Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Muse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

I kinda like madness when it was first dropped but this live version is just incredible! Works so well!!! Love it now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mushy wrote: »
    Yeah they did. But as much as I love those albums, they'd be more irrelevant than ever if kept writing those songs. They are beginning to mellow out with old age.

Which is sad to see
    If you don't like those last two songs, then what do you make of Exogenesis?

Self indulgent **** tbh. I never listen to the second half of The Resistance.

That video of Madness had me dozing off after two minutes, it really is dull as anything until the solo kicks in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Which is sad to see

Self indulgent **** tbh. I never listen to the second half of The Resistance.

That video of Madness had me dozing off after two minutes, it really is dull as anything until the solo kicks in.

Bit of a stupid comment to make. All music is "self indulgent".

I think in an ideal world everyone would want another OoS, but whats the point? Muse already did that, and moved on. They're not on shrooms anymore, they have families - of course they're going to mellow out.

Its crazy that people are writing off the album after perhaps one or two listens. I hated Explorers & Save Me after the first go, but they're not bad songs, they're just the weakest. And there are plenty examples of "heavy" Muse on this album Supremacy, Liquid State, the solos in Survival, Panic Station (to a degree). I will agree that the production is not the greatest, but what can you do...

You cant really totally judge Muse on listening to an album either. It will definitely be interesting for me at least to see, how these songs fare live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

The problem is that Muse were really good at a particular type of music, and the new stuff is simply not as good. I'm sure there are legions are fans who like the new stuff and there's nothing wrong with that. It just seems that after casting off the aggressive edge of their older style they haven't replaced it with anything else, and the new stuff just seems a bit going-through-the-motions. It's not 'deep' enough into any of the genres they thrust their hips at.

[edit]Managed to stick through the whole thing there, and the very last song would actually be pretty good if it didn't have the cheesy samples. Enjoyed that one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

Moaners be damned. It's pretty decent after my second proper listen. I still don't like the stupid crap in Unsustainable which is a shame as it'd be a nice tune apart from that. I can't really get used to Chris' songs but I guess I'll give them another few listens.

Supremacy, Madness, Panic Station, Survival, Big Freeze are all great tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Whoa, I detested Resistance, but I think.. I might actually like this! I'm so happy! I like what I've heard on shuffle so far anyway - 4 songs. :P

Save Me will definitely take a few listens but Liquid State is pretty good. Cant wait to hear that live

Save me and Explorers for me are the weakest. Much prefer liquid state to save me.

Love most of the 1st half of the album.

Panic Station is hopping!

solarith wrote: »
    Panic Station is hopping!

Cant get it outa my head!! Its just too funky!!

• Advertisement

hypermuse wrote: »
    Cant get it outa my head!! Its just too funky!!
    And suddenly, dancing happened!

solarith wrote: »
    And suddenly, dancing happened!

I'm telling ya its dangerous to listen to panic station while walking anywhere.. Before you know it your busting some shapes!

Midget_dancing.gif

miralize wrote: »
    Bit of a stupid comment to make. All music is "self indulgent".

There are different levels though. They could have made Exogenesis in to one long song in a Citizen Erased fashion but instead had it as three painful tracks. Less is more sometimes.
    I think in an ideal world everyone would want another OoS, but whats the point? Muse already did that, and moved on. They're not on shrooms anymore, they have families - of course they're going to mellow out.

Sure but we don't all have to buy into it. When your favourite band takes such a dramatic turn for the worst over the course of two albums it's understandable to be pissed.
    Its crazy that people are writing off the album after perhaps one or two listens. I hated Explorers & Save Me after the first go, but they're not bad songs, they're just the weakest. And there are plenty examples of "heavy" Muse on this album Supremacy, Liquid State, the solos in Survival, Panic Station (to a degree). I will agree that the production is not the greatest, but what can you do...

I've given it a good ten listens and still hold the same opinion. Supremecy is the closest thing to an 'old school' Muse song while the rest is like a pop version of The Resistance for the most part.

I definitely think Explorers, Save Me and Panic Station are bad songs. Survival as well actually, and the first two mundane minutes of Madness (nice alliteration there!).
    You cant really totally judge Muse on listening to an album either. It will definitely be interesting for me at least to see, how these songs fare live.

Agree with you there and I'll go see them if they come out my way but it won't be with anywhere near the excitement I had previously. The main interest will be to see if they throw any obscure old tracks in to the mix, though going by previous tours I'd be lucky to get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just heard Panic Station on jools Holland...so damn good, its even better live. So is Madness, but don't love that song. The "bass" in it is crazy. They'll be so much better live.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I honestly cant believe people like Panic Station, all i can assume is these people only started listening to Muse with their last album, or through a Twilight soundtrack.

Been listening to them just after Absolution thanks. It's just something different - a fun track that definitely has traditional Muse elements (the solo) with funk infused with it, its far from their best, but its definitely one of their most catchy songs

Melion wrote: »
    I honestly cant believe people like Panic Station, all i can assume is these people only started listening to Muse with their last album, or through a Twilight soundtrack.

I love panic station. Favourite song on the album tbh and I've been a muse fan since Showbiz, no word of a lie! Just cant get it outa my head.. So infectious!
    Mushy wrote: »
    Just heard Panic Station on jools Holland...so damn good, its even better live. So is Madness, but don't love that song. The "bass" in it is crazy. They'll be so much better live.

I thought Madness was alright when I first heard it but after hearing it live on Jools Holland :eek: Sounds amazing!! Love it now, the song progresses really well!

Oh and I just printed my tickets to see them live in the O2 in October!!

Cant wait!! even if the new album is average at best, there live performances are just incredible! I honestly think you if didnt even have muse you'd still love their gig if you went!

I wonder how many songs from Showbiz and OoS will actually make the setlist these days. Plug in Baby is the only staple left I think :(

I wonder how many songs from Showbiz and OoS will actually make the setlist these days. Plug in Baby is the only staple left I think :(

True that.. Tis quite sad!

I read that they have started playing muscle museum in rehearsals again thou!! :D Fantastic news!

I've been lucky enough that at every muse gig I've been too (about 12-13, lost count) they have always played either microcuts or citizen erased!! Love those songs live, particularly CE!!

Problem with a live tour after an album release is that most of the setlist obviously is from the album!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

Citizen Erased is the best. Seen them playing it a few of times.

For the first time ever I don't think I'll even try go see them. A bit over them now and the new album isn't bringing me back. Resistance was the beginning, this new album looks to be the final nail in the coffin.

So who's going to be my new favourite band?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

New Born is a must too

budgemook wrote: »
    Citizen Erased is the best. Seen them playing it a few of times.

For the first time ever I don't think I'll even try go see them. A bit over them now and the new album isn't bringing me back. Resistance was the beginning, this new album looks to be the final nail in the coffin.

So who's going to be my new favourite band?

Started to lean that way myself.. my infatuation with the every new album has become less and less over the last few years!

Was thinking bout missing the gig but then I realised the main reason I fell in love with muse, that they are the best live band I have ever seen!!

Thats the reason i wont be going. If i wanted to see some old lads "bringing the funk" then id waste my money on RHCP

Probably the best live band I have seen myself (strong competition from Rage Against The Machine) but their new songs aren't for me, their performances have traded energetic rocking out for U2-esque spectacles (age a factor I know) and I certainly won't be queueing up or refreshing a ticketmaster page for one. If there are a few left near the gig I might go.

Anyways, I thought they said recently that they were reverting to smaller performances and their rock music roots? WTF happened with that?

Probably the best live band I have seen myself (strong competition from Rage Against The Machine) but their new songs aren't for me, their performances have traded energetic rocking out for U2-esque spectacles (age a factor I know) and I certainly won't be queueing up or refreshing a ticketmaster page for one. If there are a few left near the gig I might go.

Anyways, I thought they said recently that they were reverting to smaller performances and their rock music roots? WTF happened with that?

lol clearly not!!

I'm not a huge fan of their over the top stage props. Would much prefer if it was just them on stage and maybe a few strobe lights and those incredible starlight lasers!

I hate to sound like a complete music snob but what has happened the band i loved :(

Here's a question. Have any band remained excellent after 6 or 7 albums? Should bands just quit after 3 or 4. I can't think of many bands who remained as good as the started out as after album number 3 or 4. Radiohead are a maybe but their latest album is crap and everything after OK Computer really split their fans. Bloc Party went to feck after their second (4th is attrocious), Smashing Pumpkins, Greenday (who I never liked after Dookie tbh), RHCP... All bands who started out amazing but ended up a bit crap. Funnily enough a lot of them were at their commerical peak when they were at their worst.

All of this is just my opinion of course. I hope nobody accuses me of stopping liking a band when they get too famous, lots of people say that but it's stupid. Muse were selling out stadiums while I still loved them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Here's a question. Have any band remained excellent after 6 or 7 albums? Should bands just quit after 3 or 4. I can't think of many bands who remained as good as the started out as after album number 3 or 4. Radiohead are a maybe but their latest album is crap and everything after OK Computer really split their fans. Bloc Party went to feck after their second (4th is attrocious), Smashing Pumpkins, Greenday (who I never liked after Dookie tbh), RHCP... All bands who started out amazing but ended up a bit crap. Funnily enough a lot of them were at their commerical peak when they were at their worst.

'In Rainbows' is arguably Radiohead's best album and I wouldn't be alone in thinking that. Blur were still churning out quality right up to album number 7. Can't think of many others though.

• Advertisement

In rainbows is just as good as Ok Computer imo!!

I'd be careful with radiohead banter in a muse thread thou.. its never gonna end pretty!! might cause people to run their panic stations (i'll get my coat)

Radiohead, as I said, are the closest but I don't know anyone who would say In Rainbows is better than OK Computer. I'm a big Radiohead fan but they certainly split the fans after OK Computer. In Rainbows was universally praised alright but seemed to be a flash in the pan as the King of Limbs is muck :-)

Blur are one of these bands that improved IMO. Some of their earlier stuff is awful.

oh I'm not arguing with ya.. I think your dead right! Its tough for a band to keep up to the same level they once achieved.

The problem with alot bands is that once they have achieved something then they tend to move and try something different. They have achieved something so why try achieve it again.

Muse themselves as a band don't need another OoS, they want to try something completely different now to challenge themselves and they can because they know they have "made it". Its not like they need the money.

Yeah and I wouldn't like bands to keep churning out the same old crap (Greenday) but it's just very few bands manage to find something new while still staying good / keeping their fans happy depending on how you want to look at it.

I suppose Blur are a good example as Stompbox said. They really came on as a band. I don't like that early Brit Pop stuff they had but some of their later albums like Think Tank are great. Pink Floyd are a great example actually. Their sound changed over the years and they remained awesome. Many will disagree though.

Muse aren't a good example IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jebus58

<SNIP>

No ticket swapping or selling.

Try www.toutless.com

try tomorrow at 9am. Todays tickets were presale..

• Advertisement

jebus58 wrote: »
    <snip>

Yea you jumped the gun a bit there unfortunately mate

Was only pre-sale on today so only a limited amount of tickets were made available....

The bulk of the tickets go on sale tomorrow at 10:00am!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Dunno if this has been put up yet but the full album is available to listen to on RTEs website...

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0925/musealbum.html

Kings of Leon are another. First 2 albums were incredible, 3rd wasn't good enough and then the 4th was embarassing.

Well this is what I'm saying. I think all bands, almost without exception, go crap eventually. KOL a no mark band IMO anyways. Should be lumped into same category as the likes of Kasabian.

I'd still put Muse in with Radiohead though. Shame both bands latest efforts have disappointed me so much.

Dunno if this has been put up yet but the full album is available to listen to on RTEs website...

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0925/musealbum.html

Yea muse allowed it to be streamed in most countries as of Monday I think.. Been alot of opinions flying around about the new album!

Melion wrote: »
    Kings of Leon are another. First 2 albums were incredible, 3rd wasn't good enough and then the 4th was embarassing.

Loved the 1st and 2nd KoL albums! 3rd wasnt bad, but they lost their unique sound with that album imo but it certainly wasnt bad.

Their 4th album was not great at all and their 5th was honestly the biggest pile of $hite I had heard in a long time!

It is tough for bands to stay original and keep pumping out amazing albums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Hmmm...

Like the last 2 offerings I'm going to reserve judgement on this until I see what they do with it live

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Hmmm...

Like the last 2 offerings I'm going to reserve judgement on this until I see what they do with it live

Live is what muse are all about for me!! Its the best thing about them!

The ending of Madness is amazing, totally drawn into it,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Hmmm it's alright I suppose.... better than the Resistance. I might get scalped but Black Holes & Revelations for me is their most 'complete' album, and their previous stuff is excellent. I was going to skip this album after the disappointment of The Resistance. Will have to give a few more listens before making final judgements I suppose.

Argh,

I bought a ticket anyways. Of course I did.

It'll be a great show regardless, I'm very confident of that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Best song off the new album I reckon. Its not a bad album at all, I think it will just take a couple of listens. It is a huge departure from their old stuff but every band has to try and evolve their music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Standing tickets all sold out :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I was never the biggest Muse fan it has to be said. Pretty Mediocre and generally over-rated IMO...

I like the new song Madness though.... But I can't help but feel it was heavily influenced by U2's numb!?

The pacing, the style in parts is very similar.... Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Listening to the album now for about the 8th time and it's growing on me. I still think the last two tracks are utter indulgence for Muse (as the last 3 were on Resistance) but the other songs are slowly working their way into my head. I find myself humming a few.

Nevertheless, I'd like it very much if they went back to their roots with the next album. If Foo Fighters can throw out something like Wasting Light which is primarily guitar based and every bit as fresh and enjoyable to listen to as their earlier works, then there's no reason Muse can't too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement