Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Junk Mail - Started Again!

Options
  • 02-06-2009 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

After months of no junk mail from the losers in UPC I got one in the post this morning.

I thought after sending back every letter they sent with 'return to sender' on it they would have got the message by now.

Is it just me or have they started sending this junk again? Has anyone had any luck getting removed from their list?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I just stick all the junk mail I can back in to the freepost return envelope and send it back to them. Costs them the postage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Sleipnir wrote: »
    I just stick all the junk mail I can back in to the freepost return envelope and send it back to them. Costs them the postage too.

I heard someone whop did that before too, great idea, although they dont supply an envelope and they dont quote any freepost address anymore.

I only got away from teh company very recently as in within last month and have already received 3 letters from them canvassing for business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

they were sending me out crap for ages, addressed to the person who owned my house before me. I had to ring about 50 times, I told them i have sky and don't want their mail. Then they started sending messages to "the occupant".

I've rung and rung and rung, can't get off the list. I wonder if there's an agency I could report them to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

tbh wrote: »
    they were sending me out crap for ages, addressed to the person who owned my house before me. I had to ring about 50 times, I told them i have sky and don't want their mail. Then they started sending messages to "the occupant".

I've rung and rung and rung, can't get off the list. I wonder if there's an agency I could report them to?

I'm in the same boat, would love to find out if I can get them to stop sending me mail!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sleipnir wrote: »
    And a nice brick just to cost a bit more, if only I had a dog I know where those bags of dog crap would be going.

dont quote any freepost address anymore.
    You could just put their normal address and write freepost on it, not sure what happens in that case though. I think the reciever can be charged, but might just refuse it.

A lad in the US signed up to all the junk mail places he could get, he used it to fuel his burner out the back! free heating all year found, just pity the poor postman having to haul up kilos of paper each day.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    You could just put their normal address and write freepost on it, not sure what happens in that case though. I think the reciever can be charged, but might just refuse it.

they'll get a note in the door to say there's a letter for them to pick up in the sorting office. But not who it's from :) it's a handy tactic to employ.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

They're a nightmare. I spent 30 minutes on hold one day trying to get a manager after 6 months of receiving letters to 'the occupant'. No, I don't want your sh*tty, 30 channel, pixelated, blurred television 'service', nor do I want your sh*te decoder box which is slower than treacle.

• Moderators Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭Spocker

Sorry to sound a bum note on that one, but you can't stop post thats addressed to "the occupant" (it's how An Post make their money)

There is a Mailing Preference Service, that you can sign up to for free, more info here:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/telecommunications-and-postal-services/dealing_with_unsolicited_direct_marketing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

i tried reporting them to data protection for spamming me like that. but becuase it's addressed to "the occupant" its not a misuse of data and so not a breach

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Do An Post actually return stuff they are well aware is just marketing junk?

• Advertisement

how about we pool our resources? hang on to as many envelopes as we can for the next six weeks and send them back all on the same day?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

how about we pool our resources? hang on to as many envelopes as we can for the next six weeks and send them back all on the same day?

Great idea :)

How about we go one more and send them back our old telephone directories!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭notnem

dade wrote: »
    i tried reporting them to data protection for spamming me like that. but becuase it's addressed to "the occupant" its not a misuse of data and so not a breach

Does this mean if you unsubscribe from their mail list they can just keep sending you mail but address it to occupant instead? This is happening to me at the moment. Spent 45 mins on hold one night to get removed from the marketing material, but it has started again but is addressed to occupant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

i dont even bother opening letters sent to the occupant...they are all sent 'return to sender'

if the people sending the letter couldnt be bothered to get my name /dont have it then i dont want their spam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ned78 wrote: »
    They're a nightmare. I spent 30 minutes on hold one day trying to get a manager after 6 months of receiving letters to 'the occupant'. No, I don't want your sh*tty, 30 channel, pixelated, blurred television 'service', nor do I want your sh*te decoder box which is slower than treacle.
    notnem wrote: »
    Does this mean if you unsubscribe from their mail list they can just keep sending you mail but address it to occupant instead? This is happening to me at the moment. Spent 45 mins on hold one night to get removed from the marketing material, but it has started again but is addressed to occupant.
    daheff wrote: »
    i dont even bother opening letters sent to the occupant...they are all sent 'return to sender'

if the people sending the letter couldnt be bothered to get my name /dont have it then i dont want their spam

reputable companies will know your name and use it to address you!

just return all "the occupant" addressed post to sender and they will get the message eventually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

this is what you do to get even..

1)find out name of managing director of UPC and tthe address of his office

2)look in every magazine/newspaper for offers of free brochures etc.

3)fill out forms with the managing directors name and address

4) send of for the free brochures on behalf o f the managing director:D

What I suggest is that between now, and, say, 1st of September, we get as many people as possible to hold onto these letters, and then we all post them back on the same day, with the same message written on them. If they were to get thousands of returned deliveries on the same day, they might take notice. Worth starting a new thread for I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

do chorus watch the obituaries to see when addresses will shortly have new potential customers? i noticed some time ago after the deaths of three different unconnected people they all got mail(at least two letters each) from chorus/upc addressed to the occupant shortly after their deaths whilst they did not get any in the months before they died afaik

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

foggy_lad wrote: »
    do chorus watch the obituaries to see when addresses will shortly have new potential customers? i noticed some time ago after the deaths of three different unconnected people they all got mail(at least two letters each) from chorus/upc addressed to the occupant shortly after their deaths whilst they did not get any in the months before they died afaik

If they're dead how do you know they didn't get letter previously ? ;)

I've a nice pile of UPC letters all readdressed to Mark Coan (who is their marketing manager IIRC) - must get around to posting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭notnem

I've emailed NTL twice to see if getting my name removed from the marketing material list resulted in mails being sent to my address as Occupant rather than my name. Almost two weeks now and no response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

notnem wrote: »
    I've emailed NTL twice to see if getting my name removed from the marketing material list resulted in mails being sent to my address as Occupant rather than my name. Almost two weeks now and no response.

Don’t hold your breathe :) you'll be waiting.

Got another letter this morning - heading straight back to them.

Advertisement