Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland keeper madness

• 02-06-2009 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

With Kiely gone, and 'I'm Catholic so I'm Irish' Westwood having better things to do, we're down to fourth and fifth-string keepers. So Trapp has called in Colin Doyle, Birmingham bench-warmer, and Wayne Henderson, whose only games this season, it has been said elsewhere, were for Grimsby.

What does Brian Murphy have to do to get a look-in in this crazy set-up? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Save it. He will never get called up and it is a frigging disgrace.

Grimsby were almost relegated from League 2, and Doyle has played very little competitive football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

SectionF wrote: »
    With Kiely gone, and 'I'm Catholic so I'm Irish' Westwood having better things to do, we're down to fourth and fifth-string keepers. So Trapp has called in Colin Doyle, Birmingham bench-warmer, and Wayne Henderson, whose only games this season, it has been said elsewhere, were for Grimsby.

What does Brian Murphy have to do to get a look-in in this crazy set-up? :confused:

Couldn't agree more here. Brian Murphy is a superb keeper has been fantastic over the past few seasons and deserves to be rewarded with a call up. There's very little for Irish players with ambition to stay in our League. It's very unfair and Murphy, perhaps even more than Fahey last season, deserves to be on the bench for his country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Has the Ireland "manager" even been to an LoI game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Brian should have embarked on the Cross-channel Airplane Of Awesomeness (© Des) when he had the chance. :D

Des wrote: »

A member of my family works in and around the league, so he's fairly clued in and Trap, nor any of his coaching staff, have been to a LoI game this season or last. I know there's a lot of players who wouldn't be within an asses roar of the squad but it's very blind not to look at players that could be useful to a squad, namely Brian Murphy.

I'm by no means a massive LoI fan, haven't been to a game in ages but I still think it's somewhat unfair to treat players like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Not sure if it can be definitively put like that. But he doesn't go, and his staff don't go. So much for the FAI taking charge of the league.

Sunset V wrote: »
    A member of my family works in and around the league, so he's fairly clued in and Trap, nor any of his coaching staff, have been to a LoI game this season or last. I know there's a lot of players who wouldn't be within an asses roar of the squad but it's very blind not to look at players that could be useful to a squad, namely Brian Murphy.

I'm by no means a massive LoI fan, haven't been to a game in ages but I still think it's somewhat unfair to treat players like that.

I haven't been to a PD game in a few years, but surely there are better players than what are trudging around the lower echelons of the English game?

Surely to Christ?

Sunset V wrote: »
    Brian Murphy is a superb keeper has been fantastic over the past few seasons and deserves to be rewarded with a call up.
    Murphy is so good that at this stage when he pulls off a wonder save it is taken for granted and hardly remarked on. If you don't watch LoI, then trust me, this guy is quite brilliant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

How good is this Brian Murphy lad..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Murphy is so good that at this stage when he pulls off a wonder save it is taken for granted and hardly remarked on. If you don't watch LoI, then trust me, this guy is quite brilliant.

Yep agree here......really rate him.......its a disgrace they wont look at the EL :mad:

• Advertisement

What's the EL? :confused:

I haven't been to a PD game in a few years, but surely there are better players than what are trudging around the lower echelons of the English game?

Surely to Christ?

I'm trying my hardest to find an online source for this but John O'Flynn in World Soccer / Football Magazine said at the start of the year that it has been a big step back in the level of football between Barnet and the LoI, so you are right, there are decent lads in the league,

What's the EL? :confused:

Eircom League ;)

MBC wrote: »
    Eircom League ;)

...and that is?

I really wish people would stop giving that shower unnecessary advertisement.

They haven't sponsored the league for a while now.

Dub13, in answer to your question, there was a thread a couple of months ago about Murphy, and by all accounts he's a decent keeper.

Would be worth a bench place given the current outages in the position.

I've never seen him play live though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Dub13 wrote: »

He's almost as good as Barry Murphy. Both Barry Murphy and Brian Murphy would be very good 2nd and 3rd keepers to Given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I assume Joe Murphy from Scunthorpe is in the squad, yes?

...and that is?

Its a league of 8 teams from Eircom's employees......that get together every weds night to play astro.........they call it the EL.......one of the teams has a very good goal keeper......his name is Brian Murphy :rolleyes:

Seen him play live a fair few times, and obviously in televised games and MNS. Best keeper in the LOI. In recent times, if Noel Hunt, Doyle, McCourt and Fahey can easily make the step up, I see no reason why Murphy couldn't.

And that's not pick a local player for the sake it guff.

Fair enough, if you have keepers at the level of Kiely and Given who are guaranteed to be available, but why choose a keeper in a club at the bottom of League Two over the best keeper at the best club in this country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Fooking Henderson, whose only football this year was at Grimsby Town at the bottom of the football league? What a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

If Brian Murphy was picked, wouldn't he miss a few Bohs games and he then be only on the bench and people would give out over that.

• Advertisement

tomred1 wrote: »
    If Brian Murphy was picked, wouldn't he miss a few Bohs games and he then be only on the bench and people would give out over that.

Well, the fact that the FAI, in their eternal wankerism, scheduled League games on the night of the Nigeria game is hardly the LoI fans fault, is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

someone email Liam Brady will yis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Has he ever been to any game that an Irish lad was playing in? Seems content to watch DVDs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

joker77 wrote: »
    Has he ever been to any game that an Irish lad was playing in? Seems content to watch DVDs...

He was at the City of Manchester Stadium last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Xavi6 wrote: »
    He was at the City of Manchester Stadium last season.
    Fair play to him. Any more games he's seen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

tomred1 wrote: »

No, the majority would be delighted for him. Besides you only need 2 players called up to get a game called postponed and Id say some of the young lads getting a chance at Bohs at the moment will get a look in at u21 level if they keep showing form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Think he might have been asked but made himself unavailable this time around. Perhaps holidays or something.

So what are the chances of this Brian Murphy moving to get a fat pay packet then? How old is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Don't know about him but I can only speak for myself when I say I'd sooner chop off my own left testacle than be subjected to a 90min LoI game...no offence meant I'm sure :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

gosplan wrote: »
    Think he might have been asked but made himself unavailable this time around. Perhaps holidays or something.

So what are the chances of this Brian Murphy moving to get a fat pay packet then? How old is he?

Pity. After Given and Kiely, he has to be next in line by some distance.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »

25? Came up through the ranks fighting it out with Henderson for internationals till he got injured, started at Man City and played a bit at Swansea. Has said he wont go back unless hes gtd 1st team football preferably Championship or higher. Hibs and a few others were apparently interested a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

surely is this lad was any good, he'd be playing in England?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Are we going to hear this every single time an Irish player shows some promise?

Keith Fahey was apparently ****e until he magically became a good player by playing for Birmingham.

I <3 U

:D

The question isn't whether he is good enough to pass muster with EPL fans, rather is he a better bet than the goalkeeping options that Trapp is currently considering, and the answer is Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

brian murphy is an excellent keeper easily the best keeper to come out of the eircom league:p and is definately good enough to be playing at least championship football in engerland imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,004 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What about Paddy Kenny? Has he retired or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

eagle eye wrote: »
    What about Paddy Kenny? Has he retired or something?

If i recall correctly he wanted to return last year but was just overlooked. The Cyprus debacle may have something to do with that

dogpile wrote: »
    Don't know about him but I can only speak for myself when I say I'd sooner chop off my own left testacle than be subjected to a 90min LoI game...no offence meant I'm sure :rolleyes:

Wow, wasnt going to bite but seems you're a Leeds fan. Makes that statement fairly hilarious.

bohsman wrote: »
    Wow, wasnt going to bite but seems you're a Leeds fan. Makes that statement fairly hilarious.
    Wasn't going to bite either :P, but as a Leeds fan, I'm happy to credit that with a thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

He "seen" pats vs linfield and compared it to italian 2nd division.

As a pats fans i hope he gets called up this weekend, superb player.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Westwood is our second best keeper now that Deano has decided to go again, can't balme him either.

I'd have Doyle in the squad ahead of Either LoI Murphy too but I'd have either LoI murphy ahead of Henderson tbh.

No point in calling Brian or Barry up because they'd just end up being 3rd choice behind doyle and not even in the match day squad and then you lot would just piss and moan about them missing league games for no reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Seaneh wrote: »
    Westwood is our second best keeper now that Deano has decided to go again, can't balme him either.

Wonder if this is what the Trap has been planning for a while, last weeks episode could have been contrived to get rid of Kielly! he couldn't not pick him for the squad after going to the trouble to get him to come out of retirement.....he's had a chance the assess his squad and thought "a 40 year old as undertsudy, what's the long term benefit"....he's been very blasse shrug shoulder about the whole episode in the media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

The biggest disgrace of this whole fiasco(that I don't think has been mentioned yet?) is why was Westwood in this squad at all:confused:

The Nigeria game was a warm up for Bulgaria - a game that the management knew Westwood wasn't available for.
    I firmly believe Westwood was played in this game to make sure he can't play for England...it makes no other sense.

To make make it worse, Given has a slight knock, yet Trapattoni still plays an unavailable keeper ahead of Kiely - no wonder Kiely walked out!

I'd have Doyle in the squad ahead of Either LoI Murphy too but I'd have either LoI murphy ahead of Henderson tbh.
    I don't see why Barry Murphy is in the frame here, other than by virtue of his having the same surname and same initials as Brian Murphy (quite a challenge for most of our press, it seems). The former happens to be a very, very good keeper, but Bohs' Murph is in a different class and quite simply can be breathtaking to watch*. I just think it will be tragic if kneejerk LoI-is-rubbish thinking keeps him out of the international squad.

*Disclaimer: he's not perfect, and needs to work on his kick-out! ;)

The Rovers Murphy is so good hes been dropped and the good old always ultras would like to see him sold and replaced with a right winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Be better than the keepers selected. Henderson has played in a qualifiers for Ireland before and done well. Due to Doyle not getting game much game time this season it's arguable that he could have been picked ahead of him. Joe Murphy is definitely a better keeper than him too. Paddy Kenny as well but I think he may have retired from international football.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Surprisingly not.

bohsman wrote: »
    The Rovers Murphy is so good hes been dropped and the good old always ultras would like to see him sold and replaced with a right winger.

I think the (valid) reasoning there is that, in the absence of gargantuan overdraft or a ground to sell twice, Rovers will probably have to sell to buy in July, or at least to free up wages, and the signs look like MON might have Baz earmarked for that. Personally I feel Barry is taking all the flak for defender's honest mistake on Saturday, and shouldn't be dropped in favour of Duggan.

I rate Baz, even if he's not having a great season by his own standards, but he's not as good as Brian Murphy who, recent form withstanding, is still the best keeper in the country by a long shot.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    He "seen" pats vs linfield and compared it to italian 2nd division.

As in Serie B?

Really?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

As in Serie B?

Really?

I'd be superised too, Serie B would be much better than LoI!

I'd be superised too, Serie B would be much better than LoI!
    A regular at Serie B matches are you?

• Advertisement
Advertisement