Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving UTV

Options
  • 02-06-2009 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi All,

About 2 years ago my folks left UTV. I'm about to do the same and move back to Eircom (long story, don't ask please or I'm liable to start ranting ;)).

The reason I'm posting is because my parents told me about the hassle they encountered when trying to leave. They had to send in a written cancellation letter to UTV or UTV wouldn't let them leave. It took them 2 months to get UTV to shut down everything and then they had to sign up all over again with Eircom (they were without broadband or even a phoneline for a few weeks).

All I want to do is move my broadband from UTV to Eircom. I don't want to get it cancelled as I don't think I could survive without a connect.

Has anyone been through this recently and able to offer me advice on their experiences? Can I just request that Eircom move me? I don't remember having to tell Eircom that I was moving to UTV...

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Richie Blackmor

Early last December (2008) I did something similar. I moved broadband from BT to Eircom. I did not have to inform BT. I just called Eircom, explained what I wanted and they put me through to 'an independent third party'. Here I had to say out loud down the phone line that 'I want to return to Eircom' (weird huh?) and all went smoothly until .........
    I received a two month bill to be paid in advance from BT which was dated for the day AFTER I had transferred to Eircom (service transferred on 8th, bill was for a two monthly period commencing 9th or 10th December - not sure which). This took a lot of telephone calls and a letter of complaint with a threat to involve Comreg to sort out. 'Terms and conditions' were words I heard a lot and I get the impression that I was legally obliged to pay for two months service that I could not use but, after much grumbling, I eventually got fairness.
    Other than that, all went smoothly. The change of service was seamless and a new router arrived from Eircom which I installed easily.
    So, my recommendation? Check your billing period with UTV and try to get the timing better than me. (BT said that if I had changed 24 hours earlier, I would not have been billed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you're outside your minimum contract period with UTV, then it should be a simple enough process. As Richie says, contact eircom and tell them you want to transfer everything over to them. UTV will want the modem back, as it's in their T&Cs, and they also charge a disconnection fee of 30 euro, which you'll probably have to pay.

You'll also have to pay out your notice period with UTV, but you should cancel your direct debit in the bank first, then pay whatever is owed manually with Billpay or something like that. Keep receipts, and records of everything else you do.

Advertisement