Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sims 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Hiya Karsini,

I downloaded a programme from the sims 3 website 'can you run it' and it said that the cpu is not fast enough to run the game, though I may be able to exchange the laptop for one with an NVidia games chip so might give that a go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

I think I spent around 10 hours playing it today...seriously addictive. I could have gone on for longer but everyone in he house was complaining about my unsociable, unhealthy habits.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I could have gone on for longer but everyone in he house was complaining about my unsociable, unhealthy habits.

So you left your Sims to wallow in faeces!? :eek: Get back to it. Quickly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Has anyone else had problems getting a laptop/pc with high enough spec to play it?
    I'm raging, I only just bought a laptop & it has all the correct spec except the cpu (its only 2ghz).
    The cheapest laptops I can find with 2.4+ ghz is about a grand.
    Wouldnt mind but I bought the game on Friday, so annoying having it to hand but not being able to play it!!:mad:

You would be better off with Sims life stories, they are made for laptops in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

This is easily the best Sims game for me. I used to get bored with my Sims in The Sims 2 as they were all very similar - you just kind of had to pretend they were different. Like if you wanted a Sim to be a right prick you just wouldn't give him any nice points and then always choose the mean interactions. What I love about Sims 3 is the fact that they actually have so much more personality. I have a Sim now who's evil and actually gets wishes for really weird stuff, and he can have an 'evil slumber', whereas my sporty sim likes to take an 'extreme nap'. Heh. With the personality traits you don't have to pretend your Sims are evil or crazy, you can actually set them up to act that way.

I can see myself playing this for some time to come, whereas with The Sims 2 I got bored after Open For Business came out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah, I created a Satan sim and it's hilarious being evil.

Also, some of the slapstick moments from the others just seem so much funnier in this one. Like I had my Satan try and repair a broken tv. He electrocuted himself and his clothes burnt off and his hair was all frizzy. The tv went on fire, so I had to put that out. I then tried to fix the tv again and electrocuted myself again, this time actually dying because of it. So along comes Death to take me away, and while he's doing that, a fire woman comes along (being automatically called when there's a fire) and because she doesn't see any fire, fines me while my corpse is still twitching in front of her. I love this game!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mandandpeter

Ok I had it pre ordered in xtravision for the collectors edition up here in letterkenny but have not recieved a call off them yet, I will call them leter, Does anyone know how much the collectors edition is over here?

Ok I had it pre ordered in xtravision for the collectors edition up here in letterkenny but have not recieved a call off them yet, I will call them leter, Does anyone know how much the collectors edition is over here?
    I got it in Xtravision Donaghmede for €45 yesterday. The little plumbob USB key is so cool. It also comes with some Sims 3 stickers :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

What are the Sims like for independant thought in this one? Would it actually be possible to leave them to their own devices and will their personality traits take over?

Also, is there as much micro-management. i.e. The constant cycle of food, toilet, wash hands, call someone on the phone (because for some reason you don't talk to anyone at work! Go on boards.sim ffs! :D).

Finally, I know ye said that other people go about their business but will they try to complete their own personal goals? Or could someone you create die without doing anything they wanted because you didn't play with them too much (and again, is there independant thought - e.g. you create a flirty sim...could you see them on dates with different people at different times?).

Or am I getting ahead of myself? (c) Ideas copywritten for Sims 4 or Sims 3 related expansion packs! :)

🤪

When you start a game you can set how independent they get. You cna pretty much leave them be and see what happens. I haven't really done this, so I'm not sure if they just do the minimum needed to survive, or if they try and get to the top of their careers etc. That's something I'll have to look into.

The micromanagement is there, but it's not as annoying as the last games. And as you achieve life goals, you get points to buy special abilities, like the ability to not use the toilet or to not have to clean yourself etc, so you get more time to focus on what you want you sim to be doing.

And again I haven't set Sims off on their own, so I'm not sure how they do. I've seen other sims flirting with each other, but I don't know if they create relationships or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

I'm loving this game and all the new features. Also happy that the sims don't have to befriend tons of other sims just to progress in their career - you just mainly meet/talk to whoever you need to during work :pac:

Really like the work/skill challenges also.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭mhairesa

I downloaded a programme from the sims 3 website 'can you run it' and it said that the cpu is not fast enough to run the game

Hi Caprilicious,
    Could you please put a link up for this as I have looked on the website and cant seem to find it! :(

Thanks in advance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I wasn't going to bother with this, because I got bored with the Sims 2 very quickly and it didn't seem like much of an upgrade. But of course all the hype got to me and when I saw the weather this weekend I figured I wouldn't be leaving the house anyway :p

It's pretty fun! I like the fact that the Sims independence has been improved massively, it's pretty entertaining to watch my Evil/Insane sim tormenting other people and cackling to himself, and being happy when other Sims around him are upset. I made a Charistmatic female sim in the hope of experimenting with making babies- the first thing she did was hit on a girl that wasn't interested in being her girlfriend and fall in love with her >.< It actually feels like they have personalities now, the Sims 2 lacked this which is why I got bored so quickly, and if you leave them to their own they can actually take care of themselves well enough, they don't end up going mad surrounded by pee puddles.

Not impressed with the slowness of time passing- apparently this is because of all the stuff that's going on in the neighbourhood at the same time.

My computer's fairly rubbish though and while it runs it okay, I'd like it to be faster and have nicer graphics so I can really tinker with the editing and customisation features. Definitely going to pick up some RAM and maybe a new graphics card at some stage.

Bit disappointed with the lack of objects, but for all I can remember the Sims 2 was probably the same when it was barebones without expansion packs... kinda get the impression Maxis are hoping that people will start buying items from their store :/

GothPunk wrote: »
    I got it in Xtravision Donaghmede for €45 yesterday. The little plumbob USB key is so cool. It also comes with some Sims 3 stickers :cool:

I thought it was suppost to come with the prima guide too!

P.S. I called xtravision (letterkenny) and confirmed they have one for me and to check the price and it is 45EURO (sorry i have no euro sign on my keyboard)

mhairesa wrote: »
    Hi Caprilicious,
    Could you please put a link up for this as I have looked on the website and cant seem to find it! :(

Thanks in advance :D

I use it too check your pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 mediafreak

not much into The Sims but the latest game is all the rave with some of my friends. EA must have done their homework on this one.

It comes with a little mini Prima guide, nothing to write home about really but a good introduction to how Sims games work for those new to the games.
    mediafreak wrote: »
    not much into The Sims but the latest game is all the rave with some of my friends. EA must have done their homework on this one.
    I really think they have put out a fairly polished game, although it does have some of the glithes that The Sims 2 had. Most importantly the game is a lot of fun. If possible I think The Sims 3 could have an even wider appeal than the first two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭mhairesa

I use it too check your pm

Thanks a million!

I can run it :)

Off to the shops.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mick_Grif

Will the Sims run on my 2.00Ghz Laptop? My laptop meets all the other requirements, its just the CPU speed its slow on. the sims 3 needs 2.4GHz, will it run on a 2.00GHz?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Mick_Grif wrote: »
    Will the Sims run on my 2.00Ghz Laptop? My laptop meets all the other requirements, its just the CPU speed its slow on. the sims 3 needs 2.4GHz, will it run on a 2.00GHz?

Here's the link to the Sims 'Can you run it' program, run that & it'll tell if it'll work, though my laptop is 2GHz and it said it wouldnt run :(

<http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/bonus/t/analysis2.tmpl?registration_option_id=8077&gt;

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 shell007

the thing that annoyes me most about the sims 3 is that when your building, or just in general playing, you cant bring your mouse to the corner of the screen and move the screen over! I hate that! I liked that you could move across the screen in the sims 2. anyone else not likin this?! havent seen ne1 else sayin it!

shell007 wrote: »
    the thing that annoyes me most about the sims 3 is that when your building, or just in general playing, you cant bring your mouse to the corner of the screen and move the screen over! I hate that! I liked that you could move across the screen in the sims 2. anyone else not likin this?! havent seen ne1 else sayin it!
    You can change that in the options menu, under 'Side-scrolling' or 'Edge-scrolling' or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

This game is so addictive. Big mistake getting it during the leaving cert.
    There aren't many clothing/appearance options though. And I been able to marry any of my sims yet.

Anyone know what the expansions will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Is this out yet because i was up at gamestop the other day and they just had box's out with pre order now stickers on them :confused:

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Is this out yet because i was up at gamestop the other day and they just had box's out with pre order now stickers on them :confused:
    Just ask at the counter. I've seen loads of places that have kept the pre-orde boxes on the shelves and they keep the actual game boxes behind the counter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 shell007

GothPunk wrote: »
    You can change that in the options menu, under 'Side-scrolling' or 'Edge-scrolling' or something like that.
    thanks!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Oh got it today in town , ive never played a sim's game before hmm i hear it's addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭filo87

Mick_Grif wrote: »

Is it a dual core processor?
    It runs on my 3 year old Sony laptop with a 1.66GHz (duo) processor so it probably would. Might slow down when you're on a community lot though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

it is bloody addictive. a lot moreso than sims 2. i havent been this addicted since... sims 1 :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

P.S. I called xtravision (letterkenny) and confirmed they have one for me and to check the price and it is 45EURO (sorry i have no euro sign on my keyboard)

Ctrl + Alt + $ ;)

Advertisement