Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Should focus on job creation"

• 02-06-2009 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭

Do you ever hear these soundbites that the opposition and indeed the gov themselves are saying? "We need to focus on job creation" etc.

Surely thats a no brainer now and always. When and why would you NOT focus on it? Ever? What is the disadvantage of doing it at all times?

Can someone please explain. Im quite sick of what i see as truisms from those paid too much to state the obvious

Surely creating new jobs is ALWAYS useful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

The problem with opposition parties in ANY government is that they only talk about whatever is the flavour of the month without giving any answers.

Saying we need tof ocus on job creation is the easiest and laziest thing any body can say at the moment and thats the only way the politicians operate im afraid.

Has anyone heard any concrete suggestions from a politician on how to get out of recession??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

has anyone ever even heard concrete suggestions from a politician on how to 'focus on job creation'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Duh, they're politicians, it's ontological that they haven't a bog beyond buzzwords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

has anyone ever even heard concrete suggestions from a politician on how to 'focus on job creation'?

Yes. Fine Gael have some stuff here, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Yes. Fine Gael have some stuff here, for example.

Some good points there (e.g incentives for employers to hire new staff) and i would be behind them on this. But id like to see them used as a checklist. As in, they MUST implement these within first 2 years in governmment. Or get kicked out on their arses. Accountability is paramount

Am i the only one who feels that these policies would be watered down through being in a coalitoion with the rest of the ABFFs (Anyone but Fianna Fail). And TBH, theyd be a grand party to vote for were it not for their devoid of personality leader. The fact that he used to be a schoolteacher also does not bode well for my opinion as to whether he reflects the views of the man on the street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Some good points there
    I agree there are some good ideas there, but it's perhaps not as good as it first appears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Yeah, generally it involves focussing on other aspects of the fiscal problem and letting the labour market take care of itself, but this doesn't appease those demanding "clear and decisive action" and such nonsense. Politicians can no more change the tides as stop job losses in a recession. The recession will play itself out and whatever policies that happen to be running at the time of the recovery will be lauded as the reason for that recovery regardless of whether there was any actual causality involved.

See for instance the myriad of supposed causes of the Celtic Tiger boom claimed by different groups depending on which ones they themselves were involved with/benefited most from.

Advertisement