Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting Dail Eireann- is it open to the public

Options
  • 02-06-2009 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

hi,
    not sure if i have the right forum so apologies if this is the wrong audience.
    if i wish to visit dáil éireann, is it open to the public at specific times or how can i arrange a visit\tour?
    any info appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

You can't just wander in. You might see them all quaffing taxpayer-subsidised drinks in the Dail bar!

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/FAQ/document2.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

It's definitely NOT a travel review anyway. Don't you read the charters?

Moved to Politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

They are actually having an open day there today and tomorrow

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=12040&&CatID=152

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I was on a tour there once. Tour group and all.

You'd definetely need to give them notice etc. but tours do happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

I believe you may have to contact your local TD to arrange a visit. That sounds a bit over kill so I wouldn't take my word for definite, but that's what I heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Rineanna wrote: »
    I believe you may have to contact your local TD to arrange a visit. That sounds a bit over kill so I wouldn't take my word for definite, but that's what I heard.

There's an item on Radio 1 right now about this. They say that the normal channel is through your local TD. The item is about family days in the Dáil which were organised last week. You've missed the boat on this one, but you could still contact your TD.

Wasnt John O'Donohue in charge of this, opening the Dáil to tours I mean. He started it shortly after he took over as Ceann Comhairle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hah I remember in school we had a tour arranged (by the religion teachers, of all things...), and after it we were all brought to the bar and Charlie O'Connor bought us all bottles of coke :D

Then he started awkwardly asking the class questions

"So who here would like to be a politician when they're older?"
    *deafening silence*

Criiiinge :D

@mx_185@my_205

Would like to go back again with more mature eyes...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Tours are normally in groups of between 10-20. I've done it twice or 3 times at this stage and it's a very interesting tour. The house has a very interesting history.

Call your local TDs office. His/her secretary will organise it for your group to be signed in.

Advertisement