Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to fix structural issues (how long is a piece of thread)?

Options
  • 02-06-2009 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi there,
    I am going to view a house which the estate agents says needs structural work. I'm assuming that if they are telling me this, it needs a good bit of work.

THe house was built around 1950s (I'm guessing) and before I go to view it, I'm wondering if anyone can give a ball park figure on fixing structural issues in an older house, based on their experiences. I don't think the house would have any preservation orders in place as it's fairly bog standard.

I know it depends on what needs to be done, but say it's needs concrete underneath or something similiar, what kind of bill would be coming in the door?

Am trying to work out if I could get a mortgage for the place, as if it could stretch to 100K, I'll be backing away quickly...

Thanks!
    Lena

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

You need a full survey done and the surveyor will be able to give you advise. There are too many variables for somebody to give you any idea here.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

It's likely that if the agent told you this, someone has already had a structural survey carried out and the agent should tell you what that threw up.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Anything from thousands to hundreds of thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 LenaLena

Hey,
    thanks for the replies, decided to cancel the viewing and stick to something that can be fixed with No More Nails and paint :)

L

Advertisement