Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT date given - but it's not til October!

• 02-06-2009 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Just looking for a quick answer here, as I'm sure many of ye have experienced the same

The NCT on the car expires pretty soon, and we've been sent a date to be tested again, but it's not til October!

So what's the legal situation with this? Can I not drive the car until October? Or is it okay seeing as I've got an appointment to get it done? Do the Gardaí turn a blind eye in these circumstances? I could leave the appointment letter in the car in case stopped

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The Mother didn't get hers until the end of August, and the woman on the phone told her all she had to do was carry the booking letter with her and she was fine.

In all fairness, this is the only sensible way about it, there's nothing more you can do than book it in and wait for the date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm the same boat don't have one until the 28th of September, Girl in the NCT said just carry the letter...
    tbh, can't wait to fail it, should get me away without an NCT till 2010...that will be 4 years with no NCT over a tiny % of an emissions failure....
    tbh, the whole thing has sweet fa got to do with road saftey...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

You could also try another test centre,but like posters above just carry the letter with you as they back date the nct to the date it should of been done.

I drove a car for 1 and 3/4 years with out one and when i finally did get it down i onmly had it for 2 months before i had to rebook it:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

tbh, the whole thing has sweet fa got to do with road saftey...

and we're off......

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Ring them, there's cancellations all the time that are not reflected on the website. I rang about 2 weeks ago and did my test on Friday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Dave! wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Just looking for a quick answer here, as I'm sure many of ye have experienced the same

The NCT on the car expires pretty soon, and we've been sent a date to be tested again, but it's not til October!

So what's the legal situation with this? Can I not drive the car until October? Or is it okay seeing as I've got an appointment to get it done? Do the Gardaí turn a blind eye in these circumstances? I could leave the appointment letter in the car in case stopped

Cheers

Legally you can't drive a car without a valid NCT, once it's due an NCT. Since the recent clampdown the wait time has gone mad and lots of people are risking it. Most Gardai appear to be turning a blind eye to it, but all it takes is one for you to be done. If you are going to be driving make sure that everything is legal then you have a chance of being let off if you meet a jobsworth.

As the others have said keep ringing for a cancellation and not just at your nearest centre.
    The Mother didn't get hers until the end of August, and the woman on the phone told her all she had to do was carry the booking letter with her and she was fine.
    Some woman working in a call centre for a private company doesn't set Garda policy. She's committing an offence and can be done for driving without an NCT letter or no letter.
    In all fairness, this is the only sensible way about it, there's nothing more you can do than book it in and wait for the date.

Bus, taxi, lift or walk all things you can do while waiting for a test. Going out and breaking the law doesn't have to be one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 prentice

Del2005 wrote: »
    Legally you can't drive a car without a valid NCT, once it's due an NCT. Since the recent clampdown the wait time has gone mad and lots of people are risking it. Most Gardai appear to be turning a blind eye to it, but all it takes is one for you to be done. If you are going to be driving make sure that everything is legal then you have a chance of being let off if you meet a jobsworth.

As the others have said keep ringing for a cancellation and not just at your nearest centre.

Some woman working in a call centre for a private company doesn't set Garda policy. She's committing an offence and can be done for driving without an NCT letter or no letter.

Bus, taxi, lift or walk all things you can do while waiting for a test. Going out and breaking the law doesn't have to be one.

That is condescending nonsense (and yes i do have a fully NCTed car.

The Gards were on the radio ages ago. This is there stated policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Are you serious?

"Bus, taxi, lift or walk all things you can do while waiting for a test."

These are not options for everybody.

If the state cannot provide a NCT test in a reasonable time then surely they cannot enforce such laws.

The NCT should be available at local dealers/garages and cert updated after your yearly service.

Much easier system and would mean more complience.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hijacking the thread a little here! The mini hasnt been NCT'd since 2004, but I only purchased it. Will it just apply from 2 years from when I get it NCT'd?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Twin-go wrote: »

The NCT should be available at local dealers/garages and cert updated after your yearly service.

I take it you've not had any experience of the rip off over there as regards MOTs so. The case where you bring a car to a garage to have it MOT'd and the guy says 'It'll pass if I do this job to it, will cost about £xxx to do...' Been there and been had I'm afraid, the problem being the legit operations will get tarnished as well as the cowboys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

there are people (like myself) living miles from the nearest shop, P.O. , doctor, school, church etc., with no bus, or other public service facilities.

BTW. my NCT expires on the 20th Aug. next & my car is booked in for the 4th September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Right...so people who's nct run out lets say next month, think to themselves well I'll book it now...but can't get a date until October, shouldn't drive until its passed, what a load of crap.
    snowman707 wrote: »
    BTW. my NCT expires on the 20th Aug. next & my car is booked in for the 4th September.
    I hope your proud...breaking the law!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

snowman707 wrote: »
    Grahamo999 wrote: »
    I hope your proud...breaking the law!
    How is he breaking the law? His car is currently covered and he has a test booked.

Bloody high horse brigade... :rolleyes: Maybe read the posts before slating people.

EDIT: It's typical of this country though.. first it was the provisional licenses, now it's the NCT. Can't we do ANYTHING right???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Stekelly wrote: »
    and we're off......

Release the high horses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    How is he breaking the law? His car is currently covered and he has a test booked.

Bloody high horse brigade... :rolleyes: Maybe read the posts before slating people.

EDIT: It's typical of this country though.. first it was the provisional licenses, now it's the NCT. Can't we do ANYTHING right???
    I was joking, the first part of my post was me saying the other poster was talking crap, I added the second bit in afterwards and wasn't able to add in a :D in an edit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Come'on lads its hard to get off that high horse
    high_horse.jpg

In all honesty i cant see any gardai doing some one who is just driving a road leagal car without a NCT due to waiting times.

But if your in a wreck pissin out smoke, bald tyres and no windscreen you will be done.

I put the question about NCT to a road core member while i was in work ( One of his comrades wrote off a company car) .His opinion of it was if your any way honest and not taking the piss you will be ok

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just to point out the necessity of having an NCT has not changed,
    the only difference is that the penalty is now greater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    I was joking, the first part of my post was me saying the other poster was talking crap, I added the second bit in afterwards and wasn't able to add in a :D in an edit

Whoops.. my bad! :o

Advertisement