Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodger needs lease agreement to open bank account?

Options
  • 02-06-2009 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

I am renting out a room in my house under the rent-a room scheme. Anyway a new guy has just moved in. He's european and has just moved to Ireland. He needs to get a PPS number, open a bank account etc in Ireland as you would expect. The bank have told him he needs a signed lease agreement as proof of address to open an account. I presume the revenue will require something similar to give him a pps number.

I have no specific lease agreement with him as it isn't necessary under the rent a room scheme and we just have a verbal agreement that he will give me a months notice when he wants to move out. Is it sufficient that I write letter detailing when he moved in, the address, the rent he pays, my name and state that I am an owner occupier? Will this satisfy the bank? Does anyone have any experience of this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 JackieT

I moved to ireland about 6 years ago, I was also just renting a room initially, didnt have a contract.

I got my landlady to do up a letter along the lines of what you outlined above. Didn't have any problems getting a PPS nr or bank account sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

JackieT wrote: »
    I moved to ireland about 6 years ago, I was also just renting a room initially, didnt have a contract.

I got my landlady to do up a letter along the lines of what you outlined above. Didn't have any problems getting a PPS nr or bank account sorted.

Thanks for the reply JackieT.

Thats grand so. Just wanted to be sure of what was required so he wouldn't have to be too-ing and froo-ing back and forth from the bank. My only worry would be that banks might have got more picky about these things in the past 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

It would have to be a detailed letter, its a proof of tenancy they are looking for. You can't even open a utility account without one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

When we moved to Ireland, all the bank needed was proof of address eg utility bills.

And our passport.

We were renting too.
    Never a letter .

She Devil wrote: »
    It would have to be a detailed letter, its a proof of tenancy they are looking for. You can't even open a utility account without one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

sorella wrote: »
    When we moved to Ireland, all the bank needed was proof of address eg utility bills.

And our passport.

We were renting too.
    Never a letter .

He won't have utility bills renting a room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

A letter along the lines that "I confirm that [full name] is currently renting a room under the rent a room scheme, at the above address, as of [insert date]" should be fine.

I did that for a former lodger I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

A letter along the lines that "I confirm that [full name] is currently renting a room under the rent a room scheme, at the above address, as of [insert date]" should be fine.

I did that for a former lodger I had.

I gave him something along these lines this morning and a recent utility bill with my name on it as proof that I live there. Hopefully that'll do them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ThatsNotMyName*

I work in the bank and we cant accept a letter someone writes claiming to be a landlord etc, stating someones address. Sure anyone joe soap can write one. If he rings the tax office and asks for some sort of correspondance from them we can accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

If he rings the tax office and asks for some sort of correspondance from them we can accept that.

But you don't need to register with Revenue in order to rent a room under the rent-a-room scheme so Revenue haven't a notion who would be a landlord and who wouldn't so what's the point getting a letter from them?

What has society become when our least trusted institution - banks - are our moral watchdogs!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ThatsNotMyName*

You just need to ring the revenue up and ask for a pps number. When they send him the letter we use that as postal correspondance.
    Never mind anything about renting rooms or any of that, the bank doesnt care who has a landlord or who doesnt, they want satisfactory postal verication to open up an account!

Ah blah blah bank stuff, people in branches and at the bottom arent the cause of anything. Thats such a boring comment.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement