Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2009 - All discussion, no ticket sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

rondeco wrote: »
    I blagged my way into the VIP tent where The Saturdays gave a mini performance! They are hot, hot , HOT!
    U sunnuvvabech!

They were pretty amazin actually

I hope they didnt think the crowd they got was all loyal fans :P

headin back up now, woop woop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

I went for the day yesterday. Got there at around 3 or so, it then rained pretty much non-stop til 9:30 or so ( when Elbow, who were excellent, were singing 'Perfect Weather To Fly :).

I was in full wet gear ( jacket, trousers, wellies ) and still found it tough. Mud everywhere, along with people thinking the coolest thing in the world was kicking the mud and puddles at anyone who came near.

The New Bands tent was very popular, as it was a dry tent you could get into! Saw a few lasses dancing around in their bras ( which Security eventually got around to stopping, much to everyone's disappointment ) and a guy so drunk that he was rolling around in the mud with his pants around his ankles and his cock hanging out ( which Security stopped very quickly, much to everyone's appreciation ).

Highlights for me were probably Elbow and Kings of Leon. Tried the queue for the Pit during Elbow, but as we got near the front more and more people were skipping the queue, it got wider and wider and then some crowd trouble started, people were getting squashed so Security ( who weren't really keeping an eye on the queue at all apart from at the very top ) said the Pit was closed, just so some people would leave the queue. Within 2 minutes they were letting people in again, though at that stage we'd decided to skip it.

That said, up near the front ( outside the pit ) was pretty hectic during Bloc Party, with everyone trying to get to the front, despite there being no room. It ended up with a big push coming from one side ( I don't know why ) and we all ended up on the ground, quite a few people were shook up and injured during that, I know my shoulder flew into some girl's face. We decided it'd be a good idea to get out of there and stayed nearer the back for Kings Of Leon. They'd a great set, lots of energy, but didn't really engage with the crowd that much, apart from near the end.

So, it was very wet, very muddy, the music was good, most of the organisation ( buses etc. ) seemed to go well, traffic was light in Naas, but as usual, 80,000 drunk people is always going to lead to some trouble, and security could have handled it a bit better, though I wouldn't like their job. I'm definitely too old for that stuff now, it's 'seat only' gigs for me from now on. I'd hate to have got back to a tent at 1am last night....

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Bluetonic wrote: »
    77 arrests as of last night.
    Well now look at the time I posted so clearly new figures would not have been listed!

HAHAHAAHAHA!

Posting from my bedroom and the heavens have just opened....I'm only around 15 miles away from Punchestowm so it shouldn't be long before this gets there....jesus it's torrential...can't see out the windows!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

Got my day ticket for friday for 50 and managed to get a camping wristband from welfare so was gona head down tonight but not gona bother now.

• Advertisement

How'd you manage that!?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The Mars Volta were amazing, that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

jasonb wrote: »
    I'd hate to have got back to a tent at 1am last night...

Went for the day yesterday too. Nick Cave finished at around 1 and i was home in my warm bed by a quarter to three. Camped the last two years and i must say i missed all the craic you get with the camping part. Definitly going to camp next year rain or shine. It can never get worse than 2007 anyway

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

The Mars Volta were amazing, that is all.

I hate you :)

I had convinced myself they could never be good in a festival setting with a short performance time. Dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Been honest,didnt have much of a desire to go this year although maybe if I had money I wouldnt be saying that.But after having a taste of foreign festivals It would take somethin really special to make me go.But after all that did anyone see TV on the Radio last night!? Would have lurrrrved to go see them...

• Advertisement

I wasn't bothered going for the pure fact the only new headliner was Blur....and that wasn't going to make me go!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Bad points: The scam at the bar charging 9 euro for a pint. The mud as well was crazy, but to be honest, it was managable.

Good points: Stewarts were good this year, were really helpful and really made a point of being so.

Nick Cave: what a legend!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

monkey9 wrote: »
    Bad points: The scam at the bar charging 9 euro for a pint. The mud as well was crazy, but to be honest, it was managable.

It's €6 a pint with a €3 deposit on your cup that you get back, which is great cause you can trade in lost glasses you find on the ground for free beer!:)

I'm supposed to be there, free tickets, but the weather's too **** for me to bother walking 5 minutes down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 onymorgs

lordgoat wrote: »
    Just back from day 1 and i have to say i have somegreat news.

Zero complaints from an organisational point of view. Traffic was non existent when we left naas today. I chose to park in Naas and get the free shuttle bus, from main street. Driving into Naas though there was no traffic and the park n ride buses from Goff's were flying in.

When we got there, lots of stewards making sure everyone knew which way to go. All very friendly and competent. Tickets checked and scanned. Bags half checked but no better or worse than any other festival i've been too.

Security in the arena was consistent and there was a large presence of stewards just out randomly walking around, generally helping people.

And while i did leave early i can't forsee there being that much of a traffic back log tonight or over the weekend. Sure at peak times there will be heavy volume but it will be cleared quickly.

Music wise:

Started off the day with Jape, then Lily, bit of Duke special (same old same old with a great Woody Guthrie/Wilco BB cover), then Iain Archer (great set, more people should have been there), David Kitt (awesome show and again more people needed to be there) a bit of Pendulum (not my thing but at times they were super) and a little bit of Blur to finish up with.

did you not just get goosed and go to the dance tent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

My fianceés sister came home last night from camping her tent was slashed in the night. But she was also told somebody was killed during pendulum, crushed or something, has anyone else heard of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

allanb49 wrote: »
    My fianceés sister came home last night from camping her tent was slashed in the night. But she was also told somebody was killed during pendulum, crushed or something, has anyone else heard of this?

Not heard anything along those lines, would take some doin to get killed at a feckin Pendulum set.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

amacachi wrote: »
    Not heard anything along those lines, would take some doin to get killed at a feckin Pendulum set.

Lol well i hope its not true and just a campside rumor thats going around

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sudzy

I agree!! Dance tent all the way.. too bad im not there now...

Same stories every year and people always fall for it!

I'd die with a great feeling of shame if it happened to me, it'd be like getting killed at a Barney gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sudzy

amacachi wrote: »
    I'd die with a great feeling of shame if it happened to me, it'd be like getting killed at a Barney gig.

Does barney do gigs these days? Hope he's at oxegen next year, maybe then they'd actually hav a good line-up!

sudzy wrote: »
    Does barney do gigs these days? Hope he's at oxegen next year, maybe then they'd actually hav a good line-up!
    tumbleweed.jpg

sudzy wrote: »

Can't see it getin much worse than it is tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

banjopaul wrote: »
    It's €6 a pint with a €3 deposit on your cup that you get back

A €3 deposit on your cup? Are they silver lined tankards? Cheeky ****ers if you ask me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

You keep your cup and get it refilled for €6 AFAIR. Reduces waste :)

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    A €3 deposit on your cup? Are they silver lined tankards? Cheeky ****ers if you ask me.

They make SFA on the cups, always some clever people collecting them on the Monday mornin to make a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Scien wrote: »
    But the bar will hardly be open tomorrow will it?

nope but they have a few places open giving refunds on cups, just giving out money, not selling any beer!

Scien wrote: »
    But the bar will hardly be open tomorrow will it?

Never stayed til a Monday, but the refunds are still on the go, know a few people who made a nice few quid last year, covered all but their ticket expenses for the weekend.

• Advertisement

I'd say it'd be hard enough finding cups in the muck in the morning!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement