Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW spare wheel

• 02-06-2009 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, have a bmw 3 series on run flats. No "well" in the boot to put a spare tyre - is there anyway around this???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭Compudaro

Unfortunately not!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The only solution, were you to swap with standard tyres, would be to carry a can of that aerosol stuff to re-inflate your tyres but expect guff from your tyre centre from it. These aerosols won't fix sidewall rips, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

thanks for the feedback lads...seems a bit silly to be honest

will just have to throw a space saver in the boot i guess

Will you be fitting standard tyres? If not then what are you worrying for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Slipshaney wrote: »
    will just have to throw a space saver in the boot i guess
    Are you unhappy with the ride on the run flats? If so, what size are the wheels?

• Advertisement

no not unhappy at all - i will eventually get rid of them though at 175 quid each to replace. Plus I would just feel safer haveing a spare in the boot - call me old fashioned!

What size tyres have you on it at the moment?
    Decent tyres for a BMW aren't cheap anyhow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Hey 'old fashioned', I agree with you 100%. Recently had to get a wheel refurbed and could at least drive away on my spacesaver rather than abandon the car with them. Runflats are the work of the devil!

no not unhally at all - i will eventually get rid of them though at 175 quid each to replace. Plus I would just feel safer haveing a spare in the boot - call me old fashioned!
    The runflats are safer than normal tyres, I replaced a set of Continentals in 16" on a 3 series recently for €150 each. If you're happy with the ride, i'd keep them. You'll never need a spare on run-flats, and i'd be happier driving on a deflated run-flat than a space-saver any day.

Thanks Stevie, I just think that its better to be safe than sorry to be honest.

As for the wheels - they are just standard 16"

• Advertisement

Thanks Stevie, I just think that its better to be safe than sorry to be honest.

As for the wheels - they are just standard 16"
    Like I said before, safe is keeping the run-flats.;) You could always keep a spare of some sort at home for when you need to get a wheel refurbished, but bear in mind that the E90 was not designed to be driven on a space-saver, you'll most likely lose all electronic aids and the handling will be severely compromised. I'd call it dangerous, TBH.:)

Thanks Anan - appreciate the help...and very good point

Leave them as they are...

(bear in mind that the driver there is a former racing driver)

thanks kbannon - good post

think i will get a space saver "just in case" though - I know the e90 is not designed for it - but I would prefer to have a spare

thanks to all for sharing their thoughts

One last thing - anyone recommend any good place for replica/2nd hand 16" alloys (just fairly standard 16s) - thanks!

If you are thinking about swapping rims then be sure to get correct ones (and don't just by a set somewhere). Things such as offset need to be considered as do potential ride quality/handling from them. Some replicas are just plain crap!
    I would suggest getting a decent set of second hand rims from the UK.

ya i reckon you are right - TBH I would love to get a genuine set (you would see them on most 3 series)

These are the set I have: http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/94/38841794.html

These are the set I would like: http://cgi.ebay.ie/BMW-3-Series-E90-Double-Spoke-156-16-Wheels-Tyres_W0QQitemZ200329658672QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_Car_Wheels_ET?hash=item2ea4940130&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A2|294%3A50#ebayphotohosting

Not sure if there would be any conflict if I swapped between these?

The set you have are standard on the ES, the set you want come with the SE. I don't think there'd be any problem with a straight swap, but you'd want to double-check with someone who knows.

granted - thanks very much

i imagine it would be very pricey to order a set from bmw straight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Runflats are pretty unusable here in parts of mayo. (Well the 16" would be ok). Most take them off even before worn and replace with normal tyres and a space saver in the boot.
    Yes they are handy but if you have to pay for a new (very expensive) tyre every time you get a puncture as bmw & most manufacturers recommend not to repair, they really are a non runner.
    Is it so bad to carry a space saver in the boot?

I agree with you Mick, I would be driving on poorish roads too so I reckon when the run flats are worn, I will replace with normal tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Theres absolutely no problem swapping from the 16" ES to the 16" SE wheels.

I agree with you Mick, I would be driving on poorish roads too so I reckon when the run flats are worn, I will replace with normal tyres.
    The 16" are fine on bad roads, not any bigger, though. Run flats will also protect the rim much better than normal tyres if you do hit a big pothole.

thanks for that ned - now all i have to do is find a set at a good price!! any suggestions?

thanks anan too - I will defo use the run flats as long as I can, and then make a decision on whether to keep them after that

Advertisement