floor, Panic Station sent my jaw through the floor with being a dirty little piece of funky awesome. Just need to give the clips of Follow Me and Save Me a good listen and then wait for the rest of the album. I've only ever been blown away by this number of songs on first listens with Absolution with any band, so even if the other 5 songs go against the flow I'm getting and make me want to jump off a bridge, I'll have a special 3 years or so of this era to enjoy to the fullest. :D

Panic station sounds incredible! Think that will defo be my favourite on the album. What a super funky sound!!!! Can picture myself listening to that with headphones in and trying my best not to dance while trying to walking to tesco!

I really like maddness and unsustainable is catchy but survival, whilst it has rocking riffs the lyrics are too painful!!

Have to say the mix song types on the album is astounding, "dubstep" (unsustaintable), funk (Panic stations), proper rocking riffs (supremecy), cheese (survival), mellow (save me).

Also really glad to see Chris doing some proper vocals, he is well able, not as well able as Matt, and deserves the chance! Plus it gives Matt the chance to do more creative things on the guitar that may prove too difficult to do whilst singing simultaneously!

• Advertisement

Hmmmm I think people are getting a little carried away with a few rough live videos. Nothing wrong with that per se but those links aren't really enough to tell how good/bad the songs are.

A lot of convincing to do after the first two awful singles anyway.

Hmmmm I think people are getting a little carried away with a few rough live videos. Nothing wrong with that per se but those links aren't really enough to tell how good/bad the songs are.

A lot of convincing to do after the first two awful singles anyway.

Panic Station man!! PANIC STATION!! Got that tune so deeply embedded in my head now! Love it!

Has anybody seen the supposed ads in the Independent about Muse playing Dublin in a few weeks? Someone mentioned it over on the Muse messageboard, and there's a google ad.

'Muse live at The O2 - For one night only Nov 3rd 2012.

www.ticketmaster.ie/Muse-Tickets

Official Tickets On Sale Now.'

No I have seen it :O WANT though!!

A3Znu8tCEAA3ktv.jpg

Awesone news, what does that number say that has the yellow line behind it?

miralize wrote: »
    Awesone news, what does that number say that has the yellow line behind it?

The line through the small print or the line through the 'AT' in the ticket sale info?

Prices are €55-€60 btw, and some odd cent, can't remember, just ran into the shop to have a look at it to see if it was true. :D

1st Ive heard of it.. nothing on Ticketmaster or Muse.mu!!

Figured they would have to have a Dublin date thou..

And its fairly soon too :D

• Advertisement

hypermuse wrote: »
    1st Ive heard of it.. nothing on Ticketmaster or Muse.mu!!

Figured they would have to have a Dublin date thou..

Suppose the .mu announcement might be Monday and the ads went out a little early. Might have a few other gigs around Europe to announce for their gaps along with Dublin, would be surprised if it gets announced on its own!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bowies in Space

Googled Muse this morning (with the aim of checking any 2nd Law updates) when I saw this google ad:

8013584846_58c87e00a8_z.jpg

As you can imagine, I was fairly sceptical at first, since they announced the rest of the Europe tour in June! (and their gig in November 2009 also went on sale in June '09 too) But then when I heard about the ad in the Independent, I finally felt safe to get excited !!! Definitely going to be there ... we're getting very fortunate with some of the gigs this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Nulzy

Love that the ad got a whole page :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Staceeeeey

Its still a bit weird that its not up on .mu hope its announced officially monday, really dont wanna miss thi!

I've been humming along to Panic Station all day... definitely one of their most catchy songs :)

And Supremacy is just bonkers/crazy/brilliant! I cant wait for the album to come out now after those leaks

Album has leaked!

• Advertisement

I think they leaked it themselves. they had already planned to stream it online, check it out!

The 2nd law stream details

Yeah it was streaming on an Aussie streaming site, but only available for there. Its around by now :)
    Album is amazing bar, Explorers & Survival really

The Dublin date is up on Muse.mu now.

Woop Woop! Pre-sale Thursday!!

Anyone else think from listening to the studio version of Supremacy, that it would make a cracking theme for Skyfall? Muse are on SNL with Daniel Craig on October 6th too, maybe not a coincidence :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement