Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essay Lengths for English paper one...

Options
  • 02-06-2009 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so what are the rough answer lengths for each part of English paper one (if your aiming for A1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

Judging that it's all a good quality essay, about 3 pages on 10ish words per line.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Oh sorry I meant for each section.

Like section A I normally go 2/3rds for the 15 markers, then a page for the 20.

B I'll smash down close to 3 pages.

And the big essay maybe around 4-5.

Is that enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I regularly hit 6 but my writing is very big. Its quality not quantity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

errlloyd wrote: »
    (if your aiming for A1)

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

errlloyd wrote: »
    B I'll smash down close to 3 pages.

:eek:

• Advertisement

A single page is enough for a B part, in my opinion. It's functional writing, so keep it terse and to the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Can't it be a diary entry, or a speech or something non functional?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

My A parts are usually 2 or 2+1/2 pages, just because it's split into 2/3 questions.
    My B part is usually 2ish as well, depending if it's a diary or whatever.
    For my Composition 1 page for rough plan, and then at least 3 1/2 to 5 pages. That is usually with fitting 8-10 words per line, so small writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,253 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

the incompetent examiner for my mocks slated basically my whole class for doing less than 2 pages for the question B. I was annoyed as I thought my newspaper article was great at 1.5 pages. The examiners will have a marking scheme for this but it is something to think about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭-ME-

Tomorrow, i'm going to aim for:

one page for each of the 15 mark Qs
    one and a half pages for the 20 mark Q
    two pages for the Q B
    four- five pages for the essay

I write quite slowly though so it probably won't work out like that at all. I hope I don't get some annoying teacher obsessed with quantity correcting my paper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭haloauto

Try and make it 1000 words. For me that's about 3.5 pages.
    For the 15 marker I write 3/4 of a page, 20 marker 1 page and B part 1 1/2 - 2 pages.
    So about 8 pages (sides) overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

well for section A ill do half to two thirds a page for each question
    then for part B of section A ill do 1-1 and half pages possibly more.
    And essay between 4 and 6 pages really i mean its 25% of your marks 3 pages is hardly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

haloauto wrote: »
    Try and make it 1000 words. For me that's about 3.5 pages.
    For the 15 marker I write 3/4 of a page, 20 marker 1 page and B part 1 1/2 - 2 pages.
    So about 8 pages (sides) overall.

Exactly the same for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

My QA usually ends up being about 3 pages. My QB would be 2 1/2-3. My essay would be 4-5. I'm looking for an A in Paper 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

My QA usually ends up being about 3 pages. My QB would be 2 1/2-3. My essay would be 4-5. I'm looking for an A in Paper 1.

Kinda similar to mine. But I'd only get two pages out of QA. I'd love an A.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Is there less room to write on the answer booklets than on a normal a4 page? There's a margin for correctors isn't there but does it make any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

Liam O wrote: »
    the incompetent examiner for my mocks slated basically my whole class for doing less than 2 pages for the question B. I was annoyed as I thought my newspaper article was great at 1.5 pages. The examiners will have a marking scheme for this but it is something to think about

We must have had the same examiner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Liam O wrote: »
    That's bollocks.

Quality > Quantity. Always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Mockatron

Guys the exam starts at 9:30am right? well if you want to be home by 10am do what i did last year on both papers? About 10 lines should do per answer. Trust me. They like people who have the balls to do things like that. I did my LC last year and gotta a B3 in Hons so i know what im talkin bout

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Mockatron wrote: »
    Guys the exam starts at 9:30am right? well if you want to be home by 10am do what i did last year on both papers? About 10 lines should do per answer. Trust me. They like people who have the balls to do things like that. I did my LC last year and gotta a B3 in Hons so i know what im talkin bout

Thankfully this idiotic comment was put up late enough that it wouldn't burnt he eyes out of students with its stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Crystler

Mockatron wrote: »

Clearly, untrue. There is a reason why English teachers ask you to write a certain LENGTH. Regardless of what people say about Quantity over Quality. You have to expand, explain and state (not in that order). So that's why a (minimum length is asked for), you won't get penalised if you get those 3 things in.

Don't play with LC students, if you have done the LC shut your gob with that kinda nonsense, as everyone is already stressed enough. Well... myself not included as English I'm only looking for a high C/low B. Good luck for all of you doing the English paper 1 hope you all do great! I'll be rooting for you all while I'm furiously scribbling down on my exam paper! ^_^

nkay1985 <--- thumbs up, Mockatron is just preying on the stressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Rule my teacher went by. Look at the marks, divide it by 2 and add on 3. That's how many sentences you should write.

So for 20 marker, you're writing 13~ sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

A-I page each for i and ii,and for iii I did a page and a half,for B I did two pages and a half and for the composing I did three pages and a bit.
    I think it was a good amount.My hand was cramping so bad at tecause due to the time I took out to write ideas and plan,I had to write like the wind to finish on time.
    Hopefully my writing isnt really as messy as it seemed to be... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MrSnuffleupagus

Wrote about two pages for section A, page and a half for section B, 3 and a bit pages for the composing... That ok? The time went faster than I expected...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I did like 7 or 8 I THINK

Not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

I was short on time and I wrote 2 1/2 pages in the part III :(. I'm as nervous as hell, because my essay was so crappy :mad:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

I'm not going for A1 or anything, but this is what I did,
    3 1/2 for A
    2 1/2 for B
    4 1/2 for Composing,
    Though my writing is fairly big though it was good quality which I suppose is what counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I did about 3 pages for the Comprehension, 2 for the part B, and 4 for the essay. So 9 pages in all, nothing sensational.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Mockatron

In all seriousness guys GOOD LUCK IN YOUR EXAMS. They'll be over before you know it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement