Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Muse

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Kold wrote: »
    Poor trolling imo. The correct thing to say is "HAI GUISE, I HERD COLDPLAY AND QUEEN DID A COLLABORATION, I LUV IT."

I think the dislike mostly comes from a 'Oh boy did they get sh*t' point of view which is one I'd come from. They're talented musicians no doubt but the music seems so damn superficial. Especially BHaR and what I've heard from this latest album. It just sounds so disgustingly self indulgent. I watched that Eurasia song and saw that they had a pretty large orchestra and I thought to myself; "Wow, that's a lot of talented musicians drafted in for what is essentially, an unexciting and not really that complex piece of music." But also when shows like MTV big them up as the greatest contemporary British band it gets on most peoples nerves. It's stadium wankery of a greater magnitude than U2.

Also, look at Matt's f*cking hair.

Some people call that beautiful:D

I also cant believe U2 was put into this...muse would blow them out of any stadium worldwide.

And yes, the hair...the hair is central to what Muse stand for:rolleyes:

Peopleneed to realise Muse have changed. Utterly pointless comparing this offering to any other album, its very diverse from anything they've done before. If ya hate it cos its not like other albums, fair enough, but that can make me believe that you want the band to stay the same, and that restrics them. If they stayed the same as Absolution, they'd go around in circles, and that would get boring. For me, from one perspective(the diversity), I really enjoy this, and from another perspective,I don't. still find the positives outweigh the negatives, USoE is only song I don't like by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I just heard Uprising today... Is Matt Bellamy only able to write songs about being the morally-true underdog in a futuristic battle for justice with "The Man"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Blackpitts wrote: »
    hehehe, one gret video for the Muse's fans.

They were the special guests yesterday for then sunday afternoon show on the national television in Italy, they wanted to play live but the management refused to allow them to do so...they had to sing in playback.

at that point Matthew Bellamy swapped his place with D. James at the drums and James did the lead singer...the presenter didn't even know that she was interviewing the fake singer at the end...hilarious!!!!

http://video.excite.it/video/27137/Ventura-gaffe-con-i-Muse-a-Quelli-che-il-calcio

Haha quality! Not the first time they've done this.
    Btw who's James?:confused:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

queen rip off:rolleyes: this gets me every time if people actually took time to listen to all their albums they would find their music constantly changes and i thinks thats whats so unique and brilliant about muse.

The new album is good but it aint their best although i do love the uprising and the last track.

people that say they are a queen rip off really dont have a clue about music!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I kinda stopped listening to Muse when I stopped going out with a girl who was madly into them, and listening to the new stuff, it's gone further from where they were, and seems to be missing the point of what Muse were...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

After some pretty extensive listening the past week, I'd say my favourite songs in order goes...

Resistance
    Exogenesis (1>2>3)
    Unnatural Selection
    Undisclosed Desires
    MK Ultra
    Uprising
    I Belong To You
    Guiding Light
    United States of Eurasia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

major bill wrote: »
    queen rip off:rolleyes: this gets me every time if people actually took time to listen to all their albums they would find their music constantly changes and i thinks thats whats so unique and brilliant about muse.

The new album is good but it aint their best although i do love the uprising and the last track.

people that say they are a queen rip off really dont have a clue about music!!
    The problem is that the Queen sound is so distinct that it's going to lead to claims of ripping them off. I can understand the argument a lot more than the earlier Radiohead comparisons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

S.M.B. wrote: »
    The problem is that the Queen sound is so distinct that it's going to lead to claims of ripping them off. I can understand the argument a lot more than the earlier Radiohead comparisons.

ive heard the so called ''queen bits'' in the album but to call it a rip off is wrong!!! an inspiration would be the word id use.musicians have been doing it for years i wouldnt exactly call it a rip off and i know its not you saying it im just saying in general.

Think some extra tickets going on sale for this, "now that stage setup has been finalised". Just says all UK dates except Scotland, so not fully sure. Pre-sale ones tomorrow at 9, general on Friday at 9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Mushy wrote: »
    Some people call that beautiful:D

Yeah, people say the same about Jordan. Different strokes I suppose.
    I also cant believe U2 was put into this...muse would blow them out of any stadium worldwide.

I wasn't saying either band were better, just that both feel most at home musically masturbating on the main stage of some stadium.
    And yes, the hair...the hair is central to what Muse stand for:rolleyes:

Was meant as a humourous statement but while we're at it.. What do Muse stand for?
    Peopleneed to realise Muse have changed. Utterly pointless comparing this offering to any other album, its very diverse from anything they've done before. If ya hate it cos its not like other albums, fair enough, but that can make me believe that you want the band to stay the same, and that restrics them. If they stayed the same as Absolution, they'd go around in circles, and that would get boring. For me, from one perspective(the diversity), I really enjoy this, and from another perspective,I don't. still find the positives outweigh the negatives, USoE is only song I don't like by now.

Nah, I don't dislike it because it's different from their old stuff. I'm pretty indifferent to their old stuff. There were flashes of decent songs on their early albums but there's a difference between diversifying and watering down which is what they've done imo. Nine Inch Nails or Radiohead were groups that constantly tried to push and experiment, Muse just seemingly got more and more catchy whilst the lyrics became more and more nonsensical. I just think it's a shame because they are obviously very talented musicians. Just too safe.

This is simply in reply to someone asking what people's problems with Muse are. I'm not trying to go out of my way to slate them, just trying to say why I look like :rolleyes: when their songs come on in the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

major bill wrote: »

It's hardly unique to Muse. Any self-respecting band should be changing constantly. I don't see why Muse should get such great respect for doing something that, imo, they should do without question. They still seem to be relying on their old tricks - vocal harmonies, faux-metal guitars, same usual themes, the old "epic chorus".

And those big staccato guitar notes in Uprising sound VERY familiar...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mandude

Must say I'm disappointed with their latest album. The symphony songs were bland and went no where.

Kold wrote: »
    Yeah, people say the same about Jordan. Different strokes I suppose.

Yeah, similar point I was making.

Kold wrote:
    Was meant as a humourous statement but while we're at it.. What do Muse stand for?

Bombastic sounds/songs, impressive musicianship, high-quality songwriting(bar lyrics obviously), a band not afraid of experimenting with different influences. Things like that, although I probably shouldn't have said 'stand for'.

Kold wrote:
    Nah, I don't dislike it because it's different from their old stuff. I'm pretty indifferent to their old stuff. There were flashes of decent songs on their early albums but there's a difference between diversifying and watering down which is what they've done imo. Nine Inch Nails or Radiohead were groups that constantly tried to push and experiment, Muse just seemingly got more and more catchy whilst the lyrics became more and more nonsensical. I just think it's a shame because they are obviously very talented musicians. Just too safe.

I don't think they got more catchy, its more that the same few tunes are played over and over, which are ultimately, and unfortunately IMO, the catchier ones(I'm looking Starlights direction). They are just more mainstream by now, but that shouldn't dampen the quality of anything, and IMO, it hasn't. Taken as a whole, the album has great tracks. I wouldn't class many of the songs on it as safe by any stretch of the imagination.

Was at a house party last night, and fairly sure it was the radio that was on, but I was thinking this needs some new random Muse track. Cue for massive drum sounds, and Guiding Light playing. And I had ust been saying its perceived as the worst song on the album haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 nlm1980

Fact : Matt Belamy is a f**kin genius!!!!
    Fact : They WILL rock the O2 in November
    Fact : I will be there Oh Yes!!!!

Rock On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

All I can say is epic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Took a few listens to get into some tracks, but all in all a very good album. Can't wait to see what they do with some of the middle tracks live.
    I knew I had heard some aspects of Exogenesis before, Matt must have been watching Das Boot:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Muse have remixed I belong to you for some new vampire movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

its disgusting :O heard it a while back. I like the original much more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 nlm1980

Yup, and its crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

Anybody got tickets going for the gig in the o2, i have two but i know a friend who is looking for two also....

Must kicked off their tour in Helsinki last night. Here's the set list.
    1. Uprising
    2. Resistance
    3. New Born
    4. Map of the Problematique
    5. Supermassive Black Hole
    6. Guiding Light
    7. Interlude + Hysteria
    8. United States of Eurasia
    9. Cave
    10. Études Simples #6 + Unintended
    11. Undisclosed Desires
    12. Starlight
    13. Plug In Baby
    14. Time Is Running Out
    15. Unnatural Selection
    Encore:
    16. Exogenesis: Symphony Part 1 (Overture)
    17. Stockholm Syndrome
    18. Man with a Harmonica intro + Knights of Cydonia

I was going to describe the set in great detail, but if pictures tell a 1000 words, then a HQ vid of Muse playing Exogenesis on pillars that raise up into the air = :D

Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Kevin Bacon

Cant believe in a thread about muse this wasnt mentioned...

So much respect for that:D

As for the album at first it was really good but becomes really underwhelming after a while, a bit overblown if i was honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

^^^^

You must not have read the whole thread cause it was posted over a month ago.

I know I'm not speaking for everyone here, but if anyone is posting a setlist, is it ok if ya put it in spoiler tags? I just really don't want to know the order of songs, and ehich songs are/aren't played before Dublin show. Don't wanna be narky about it, but Muse suck at making setlists, so there'd be no surprises if I saw one.

I know I'm not speaking for everyone here, but if anyone is posting a setlist, is it ok if ya put it in spoiler tags? I just really don't want to know the order of songs, and ehich songs are/aren't played before Dublin show. Don't wanna be narky about it, but Muse suck at making setlists, so there'd be no surprises if I saw one.

Yeah sure Mushy, apologies, I've edited my OP just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Saw them last night in Stockholm for the first time. I have a reasonable/passing interest in them it was a very enjoyable gig and the set was impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

The setlists are too damn samey so far on the tour, they're just the same songs from the BHAR tour with about five replacements from the resistance. All the old stuff is gone they even
    replaced unintended and cave with feeling good last night FFS

Its kind of a joke for a band as big as Muse with a five album catalogue to be playing the same old tired songs anyone who has seen them once in the past three years has seen before. I guarantee at the gig I will see about five songs that I've never seen live before and they will all be from the new album, stop playing Starlight and Supermassive Black Hole, mix the openers and closers about, play something from origin of symmetry that isn't feeling good, throw some of the live classics from absolution on, do something, we're paying 60 quid each for a ticket.

Told ye I didn't want to see setlists for this exact reason. It is disgraceful that with 5 albums, which contain such a back catalogue as theirs, that they'd do this. For some reason they don't rehearse a large enough pool of songs to vary the setlist. Take a band like Pearl Jam, play 20+ songs a night, the next night you could expect around 12-15 songs to be different. So boo-urns Muse, variation from a Twilight-oriented gig would be nice once every 3 years.

• Advertisement

I feel like bringing along a banner with PLAY HYPER MUSIC GODAMN IT! written on it.

Guys on the Muse boards are even ganging together and trying to get an official letter of complaint sent into Tom Kirk. I know its probably fruitless but good luck to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Speaking of setlists, was just looking over some old ones last night that I have collected from gigs over the years and I came across this one -

Muse - Temple Bar Music Centre (Button Factory) - May 11th 2000

Uno
    New Bown
    Muscle Museum
    Cave
    Fillip
    Feeling Good
    Unintended
    Hate This and I'll Love You
    Sober
    Agitated
    Plug In Baby
    Showbiz

Still to this day the best gig I've ever been at :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

My first gig was the Dublin Castle one in 2002 -

01. Space Dementia
    02. Hysteria
    03. New Born
    04. Micro Cuts
    05. Dead Star
    06. Citizen Erased
    07. Sunburn
    08. Uno
    09. Megalomania
    10. Feeling Good
    11. In Your World
    12. Hyper Music
    13. Muscle Museum
    14. Plug In Baby
    15. Bliss

:eek: such a fantastic setlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭budgemook

Downloaded the BBC live from Teignmouth thing. They do really good live versions of Eurasia and Undisclosed Desires. Really looking forward to it now. Wish they'd play Citizen Erased again though, Saw them Earls Court a few years ago:

1. Dracula Mountain [URL="javascript:void(0);"][/URL]
      2. Hysteria [URL="javascript:void(0);"][/URL]
      3. Butterflies & Hurricanes [URL="javascript:void(0);"][/URL]
      4. New Born [URL="javascript:void(0);"][/URL]
      5. Sing for Absolution [URL="javascript:void(0);"][/URL]
      6. Crying Shame [URL="javascript:void(0);"][/URL]
      7. Muscle Museum [URL="javascript:void(0);"][/URL]
      8. Citizen Erased [URL="javascript:void(0);"][/URL]
      9. Ruled by Secrecy [URL="javascript:void(0);"][/URL]
      10. Sunburn [URL="javascript:void(0);"][/URL]
      11. Thoughts of a Dying Atheist [URL="javascript:void(0);"][/URL]
      12. The Small Print [URL="javascript:void(0);"][/URL]
      13. Time Is Running Out [URL="javascript:void(0);"][/URL]
      14. Plug In Baby [URL="javascript:void(0);"][/URL]
      15. Bliss [URL="javascript:void(0);"][/URL]
      16. Encore:
      17. Dead Star [URL="javascript:void(0);"][/URL]
      18. Micro Cuts [URL="javascript:void(0);"][/URL]
      19. Encore 2:
      20. Apocalypse Please [URL="javascript:void(0);"][/URL]
      21. Stockholm Syndrome [URL="javascript:void(0);"][/URL]

Was Brilliant. Still though, Really looking forward to hearing some new stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

unfortunately one of the reasons that their setlists cant and wont change much is because of all of the theatrical elements and the light show. Id say the only have maybe five songs that they can chop and change as they only have basic lights/video for them. Any of the stuff like the moving pillars etc would be to the same song at every gig. So I wouldnt expect too many surprises different to the set above..

novarock wrote: »
    unfortunately one of the reasons that their setlists cant and wont change much is because of all of the theatrical elements and the light show. Id say the only have maybe five songs that they can chop and change as they only have basic lights/video for them. Any of the stuff like the moving pillars etc would be to the same song at every gig. So I wouldnt expect too many surprises different to the set above..

Was just about to post that.

Don't get me wrong, I love how they try go for the most outlandish sets and the crazy visual displays, but it should never be detrimental to their set list. We go to Muse gigs to hear songs, not stare at the lights. And I would much rather a stripped down set with a 22+ song set list than what we currently have.

Daysha wrote: »
    Was just about to post that.

Don't get me wrong, I love how they try go for the most outlandish sets and the crazy visual displays, but it should never be detrimental to their set list. We go to Muse gigs to hear songs, not stare at the lights. And I would much rather a stripped down set with a 22+ song set list than what we currently have.

Agreed, though theres nothing stopping them just using a generic light set up and live video of them playing on the screens for a few songs. When you look at the difference in actual gig qualiy between hullabaloo and haarp its actually quite staggering. The fans are there for the music, not some fancy light show.

I'm a long time fan and I like to hear the newest stuff when I see them. Otherwise, I might be pissed I didn't hear some of the new ones live. The older stuff is _very_ good quality music but they do play the heaviest old stuff so I'm ok with it.

I was glad to hear Cave, Sunburn, Deadstar Microcuts, Unintended, Forced In, Feeling Good, Space Dementia and a few others over the last few years so they definately do rotate some old ones.

There are things called bootlegs, ok, and they are a great source of old songs if that floats your boat- you get to hear songs played when they were in their prime :rolleyes:

unfortunately one of the reasons that their setlists cant and wont change much is because of all of the theatrical elements and the light show.

I would say some of their equipment only has a finate memory for the guitar effects (and loops) and is probably a limiting factor as well. Given that Matt changes guitar almost every song it's probably a bit of this and perfectionism that stops them rehearsing extra stuff. When you take into all the vocal effects, bass effects and synths they may only be able to rehearse a certain amount of stuff tightly for performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

aphex™ wrote: »
    I would say some of their equipment only has a finate memory for the guitar effects (and loops) and is probably a limiting factor as well. Given that Matt changes guitar almost every song it's probably a bit of this and perfectionism that stops them rehearsing extra stuff. When you take into all the vocal effects, bass effects and synths they may only be able to rehearse a certain amount of stuff tightly for performance.

when you are at that level, things like that arent controlled by the band. most of it would be midi controlled by the sound engineer. I would be surprised if matt even switched on his own distortions in a live setting.

Any other band without massive stage setups heavily alternate sets on tours of this scale, and generally would rehearse 40 - 50 songs before going on tour. look at any of the big bands that tour without audacious set ups..

when you are at that level, things like that arent controlled by the band. most of it would be midi controlled by the sound engineer. I would be surprised if matt even switched on his own distortions in a live setting.

Yeah I know that but even so.. how many Akai Deep Impacts can you use in a live setting? They're touchy little feckers and Chris uses a few other things to get his Bass tone. You can have engineers but after a certain point you get diminishing returns just by having too much equipment.
    Any other band without massive stage setups heavily alternate sets on tours of this scale, and generally would rehearse 40 - 50 songs before going on tour. look at any of the big bands that tour without audacious set ups..
    Yeah, but what do they sound like? If you're greenday and the tone of your songs all sound the same for every song you can do that. But we're talking about Muse here - they change guitars after every song just to get a different sound from different string gauges for godness sake. They wouldn't be able to get that many songs up to their usual tight level and if they fecked up you can be the same people would be all over them for it...

Not to mention, a lot of bands have much, much simpler songs than muse. Their playing is mostly chord smacking where as Muse are more Legato. The Bass lines in Muse are way harder too- chris doesn't just play root notes. You have to compare like with like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The repetitive setlist's would have nothing to do with the technical aspect, in my opinion it could probably be attributed to to Bellamy's arrogance (he is considered to be, I cannot confirm from personal experience though). In any event, this will be my 4th time seeing them in 12 years so I have been lucky to witness some of the older material live (when it wasn't considered older). I would only be interested in 2 of the new songs live, the Resistance is a poor album for me but everyone to their own. No doubt it will be a great show.

The repetitive setlist's would have nothing to do with the technical aspect, in my opinion it could probably be attributed to to Bellamy's arrogance (he is considered to be, I cannot confirm from personal experience though). .

Sure if you look at video interviews on Youtube you can see he is not arrogant at all, but comes across as a very accomodating individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

aphex™ wrote: »
    Sure if you look at video interviews on Youtube you can see he is not arrogant at all, but comes across as a very accomodating individual.

You may be right dude, genius can often be confused with arrogance anyway and he is indeed a musical genius. Can't remember where (unfortunately) but I think the arrogance label might have been put on him by other musicians, not sure though if I read it or seen it on YouTube etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭budgemook

In case someone isn't following the live gig thread - Muse tickets are back on sale for the O2 gig November 6th. Go to ticketmaster.ie quick :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 bedlam9999

does anyone know whos supporting muse on friday night?

Spoilers for tonights show in France...
    Uprising
    Resistance
    New Born
    Unnatural Selection
    Supermassive Black Hole
    Guiding Light
    Interlude
    Hysteria
    United States of Eurasia
    Cave
    Undisclosed Desires
    Starlight
    Time is Running Out
    Stockholm Syndrome
    --
    Exogenesis - Overture
    Plug in Baby
    Knights of Cydonia

So a couple of days before they play Dublin they go and drop Map of the Problematique from the set?! Fans were rightly giving out about an 18 song set being too short for a band with 5 full albums, and now a week later they've gone and knocked another two off the gig, and one of them happens to be one of their best ever songs.

Their main set at 13 songs was barely an hour long, and with the encores the whole thing was over after 80 minutes.

Not good enough lads. Get it sorted.

bedlam9999 wrote: »
    does anyone know whos supporting muse on friday night?

Nothing official announced so far. Everyone assumed it would be the Big Pink since they're doing the UK gigs but they're in Paris on Friday so nobody knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Rics

That setlist is ****

One song off Showbiz and the song they play is a piano version of a full on rock song.

UGH

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

That setlist is fairly crap.

Man with Harmonica before Knights of Cydonia is going to be a good finish to the gig. It's a pity that Muscle Museum or Citizen Erased aren't getting a run out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement