Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Muse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Do you have the Roundhouse gig set list? :)

skip to 10mins in.. gig starts there.. not the best of performances imo

miralize wrote: »
    You could hear his voice struggling with a few songs last night. He'd pass out trying to sing SS :P

yea his voice wasn't that great (certainly was far from impressive) but I also think the sound engineer fecked up a bit.. For what was supposed to be backing vocals in most songs, his voice was just too loud and overstated!

Save me is not an easy song to listen too...

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

Ah, the Roundhouse gig was brilliant. That new album has so much energy live, delighted to have been there. Follow Me is a beast live. And Survival was amazeballs. As was pretty much every song off the album played. And even after having MotP at every gig I've been to, glad to hear it again. Was worried it would be lost in the new setlist mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

hypermuse wrote: »

yea his voice wasn't that great (certainly was far from impressive) but I also think the sound engineer fecked up a bit.. For what was supposed to be backing vocals in most songs, his voice was just too loud and overstated!

Save me is not an easy song to listen too...

I had to mute it for a bit... hard enough song to sing, but with nervousness too... he'll get better, hopefully he'll do liquid state instead later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

(Send Away the Tigers & Journal for Plague Lovers) are arguably some of their strongest output since The Holy Bible

:D

Racket wrote: »
    Ah, the Roundhouse gig was brilliant. That new album has so much energy live, delighted to have been there. Follow Me is a beast live. And Survival was amazeballs. As was pretty much every song off the album played. And even after having MotP at every gig I've been to, glad to hear it again. Was worried it would be lost in the new setlist mix.

when your there your always gonna enjoy it more! MotP is one of my favourite muse songs.. Would be devastated if they didn't play it come November!

I'd prefer MotP instead of starlight anyway thats for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

MOTP probably the 2nd best song of black holes and revelations, Knights of Macedonia being the best. Starlight is great though. It's my drivin' across the Nullarbor song from Australia. Had just come out and I'll always associate the song with that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

That setlist is very very disappointing :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Anyone else think the new album is a bit lazy?

Far too many melody lines on the new record that are uncomfortably familiar.
    Madness sounds like a slowed down version of George Michael's Faith, there's melodies/arrangements lifted from Queen's Don't Stop Me Now, Radiohead's No Surprises, Michael Jackson's Thriller, Zep's Kashmir....and that's only in the first half of the record.

Uprising had the Sabbath/Blondie reference, but I can't get my head around why they have so many really obvious melodic references to other songs on The 2nd Law.

As a fan, it's a huge turn off for me tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭Decade of Decadence

You're not disagreeing with me I see :)

fitz wrote: »
    Anyone else think the new album is a bit lazy?

Far too many melody lines on the new record that are uncomfortably familiar.
    Madness sounds like a slowed down version of George Michael's Faith, there's melodies/arrangements lifted from Queen's Don't Stop Me Now, Radiohead's No Surprises, Michael Jackson's Thriller, Zep's Kashmir....and that's only in the first half of the record.

Uprising had the Sabbath/Blondie reference, but I can't get my head around why they have so many really obvious melodic references to other songs on The 2nd Law.

As a fan, it's a huge turn off for me tbh.

My girlfriend said EXACTLY the same thing.

I did not the similarities, but didn't think there was THAT many at first.

Still though, think it's a solid, 7/10 album.

Basically re-inventing the wheel as far as Muse are concerned, but much prefer this to The Resistance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Xavi6 wrote: »
    That setlist is very very disappointing :(
    Regardless of everything else, overlooking they've just released a new album and want to promote it, ignoring they're not the same type of band as they once were.. where is hell is Hysteria!??!?

Its now called Panic Station :P

^^^ Blasphemy

^^^ Blasphemy

Same solo more or less! And arent you just the most negative person about the 2nd law.It's not that bad...

solarith wrote: »
    Regardless of everything else, overlooking they've just released a new album and want to promote it, ignoring they're not the same type of band as they once were.. where is hell is Hysteria!??!?

they only played one song from absolution, that being TiRo.. *sigh*:(

At least they played 2 from OOS :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

(Send Away the Tigers & Journal for Plague Lovers) are arguably some of their strongest output since The Holy Bible

Switch The Holy Bible to Everything Must Go and you'd be spot on.

Same solo more or less! And arent you just the most negative person about the 2nd law.It's not that bad...

I possibly am and it *is* that bad imo, music being subjective and all that.

I'm not challenging you, you have a right to be let down! It's just interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

^^^ Blasphemy

Had much more fun during Panic Station than the 3 times with Hysteria anyhow. :p

• Advertisement

^^^ Blasphemy

Read a review somewhere online which said something along the lines of that the album is hit and miss, when they hit it's a bullseye, but when they miss they miss completely.
    It's unreasonable to expect a band like Muse not to evolve, but one of the best things about the band was that their albums never seemed to have a bad song on them. Even then, if they did, it grew on you. Especially if you heard a song on the album that they had started doing different things with live. The early album tours were amazing as you didn't know what to expect, the last ones have been choreographed so much that it's removed that sense of unexpectedness, which is a pity.

I'm not challenging you, you have a right to be let down! It's just interesting :)

Without wanting to sound like a Muse snob, the sound is just all wrong. People getting to describe songs as "fun" and "funky" is not what I want from them, hence why I think Panic Station is such drivel for example.

I first saw Muse in 2002 and looking back at that setlist, they're now a completely different band apart from one or two songs and are now appealing to the type of people who wouldn't have given them the time of day.

Here's the setlist, and it still has that wow factor, something I can't say at all about the one posted earlier on. I guess that's the difference for me.
    Space Dementia
    Hysteria
    New Born
    Micro Cuts
    Dead Star
    Citizen Erased
    Sunburn
    Uno
    Megalomania
    Feeling Good
    In Your World
    Hyper Music
    Muscle Museum
    Plug In Baby
    Bliss

Without wanting to sound like a Muse snob, the sound is just all wrong. People getting to describe songs as "fun" and "funky" is not what I want from them, hence why I think Panic Station is such drivel for example.

I first saw Muse in 2002 and looking back at that setlist, they're now a completely different band apart from one or two songs and are now appealing to the type of people who wouldn't have given them the time of day.

Here's the setlist, and it still has that wow factor, something I can't say at all about the one posted earlier on. I guess that's the difference for me.

yea but that was 10 years ago thou man.. Almost everybody who has commented on this thread would agree that that setlist trumps most setlists from the last 8-10 years say!

But its time to move on!! You cant expect a band to release 2-3 fantastic albums and then live off them for the rest of their lives!
    People would get bored of it.. Muse themselves would get bored of it, hence why they have moved on and evolved to a different sound.

It may not suit everybody, each to their own opinion and all that

Cool_CM wrote: »

Switch The Holy Bible to Everything Must Go and you'd be spot on.

Journal is stronger than EMG in my opinion!

Set list when I saw them in the Button Factory/Temple Bar Mysic Centre in May 2000

Fillip
    Riff
    Sunburn
    Cave
    Plug In Baby
    Agitated
    Uno
    Sober
    Ashamed
    Unintended
    Muscle Museum
    Showbiz

Sooooooooo good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

You're not disagreeing with me I see :)

Remove them damn shades!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Muse played Bliss tonight in Paris :D Theres still hope yet :)

iMuse wrote: »

Not really, it was played at the expense of Plug In Baby, and I'd much prefer to here P.I.B to Bliss live.

This must be the first time in 12 years they've not played it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Do people actually like the new album?

I do. I like their older stuff much more but I like the new stuff too.

iMuse wrote: »

great to hear but would also personally prefer to hear PiB than bliss! Well really I'd love to hear both!!

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »

Love Supremacy and Panic Station, meh about the others so far, but will give it a proper listen today

Love Supremacy and Panic Station, meh about the others so far, but will give it a proper listen today

I'm loving madness.. The live version they did on Jools Holland is brilliant! Made me appreciate the song alot more for some reason. Have it on my phone now and everything.

hypermuse wrote: »

I'm loving madness.. The live version they did on Jools Holland is brilliant! Made me appreciate the song alot more for some reason. Have it on my phone now and everything.

Quite like Animals at the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

SantryRed wrote: »

Yes. I find it very enjoyable. I like every song on the album. I do find Unsustainable to be the weakest of the lot but this version of it is better imo http://soundcloud.com/lukehmuse/unsustainble-no-news-reporter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Wing126 wrote: »
    Yes. I find it very enjoyable. I like every song on the album. I do find Unsustainable to be the weakest of the lot but this version of it is better imo http://soundcloud.com/lukehmuse/unsustainble-no-news-reporter

You like Survival?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Yep. Very enjoyable and intense, it would be an amazing song to see live I think.

Panic Station will be deadly live :)

Survival is a nice song musically.. Its just hard to forgive those horrendous lyrics!

In my attempts to get this on my phone as soon as possible I fupped up the synch and it's now the only music I have to listen to. In fairness, it's a grower. Quite liking Explorers and Liquid State above all others.
    Follow me just reminds me of Freddie's Living on my own and you can totally imagine them writing supremacy with the specific aim of being a Bond song as opposed to Dom coming out and saying the other day that it would just suit it.
    All in all, it's not the Muse I love but it's not the worst.

In fairness it's a would be cracking Bond song. Hopefully its included in the end-credits or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Have been listening to the album for the last few days and have to say, it's definitely improved with repeated listens. It's not as instantly compelling to listen to as their older stuff, but give it some time and the songs are growers. I actually quite like it now, apart from Panic Station which still sounds like a Queen-meets-Inxs cheesefest no matter how many times I listen to it.

Go listen to the opening few lines of 'Explorers' and tell me it's not a complete rip off of Queens 'Dont Stop Me Now'

Go listen to the opening few lines of 'Explorers' and tell me it's not a complete rip off of Queens 'Dont Stop Me Now'

It has a similar tempo on piano, but a totally different arrangement and tone so no ......... I don't think it's a complete rip off of Queens 'Dont Stop Me Now'. And I say that as a massive Queen fan whio generally doesn't like bands who try and emulate them.

It has a similar tempo on piano, but a totally different arrangement and tone so no ......... I don't think it's a complete rip off of Queens 'Dont Stop Me Now'. And I say that as a massive Queen fan whio generally doesn't like bands who try and emulate them.

From reading YouTube comments a lot of people beg to differ!

Madness also reminds me of 'Its a kind of Magic'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

From reading YouTube comments a lot of people beg to differ!

Madness also reminds me of 'Its a kind of Magic'
    I don't think YouTube comments are the best source of reasoned debate :p

There is alot of Queen sounds in their songs, and not just from their new this album. I don't know how that is supposed to be a bad thing tbh.

But to call it a rip off of Queen is just wrong.. Yea it has a similar sound but they are hardly blantly trying to rip off Queen now!

Nothing wrong with showing where your inspiration comes from in some songs.

Exactly.

You might pick out a similar note here or there, but the same could be said of many songs/bands. Muse are very obviously inspired by Queen, and that's been known for a while based on their last few albums. However I wouldn't say any of their songs are a ripoff.

Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice - that's an example of a Queen rip-off. I think they even went to court over it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

They're not ripping of any songs entirely.
    But they are taking very recognisable melody lines from other songs and re-using them - as I said in a previous post.
    Personally, I think it's lazy from a band as talented as Muse.

fitz wrote: »
    They're not ripping of any songs entirely.
    But they are taking very recognisable melody lines from other songs and re-using them - as I said in a previous post.
    Personally, I think it's lazy from a band as talented as Muse.

Well said

• Advertisement

They have never been afraid to wear their influences on their sleeves but I feel they've taken it a step too far

Advertisement