Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ahhhhhh, some good news for a change! *pinch of salt reqd?

• 02-06-2009 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

80 jobs to be created by Cork car dealership

printer.gif Printimage?url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.breakingnews.ie%2fireland%2f80-jobs-to-be-created-by-cork-car-dealership-413170.html&pId=Js%2bcko7fyno%3d&title=80+jobs+to+be+created+by+Cork+car+dealershipemail.gif Email+add.gif Share+
    02/06/2009 - 07:38:11
    A car dealership in Cork has announced plans to create up to 80 jobs over the next three years after being appointed as the new Volkswagen dealer for the city.

Blackwater Motors plans to invest €5m in a new facility as a result of the appointment.

The new premises is due to be constructed by 2012.

The expansion comes despite a major downturn in the motor industry, but Blackwater Motors says it is taking a long-term view and is positioning itself to take advantage of the eventual economic recovery.

Read more: "80 jobs to be created by Cork car dealership | BreakingNews.ie" - http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/80-jobs-to-be-created-by-cork-car-dealership-413170.html#ixzz0HGVeUK3I&A

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Anyone know where they are building? They are in the old Top Car site at the moment.

Noticed at the weekend that there was ground works underway on the site next to Noel Deasy's on the Commons Road. I *think* it's Kevin O'Leary's have that place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

EPM wrote: »
    Anyone know where they are building? They are in the old Top Car site at the moment.

No idea of location, but AFAIK, the Top Car site is temporary.
    EPM wrote: »
    Noticed at the weekend that there was ground works underway on the site next to Noel Deasy's on the Commons Road. I *think* it's Kevin O'Leary's have that place

Unfortunately that's theirs alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I used to really like the whole Victoria Cross/Orchard Road area when I was in college, loved looking at the Range Rovers & Jags in Top Car.
    The developers ruined the place then, it was nice to see the whole place cleaned up even if it is only temporary.
    It's nice to have a dealer in the city. If it's good enough fir BMW to have a showrom on Wall St we should be able to have one in the new Academy St shopping centre! I'd magine there will be a shortage of tennants these days so it might be feasible....

Blackwater are hardly going out to Little Island? Seems to be popular with dealers at the minute.

Although what about that vacant Kearys showroom near Kinsale Road Roundabout? Is that a runner? Although if it was then why move to a temporary site. So it is likely to be a greenfield site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I can imagine they will be inundated with applications from many recently unemployed in the motor trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Green shoots as they say, but it'll be a long way off for them to hire anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

There is a school of thought that this is an ideal time to set up in seemingly 'unattractive' businesses. For example take an example of a company that paid through the nose for land, building, equipment and general infastructure. They go belly up because they can't afford the repayments and are in seriousd negative equity. A canny business could come in and buy lock-stock-and-barrel for a fraction of original cost (especially if they have they mool-ah or are one of the few with access to credit. This new business has much lower overheads and can afford to survive where the previous overstreched business could not.

Plus, with many garages going bust there are some very attractive and potentially (some time in the future:confused:) profitable marques without franchises in attractive locations.

Advertisement