Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STB (ntl) and VMC

Options
  • 02-06-2009 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi folks,
    I know this has come up again and again but no amount of post digging has provided the solution to my particular problem so far and ill be eternally
    grateful to anyone who can point me in the right direction.
    Im using a avermedia hybrid 007 tv card. The card is mce compatible and can deal with analogue, from what i gather it should work.
    Having learned that the ntl box doesnt put out an s-video signal, i have connected from one of the two scart out's on the box to the card
    via a scart to composite cable connecting the video lead of the composite to the cards s-video in with a composite to svideo adapter. Is this
    all right so far? (i know im not allowing for audio, least of my worries at the moment). Ive made sure the stb is outputting composite, but vmc
    still cannot find any available services when it scans. I can choose my country, it then downloads the tv settings and guide apparently successfully but when it scans for services it comes up with nothing.
    The second area thats totally confusing me, the ir blaster. I understand what its for and how its meant to work but a couple of things; is it supposed to plug into the ir reciever plug on the tv card? if so, the jack on the one supplied with mce remote is too big, as the ir reciever with the card uses a much smaller jack.
    Am i way off on this or is the card just not compatible with the mce remote ir blaster? Also, does the mce tv setup rely on the ir blaster being in place? ive read somewhere that it does but im not entirely convinced..
    Guys, im sure theres some fundamental flaws in my understanding of this kind of set-up.. as i say, any advise anyone can provide would be hugely appreciated,
    (any more evenings spent routing around behind the tv, im pretty sure my girlfriend will kill me)

Casmo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Casmo wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Having learned that the ntl box doesnt put out an s-video signal, i have connected from one of the two scart out's on the box to the card
    via a scart to composite cable connecting the video lead of the composite to the cards s-video in with a composite to svideo adapter. Is this
    all right so far? (i know im not allowing for audio, least of my worries at the moment). Ive made sure the stb is outputting composite, but vmc
    still cannot find any available services when it scans.
    You shouldnt be scanning for analogue as its digital cable you are using. Select Digital Cable first, then that you are using a STB, then input is s-video. Its also possible to use a SCART adaptor and plus in an svideo cable and this is svideo cable will just have the composite signal. Then you can tell VMC to take the composite input and this can lead to a better picture (I might be confusing things a bit, but if the picture is rubbish with svideo its an option)

Analogue is through a coax cable and this scans UHF+VHF.
    Casmo wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    The second area thats totally confusing me, the ir blaster. I understand what its for and how its meant to work but a couple of things; is it supposed to plug into the ir reciever plug on the tv card? if so, the jack on the one supplied with mce remote is too big, as the ir reciever with the card uses a much smaller jack.
    Am i way off on this or is the card just not compatible with the mce remote ir blaster? Also, does the mce tv setup rely on the ir blaster being in place? ive read somewhere that it does but im not entirely convinced..
    Guys, im sure theres some fundamental flaws in my understanding of this kind of set-up.. as i say, any advise anyone can provide would be hugely appreciated,
    (any more evenings spent routing around behind the tv, im pretty sure my girlfriend will kill me)

Casmo

The IR blaster plugs into the IR receiver. I cello taped the blaster to the front of my NTL box. VMC can then change the channels on you STB.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Casmo

Hey, cheers for your response... someone has also since pointed out to me that my tv card is not capable of the hardware encoding required by mc but that avermedia have a software workaround available.. i think this may be the real cause of my problems, thanks for clarifying the cabling situation though, that also had me deeply confused!

Advertisement