Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

comparative - can we highlight where we make our comparisons?

Options
  • 02-06-2009 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

to make it easier for the examiner, or would they find it patronising?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It's something I definitely wouldn't be doing. If they're in there then the examiner will find them, they're not stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

It's a while since I did it, but I definitely wouldn't highlight - we were told to just use lots of phrases like
    "Similarly, in x text ..."
    "This is in contrast to x text, where ..."
    "In both x and y, ..."
    etc etc

Just kind of link them to each other in a natural way if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

aoibhebree wrote: »
    It's a while since I did it, but I definitely wouldn't highlight - we were told to just use lots of phrases like
    "Similarly, in x text ..."
    "This is in contrast to x text, where ..."
    "In both x and y, ..."
    etc etc

Just kind of link them to each other in a natural way if you can.

ya i wouldnt do it as they might get the feeling that you didnt think that it was obvious enough or something like that

best to follow the way thats posted above after all the correcters are english teacher too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭lorna100

thanks - was just wondering from the other thread, someone said to highlight quotes etc so was wondering if it applied to comparative as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

For what it's worth, dont highlight quotes. Dont seperate them from the main body of text either, the examiner is supposed to be able to read your work as an essay, not a bullet-point-plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

dont highlight the comparisons just write them down.the examiner has to read it anyway so you'd jus be wasting time highlighting

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

When the examiner reads your essay they're supposed to highlight comparisons with a little "C" beside them as they see them, so don't worry, at the end of the essay they can flick back over it and see how many comparisons you make.

Advertisement