Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Desert Island disc - Experimental boards

• 02-06-2009 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭

Ok guys,just to get a bit of traffic moving here - what is your desert island disc? (or favourite album of all time)
    Mine would be
    1 - Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Sounds vol.2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Terry Cotta

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92

just doesn't get old....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

buck65 wrote: »
    Ok guys,just to get a bit of traffic moving here - what is your desert island disc? (or favourite album of all time)
    Mine would be
    1 - Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Sounds vol.2

I'd probably say the same, or maybe drukqs

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I find it so so difficult to pin one album down but a frequent album for me when I can't pick something in a hurry is 'Emit Ecaps' by Spacetime Continuum... an absolutely stunning album from start to finish.

http://www.discogs.com/Spacetime-Continuum-Emit-Ecaps/release/8405

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Hate to narrow it down to just one album. Top 5 would be:

Endtroducing... DJ Shadow
    Vision Creation Newsun - Boredoms
    More You Becomes You - Plush
    Music For Egon Schiele - Rachel's
    Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada - Godspeed You Black Emperor

If pushed, DJ Shadow would shade it (if you'll excuse the pun)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

Orbital: Snivilisation

I never seem to get bored of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

One choice? It would probably be The Necks: See through/Mosquito.
    Hard on the heels of Pat Metheny's one-track CD suite The Way Up, here's some more writing on the wall for short attention span/instant gratification culture, as the Time Lords from Oz touch down with an even more uncompromising release. This double CD features two supra- minimalist, breathtakingly audacious, hour-long sound and texture nano explorations—each of them hugely compelling and therapeutic listening.

"Mosquito" and "See Through" each last a fraction under 62 minutes and are powerfully reminiscent (you'll have to trust me on this) of sitting on a Welsh mountainside, with a headful of Owsley's finest, watching the sunrise. It's that hyper real, hyper slo mo, hyper clear and pure an experience. Or to put it another way, it's like some giant MRI scanner has sliced a nanosecond of time and space and placed it under a molecular microscope for The Necks to investigate and fine tune.

"Mosquito" opens with what sound like bamboo windchimes being pulled delicately over the head of a hand drum, while a Tibetan prayer bell pulses softly in the background and the double bass plays the simplest one-note ostinato. These elements continue, with subtle variations, throughout the track, becoming the foundation for a repeated sequence of quietly ecstatic piano chords. And that's it. For over an hour. It's awesome, if awesome can be applied to something so miniature and so finely calibrated.

"See Through" is different again, rich and baroque where "Mosquito" is austere and rigorous, and—in its use of silence—even more extreme. A handful of gorgeous piano chords, tamboura-like bass drones and gently splashing cymbals evoke—indeed, get right to the core of—Alice Coltrane and Pharoah Sanders's early astral-jazz workouts. The track is particularly reminiscent of the (for its time) long, drawn-out intro to Sanders' "Upper Egypt And Lower Egypt," but instead of lasting eleven minutes or so, continues with practically zero linear or narrative development for the entire hour. The Necks intensify the magic by contrasting the richness of the vamp with occasional periods of up to four minutes' silence, or near-silence broken only by Aeolian harplike high frequency resonances from piano strings, cymbals, and other objects in the studio.

Totally immersive and astonishing music which will take you out of yourself, and bring you back one or two hours later refreshed and re-energised.

If you mean experimental electronica though, it might just have to be Oval - 94 Diskont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 CeluiDuDehors

Nothing's really experimental in what you've suggested i think... personnally I would choose;

Iannis Xenakis "La legende d'Eer" and Pierre Henry "Apocalypse de Jean" or "Fragments pour Artaud". MASTERPIECES :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Biosphere - Substrata

it's the yardstick for me when it comes to electronic/ambient/experimental

but if I could sneak in a few extras on my mp3 player I'd bring along some Carbon Based Lifeforms, early Tangerine Dream, Solar Fields, Shpongle and buried deep inside my anal cavity I'd hide a copy of Made in Japan by Deep Purple cos I'm still a sucker for that album after all these years, besides, a good Hammond organ solo never hurt anyone :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

For the experimental bit, would Reich's City Life count?

If we can pick anything at all, The Soft Bulletin by The Flaming Lips, hands down.

Actually, maybe Zaireeka by The Flaming Lips would count as experimental? Zaireeka! But I don't think the 'Desert Island Disc' debate caters with four CD players :p

I don't want to go attempting to draw lines in the sand, but it would be a good idea to stick with stuff that most of us can agree is truly experimental ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

o dear, if there are criteria involved .... :(

No criteria, I just think that we should stick with things that we can broadly accept as Experimental. Although I accept that reaching a common definition would be like trying to nail jelly to the ceiling :pac:

Advertisement