Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Accommodation Thread (all accommodation available & Q's in here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Doop wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I thought that may be the case alright. I'll be going back as a mature student (26) (if i get a givin a place) so would kind of perfer the idea of living in a house with people of different ages. I kinda imagine the student village (and I could be wrong) as loads of 18 year olds running around!. .. not that theres anything wrong with that but might feel a bit out of it being a bit older :( !

hi doop,
    i was 25 moving into college heights there last year.
    id never been to dundalk so all was new to me. the taxi guy that took me into college heights said to me "word of warning, this place is known as the zone to taxi drivers"
    i asked in what sense and he replied "war zone"
    nice i thought to myself.
    seen the place, met the landlady and expained how id prefer to live with older students or mature students so she got in all mature students. we kept the place clean, didnt have mad crazy house parties, just a few cans with mates or headed into town a night or two a week.
    im in year 2 now and when i came back in september the landlady offered to reduce the rent 25 quid each to keep us in the house as she was delighted with how we kept it and she never had any trouble with us.
    college heights is starting to look like a real kip, as in there is litter everywhere, and iv heard of a few houses getting robbed which isnt good, and you do hear the odd house party taking place, but other than that its a grand place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Always make sure if your in College Heights/Manor that you dont leave nice tv's or such on view, always turn the alarm on and make sure the house is locked up well.

There's housing for members of the traveling community up the road and while generally there grand, some bad apples do appear from time to time.

When we refused them entry to our house one night one of them told us that we'd be buried under the house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Ta for the info folks, I do enjoy a few beers myself... not an old man... yet! but yea guess I wouldnt be going to mad as I imagine some young folk might do their first time living away from home an all that!

Reckon id prefer somewhere like ye mentioned college heights/manor as opposed to the student village.

At what stage do ye think you'd wanna be sorting your accomadation... early Aug or before or later?

If you can you should sort it out before the CAO offers come out, you'll have a better choice of places available then before all the secondary school students get there places and start looking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Stain Boy

Gotta get out of my current place. Need to actually start doing some work?

I don't have mammy and daddy's attic, so I have to lug 100% of my possessions with me so does anyone know of a DOUBLE room close by to DKIT? Not Rockfield or College Heights. College Manor would suit tho! Please IM me with any details!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭dan759

Have a large Single room available in College Heights. The last guy was a kid who nearly burned down the place when he tried to cook, talked to himself, and smoked weed like 24/7. If you fit that kind of description. Not interested! :p

Other than that, Non smoker please. This isnt a party place. Its a 3 bed apartment. 2 guys in it at the min. We both have en-suites so the main bathroom is usually un-used by us.

We have 8 mb broadband, split between 3 is 17 a month each. gas is 70 every two months, split between 3 is 23 euro. And esb is about 60.

The room is 55 a week. So altogether its quite a cheap place to live for being right next to the college.

PM me if your interested and want to talk

• Registered Users Posts: 33 kizzle

Hi i'm hopefully going to dkit next year to do PR and i'm just wondering what accomadation is best to meet people because i'm most likely going on my own!
    i've been in UL for the past year and it seems like on campus accomadation is the best place for it there, but are things different in dkit?? :)

On Campus in Dundalk tends to be full of erasmus students so may not be the best place to get to know people, unless you end up with the SU crowd as they get housed there too.

College Manor, College Heights, Rockfield are all close to the college and have healthy student populations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

draffodx wrote: »
    College Manor, College Heights, Rockfield are all close to the college and have healthy student populations

I'd go for one of these really, probably steering clear of Rockfield though as it's a bit too mad (sometimes).

The apartments are a bit small (really small) tbh, but if you don't mind that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 heyoheah

draffodx wrote: »
    do you know the name of the street where the music building is?
    i think its the carrols building so the student apartments would be good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭ladylorenzo

Hi guys,

We have a bright and spacious double room to rent in Castle Park which would suit a mature student who'd prefer a bit of peace and quiet to the party lifestyle during term!The house is situated in a small quiet housing estate just off the M1. All mod cons and private parking. On main bus route(bus every 30mins) and within waling distance to town, train station and all amenities.Rent is €70 p.w including all bills. Non-smokers only! The room will be available from mid August to end of term. PM me if interested. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

guys im a mature student looking to rent in glenwood or somewhere similar(not one of the bonkers estates :) ) if anyone is looking to fill a room let me know, hoping to pay about €50pw, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DirtyDiesels

i have a house for rent in rockfield with four rooms to rent.
    the house has been newly painted. all mod cons. very spacious.
    im looking for 6 people to fill it but if i get 4 good tenants i will be happier than 6 messers.
    single rooms are 75/week. front double room with en-suite is 65/person/week.
    back double room is 55/person/week.

preferably non smokers. Party animals need not apply.400 deposit upfront and this will be returned at the end of the year provided everything is in the same condition as at the start of the lease.
    This house and its immaculate and just been painted , i just want some decent, honest students.

If interested have a Copy of PPS NO. I will also a parent/guardian co signature on the lease....

PM Me if your interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 katemccb

Single and twin room with 2 beds to rent college manor €65 p/p really nice house sky and bins included in rent, 2 girls one lad living there 1 student other working looking someone in 23-26 age group near college 260 eur deposit and 1st weeks rent up first. pm for further details house available to view most times .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Hi Folks,

The accommodation list is out for 2011.
    The link is at at the bottom of this linked page.

Hope its useful, Happy house hunting!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 brianm9309

Hi...just got offered Humanities in DKIT. I know nothing about dundalk and im absolutly lost! Im a mature student lookin for accommodation...1 or 2 person appartment/shared house...preferably a quiet area close to campus?? Any reccomendations? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

do you have transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭emmbay

Advice to anyone who is considering accommodation is to share with someone you know, live in a house which is landlord occupied and MAKE SURE YOU SIGN A CONTRACT AND STICK TO IT!

Mod Edited:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Jonti

Hi,
    Any areas I should avoid renting in Dundalk?

Tnaks

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Zeppelin67

Hi Guys, looking to head to DKIT this year. Any advice on Dundalk Student Village? What's the on campus accommodation like and are there security on site?

I'm looking to live somewhere quiet enough but still want to get to know lots of people? Also haven't heard much about Mournview. It looks nice - just wondering has anyone any experience of it? Suggests and help very much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭emmbay

Zeppelin67 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, looking to head to DKIT this year. Any advice on Dundalk Student Village? What's the on campus accommodation like and are there security on site?

I'm looking to live somewhere quiet enough but still want to get to know lots of people? Also haven't heard much about Mournview. It looks nice - just wondering has anyone any experience of it? Suggests and help very much appreciated.

Well if ur looking for somewhere quiet stay away from the student village

• Registered Users Posts: 19 aroch10

Zeppelin67 wrote: »

Hi! Hope you end up in Dundalk in September... its a great college! The student Village, as anywhere has its pros and cons. Pros being.... Great for getting to know people, Close to the college, reasonably safe. Cons being... Expensive, Living with 4 other people can be a nightmare (It only takes one), and i found the inventory to be terrible.

As for Mournview, I have never stood foot in the place. To b honest... it is generally avoided by irish students and occupied by eramus students. It not no only student accommodation.. to my knowledge it is also occupied by some families.

Mid summer the Student Union will issue the accommodation list and you should find it easy enough to find a nice house/room to rent.

hope this helped

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Amabilis

Hi!
    I have applied for DKIT....obviously don't have the results yet, but it would be nice to get to know some people before I get there. I'd love to share house if I get accepted. I hope to study business with event management. Im friendly, easy going and very sociable person ;) if you want to get to me know better, don't hesitate to text me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 aroch10

Hi :) Lookin for housemates for this college year! :) if anyone interested pm me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 eyssy12

Well, me and a friend of mine both are going to DKIT so we are looking for another person for accomodation since noone else from our friends is going there. If anyone interested PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 paulc216

Hey the best place to stay would be rockfield manor, only 5 min walk from dkit. Theres a few houses left, give this one a call ino she definitely has a few bedrooms left for rent for students... 0868463242.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1254582

hey paul, im still looking for a place myself here. Is that the house you posted right there you made a deposit on? Is there broadband there aswell?

hey yea i paid a deposit today...the landlord said tat if we gt a full house the rent will only be 55 a week and im the only person whos paid my deposit on the house yet and the house sleeps 6....house seems great bt id advise 2 go up and have a look urself, only thing is the house hasnt any broadband :/:/. Yea tats the house on the link. Give the landlord a call sure.

awh right.. the house looks grand from the pics and all but not having broadband is a pity since it's a necessity for me.. might give her a call..

• Advertisement

yea ino i was thinkin the same, its a bit of a disadvantage isnt it, if ur talkin 2 her see wat she says about the internet situation.

Advertisement