Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dont understand this

Options
  • 02-06-2009 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭

I had a Ruger 10/22 for general bunny duties. I preferred using it for hunting than the CZ453 because of the weight difference. It wasnt particularly accurate though and I always was uneasy around semi autos. Last week I decided to change it for a bog standard CZ 452. I ended up getting the gun on Saturday. It isnt quite bog standard though, it is a 452-2e zkm super match.
    Either way, took it out and tried it. This rifle shoots the pants off the cz453. Lousy trigger. ugly beech stock, no chequering but beats the 453 easily. The 453 has a heavy floating barrel, lovely trigger, gorgeous stock.
    The 452 out of the box shot 12-13mm with Eley subs, the 453 gives 25mm+. The 452 may even be tighter with Lapua solids but it's hard to measure.

So why is one gun (supposedly cheaper) so much better than the piece of eye candy from the same company? Beats me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

What's the condition of the inside of the barrel and the crown on the 453?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

Hi Sparks,
    Absolutely perfect as far as I can see. No burrs, nicks, rust, pits as far as I can tell. The only noticeable difference being that the 453's bolt is a slightly looser fit in the action. The 452's bolt is quite tight particularly in the last 10-15 degree rotation of the bolt when a round is in the chamber.
    The CZ has a good reputation, I wonder is my 453 the exception to the rule? A Monday gun perhaps?
    The super match has 12 land rifling as opposed to the traditional 6 lands found on CZ's.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

TBH, I'd have thought the 452 was the exception to the rule, not the 453. 10-12mm groups (measured from edge to edge @50m) is pretty much up there at the absolute best group size that Eley have encountered when batch-testing at their factory. CZ's aren't bad little rifles, but they're not usually that good.

If there's no damage to the crown, and borescoping doesn't reveal any bulges or other wear/tear inside the barrel, I suppose I'd start off by looking to the bolt, though I might look at the bedding of the action first if it's any different between the two (purely because that'd be an easier thing to look at). If your bolt is loose to the point where the headspace is inconsistent, that'd muck things up pretty decently allright.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Damn, regretting buying the more expensive heavy barrel now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

I think it may have something to do with the NEW super match having a 12 groove 25" match grade barrel .

Seen an article somewhere will try to find it.

FS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

supermatch_0001-1.jpg

supermatch2_0002.jpg

supermatch2_0001.jpg

Just hope this works and it is from the US so they tend to use a lot of HV .22 rounds.

FS

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

Interesting thanks FS,looks very simular to a friends CZ action set up which i was looking for info on,his has the barrel band/recoil lug but no screw,just a single action screw in front mag,shoots fantastic considering,
    Anyway i'm just curious as to how shot groups should be measured here,i noticed SPARKS said edge to edge,i always measure edge to edge and subtract calibre
    Correct if wrong but i think thats standard practice in US also

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

A good article on the CZ 452 Super Match in Target Sports Nov 2008. The reviewer was quite impressed.

Advertisement