Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Carrot Plants

Options
  • 02-06-2009 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

We sowed some carrots in a raised bed (about 2' raised) and have noticed that when the v young plants appear (w 2 small leaves) they disappear within a day or two. Is something eating them from below or above?? or what can I do to keep them safe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Well the carrot fly attacks the carrot root so as they are so young its probably plain old slugs doing the damage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 The Lolo

I had the same problem - it's those pesky slugs!! Tried everything eco to stop them and in the end had to resort to slug pellets and it's worked a treat, just make sure if you buy the pellets it's safe to put around food crops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Yeah, I planted carrots and brocalli and I never saw much happen to them, but did notice that the birds were loving wandering around where I planted them. I guess they must have eaten and enjoyed the seedlings :/ At least I enjoyed seeing the birds hop about. If I ever try growing them again it'll be behind glass!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

I noticed that goldfinches ate all my young carrot plants. I sowed more and covered them with fleece as protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

the same happened to me and I tried covering them with fleece (and tucking the sides in to keep out any slugs)
    As that was unsuccessful (I lost them all) I never really worked out what it was but this year I am actually covering each carrot with a jamjar to start them off.Later I intend to cover them with fleece when then have made a little growth.

My theories were it was either carrot fly already in the soil (attack the root when so young and I suppose the leaves will also go-but I would be surprised for them all to be taken)
    Or else small slugs present in the soil before I put down the fleece (I thought there were none but perhaps they were some way beneath the surface)

• Advertisement
Advertisement