Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2009 - All discussion, no ticket sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

amacachi wrote: »
    Never stayed til a Monday, but the refunds are still on the go, know a few people who made a nice few quid last year, covered all but their ticket expenses for the weekend.

Yeah last year I cashed in my cups on sunday night and got €50, nice way to top off the weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

banjopaul wrote: »
    Yeah last year I cashed in my cups on sunday night and got €50, nice way to top off the weekend!

50 isn't a multiple of 3...

:P One lad got 99quid last year. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

50 isn't a multiple of 3...

:P One lad got 99quid last year. :P

Ah stop being so pedantic:p
    €51 then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Just back from it now. Real quality set from Jane's addiction, Perry is a great frontman.

Anyone any idea how lads kept getting up those towers during the Killers? Really thought one of them was going to fall off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭whodoo

friend of mine just texted me to say that theres a nice amount of young scumbags roaming oxygen this year...again.
    And the scum are well-to-do middle class types.....bloody discrace

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 freshtodeath

Went down for Saturday, here's a few of my thoughts:

- Yeah it was a bit rainy and windy but not really so much as to warrant complaints. I was expecting much worse tbh

- People complaining about mud obviously weren't there for 2007.

- Security was very lax. "Any glass bottles?"; "No"; "Ok then, on ya go" (Should have brought more cans :mad: ;))

- Sound was a bit off for a couple of acts, could be due to weather. Still enjoyed the performances

- Highlights for me were the Gaslight Anthem and Crystal Castles. Gaslight Anthem really seemed to enjoy the show themselves, and were excellent. Crystal Castles was unbelievable. I was skeptical before, as I always heard that they were excellent live but I always thought it was cos Alice was just such a mad freak (which she is tbf), but they were excellent and the RBMA was a perfect setting for them

- Lowlight was Kings of Leon setlist. Too much of their new album for me. Also, Bloc Party made some of their better songs sound very average. It also annoys me how they always finish up with Helicopter. Good song, but I hate knowing for definite what the next song is going to be. So when they said, this is our last song, I knew immediately what it was

- Dublin Bus was very handy, waiting no more than about 15 seconds to get a bus home.

- The eco-glass thing was a very good idea imo, much less litter around than previous years. Luckily I found a couple of glasses so I saved a few euros on my pints.

Just my 2c for the moment :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

whodoo wrote: »
    friend of mine just texted me to say that theres a nice amount of young scumbags roaming oxygen this year...again.
    And the scum are well-to-do middle class types.....bloody discrace

Ok any more of this ^ ^ and there'll be bannings. No broad generalisations or name calling. First and only warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

The eco-glass thing was a very good idea imo, much less litter around than previous years.

Well they started that last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Spencer87

Went down on the Saturday and had a good day, Got down about 1 and hit the booze for an hour outside then went in and the rain started, took shelter and watched Regina Spektor, Tv on the Radio and Pete Doherty, only ventured to the Main Stage for Yeah Yeah Yeah's and got drenched, When Bloc Party came on the rain stopped and stayed up the front for all their set, It was the 8th time i'd seen Kings Of Leon and probably the best, The set was really good considering there wasnt much from Youth and Young Manhood on it, shame Caleb broke his guitar as he wrote all the albums on it to this date, Was really worried about having to wait the same amount of time for a bus from Slane but got one with ease and back to Town about 2, The mud was awful, anyone who camped in that is mad, It was disgusting, after 07 i said i never would again and, Ireland can't hold weekend festivals, Wonder when mcd will realise

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Spencer87 wrote: »
    Tv on the Radio and Pete Doherty,
    How were they? Did TVOTR get a good crowd cause I read the turn out for them at T in the park was bad.
    Ireland can't hold weekend festivals, Wonder when mcd will realise
    Chi-ching, good luck.

I have to say I was delighted to see the weather sucked and it was a mud bath and the Horrors cancelled and the Manics setlist wasn't as great as I thought it would be. Took the sting out of missing all the great music.

Hopefully Horrors will play EP to make up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

kmart6 wrote: »
    Posting from my bedroom and the heavens have just opened....I'm only around 15 miles away from Punchestowm so it shouldn't be long before this gets there....jesus it's torrential...can't see out the windows!!!

We'd ducked into the Green Spheres tent just before the deluge hit yesterday. Looked outside during the (very good) Foals set and despaired, started testing Noah. Turned the place into a total quagmire, especially near the flag circle.

Just there for the day yesterday, have to say the main stage lineup for Sunday was atrocious but free tickets so mustn't grumble. Was between two minds: go with the gang to the Killers, or strike off to the Manics. Manics won :D and they played a belter, a few new tunes that I (and a fair few in the crowd TBH) weren't too familiar with, but more than made up for it with Faster, All Suface No Feeling, Ocean Spray and a lot of tunes from This is My Truth...
    Best of the day for me.

Packed into the Red Bell tent beforehand for Florence and The Machine. Absolutely jammers, but can't see what all the fuss is about. Bailed early for nibbles and the Manics.

Curiosity wheeled us to Lady Gaga: what a joke, the sound (such as it is ;)) was completely off. Left after 5 minutes. The flood of people leaving the Main Stage was unreal.

Starsailor were better than I expected, and the Ting Tings really got the crowd going, especially with That's Not My Name.

The park'n'ride facility was grand, slow going for the shuttle getting through Naas but no delays at Punchestown or Goffs. Was dreading it after hearing about the AC/DC chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

I have to say I was delighted to see the weather sucked and it was a mud bath and the Horrors cancelled and the Manics setlist wasn't as great as I thought it would be. Took the sting out of missing all the great music.

I last saw the Manics live 12 years ago...and they were terrible. I love the band and really wanted to see them play a great live set. I got that in spades last night. New songs fitted in perfectly and the crowd was really into the whole show. Also had a nice hill to stand on in the middle of the tent so a perfect view. A couple songs short of a brilliant set list I'll agree...but all round thumbs up. Worth missing NIN last ever Irish gig for!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

catch--22 wrote: »
    I last saw the Manics live 12 years ago...and they were terrible. I love the band and really wanted to see them play a great live set. I got that in spades last night. New songs fitted in perfectly and the crowd was really into the whole show. Also had a nice hill to stand on in the middle of the tent so a perfect view. A couple songs short of a brilliant set list I'll agree...but all round thumbs up. Worth missing NIN last ever Irish gig for!

I don't doubt they played a blinder but seeing the T in the Park set list I would have been disappointed to see 4/5 songs from TIMTTMY and only 1 new song. Given how proud they are of the new album I'd feel short changed hearing so many from an album they wouldn't feel is anywhere near their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Sorry for the long post, I needed to get this out of my system!!

Anyway I'm just back this morning since 9.30 and I feel like ****e, my voice is nearly gone and I need a shower and some sleep.

We had no tickets on Thursday, I was planning to get my tickets on toutless.com but more wanted ads seemed to be going up than for sale ads, so we ended up going down to the Jervis street Ticketmaster outlet on Friday and paying full whack!! Having said that one of my friends bought a fake ticket outside for 150 but he bull****ted his way in - he also saw the stabbing incident.

Anyway four of us headed down Friday and we didn't get a great vibe off the people wandering around the blue campsite but we still camped there. Anyway got a grand spot but I had a tent and to be honest before I left I wasn't even sure if there was a tent in the bag.....it was all there anyway, apart from the cover thing for the top, so ya the tent ended up getting wet. My friends one was grand but it was a bit small.

Drink wise we bought none in the arena, snook it all in easily enough, we didn't have bags. My friend had a litre bottle of vodka on him and 3 or 4 cans. We always made sure to have a can our on approach so we could drop that in the bin to draw the attention away from are suspect walking.

Anyway on to the music; really enjoyed Elbow, The Killers(which I wasn't expecting), Razorlight were good too surprisingly. The specials were good, Paulo Nutini was very good. Gaga was kinda crap.....she seems like a bit of a twat. Snow Patrol were a little disappointing, they were amazing in 07. Blur, well I dunno they could have been so much better. I was sickened by the fact that Florence and the Machine were late coming on to the stage. I decided to go to see The Killers because of this bird I was chatting to and I just ended up missing Cosmic Love, which I has been looking forward to for weeks. And I didn't even get with yer one.

Kings of Leon.....well I'm not sure if I was there,! I know I was near the stage but I got brought into the whole muck diving thing, seemed like a great idea when locked. It was good craic but I lost my jacket, which I bought two hours before that for €18. I also lost my wallet (with about 60-100 cash) and watch. And to top it all off I lost my iPhone :mad::mad:, and to make it even worse my friend got a txt from my phone saying I have your phone, call me. She didn't see the txt til the morning and when I rang my phone it was off - battery dead.

So ya a very very mixed weekend, it was my 3rd year in a row too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Went on Sunday. Missed Fever Ray so started off with Lady Gaga, who put on a good show yet the sound was horrendous. Fortunately it was alot better later on for The Specials, who I really enjoyed.

Jane's Addiction were fantastic. Was disappointed with Nine Inch Nails, the setlist was predictable and they just weren't as good as their '07 shows.

Also saw bits of Friendly Fires, Telepathe, Katy Perry and saw most of Of Montreal.

All in all, thumbs up. Nice variety of music and the organisation was good. Eco-cup thing is great and I like the new Red Bull stage, very EP inspired. There were no issues with bus transport and traffic in/out of the festival site was non-existent.

Shame about the weather, having last been in '07 the association with mud is firmly lodged in my mind. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Just back now, class weekend!

The Boyfriend was workin in media area so broadcast wristband for meself, VIP Area and Side Stage all the way good luck to the muck!

Republic Of Loose, in the pit, was amazing

Pet Shop Boys in the pit, by far, best gig of my life

Seen other, Killers were good, Gaga was good, Ting Tings & 2 Many DJ's to.

Roll on 2010:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Janes Addiction were class!

That is all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Just back there from my first time at Oxegen - was pretty skeptical having heard a lot of the horror stories. Thought it was absolutely class overall. Much better organized then many of the other MCD events of late.

Security were pretty good overall and a bit of craic (especially the loudspeaker lads). I was in the blue campsite which seemed to be alright overall. Not too messy but still a bit of fun - the xbox live stage was one of the highlights (especially on the thursday night). You could basically take anything you liked in with you, so it was cans galore inside.

We pretty much lived in the dance warehouse for the weekend. Saw Digitalism,Boys Noize, Crookers, Bloody Beetroots, Felix DHC, Jap. Popstars, Dr Lektroluv (highlight of the weekend), Annie Mac etc, each was better then the last - really liked the warehouse as a venue.

Saw M83 at the red bull tent and they every bit as good as I hoped, what a band. Went to see Messiah J there also, after accidently making a balls of the schedule and they were a nice addition. 2 Many Djs were amazing as usual, unfortunatly most of the crowd were at Blur so it wasn't as nuts as it should have been.

Wasn't too impressed with KOL to be honest. Saw them at Rock Werchter last year and it was the same deal, not much energy or crowd interaction, they may as well have just put on the CD. Eagles of Death Metal on the O2 stage were the opposite,the main fella is a manaic and was really good at getting the crowd going.

Lady Gaga was a laugh only because she didn't seem to know what day of the week it was.

Overall it was a great great weekend, only complaint is that we couldn't see everyone. Would have liked to have caugh Crystal Castles, Passion Pit, Florence & the Machine, NIN etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

caesar wrote: »
    Sorry for the long post, I needed to get this out of my system!!

Anyway I'm just back this morning since 9.30 and I feel like ****e, my voice is nearly gone and I need a shower and some sleep.

We had no tickets on Thursday, I was planning to get my tickets on toutless.com but more wanted ads seemed to be going up than for sale ads, so we ended up going down to the Jervis street Ticketmaster outlet on Friday and paying full whack!! Having said that one of my friends bought a fake ticket outside for 150 but he bull****ted his way in - he also saw the stabbing incident.

Anyway four of us headed down Friday and we didn't get a great vibe off the people wandering around the blue campsite but we still camped there. Anyway got a grand spot but I had a tent and to be honest before I left I wasn't even sure if there was a tent in the bag.....it was all there anyway, apart from the cover thing for the top, so ya the tent ended up getting wet. My friends one was grand but it was a bit small.

Drink wise we bought none in the arena, snook it all in easily enough, we didn't have bags. My friend had a litre bottle of vodka on him and 3 or 4 cans. We always made sure to have a can our on approach so we could drop that in the bin to draw the attention away from are suspect walking.

Anyway on to the music; really enjoyed Elbow, The Killers(which I wasn't expecting), Razorlight were good too surprisingly. The specials were good, Paulo Nutini was very good. Gaga was kinda crap.....she seems like a bit of a twat. Snow Patrol were a little disappointing, they were amazing in 07. Blur, well I dunno they could have been so much better. I was sickened by the fact that Florence and the Machine were late coming on to the stage. I decided to go to see The Killers because of this bird I was chatting to and I just ended up missing Cosmic Love, which I has been looking forward to for weeks. And I didn't even get with yer one.

Kings of Leon.....well I'm not sure if I was there,! I know I was near the stage but I got brought into the whole muck diving thing, seemed like a great idea when locked. It was good craic but I lost my jacket, which I bought two hours before that for €18. I also lost my wallet (with about 60-100 cash) and watch. And to top it all off I lost my iPhone :mad::mad:, and to make it even worse my friend got a txt from my phone saying I have your phone, call me. She didn't see the txt til the morning and when I rang my phone it was off - battery dead.

So ya a very very mixed weekend, it was my 3rd year in a row too.

Why are you shocked that you had to pay full price for your ticket?

YOU lost your money
    YOU lost your jacket
    YOU lost your phone

Sounds to me like you shouldn't be going to festivals in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Pretty good weekend overall, but not as good as I hoped.

Weather was awful today and yesterday and really dampened the spirit of alot of the gigs and people. Plus sleeping bag and inside of tent got drenched in rain or beer or something, so that was rough sleeping anyway.

A friend of mine got his phone nicked from his trousers too during a gig and he was raging. I was in red camp, and the amount of people running around falling into your tent during the night was mad, hated it though, as I got knees to the head sometimes.

Had some laugh though with friends though but the random rain showers and sleeping were ****ing terrible.

Music Highlights: Digitalism; amazing set, was there for the act before them and just before Digi came on I noticed all these people coming in, I was like I didn't think they were that popular but found out it was because of heavy rain. Some set though. harder stronger faster got some reaction.

Pendulum; Not much I can say, just ****ing mental. Was wrecked after it.

2 Many Djs; Another amazing set, loved the camera on the decks, so technical what they do. Bass was amazing and some of the remixes were so original. Out of Space by The Prodigy really got the crowd going.

Eagles of Death Metal; After us Qing for the Game to do a no show we were pretty pissed off, but they did a really high energy set and gave it all. Crowd was good too. I never did find out, but did they REALLY go down to the fair rides?

Crookers; Was mad the crowd for that, lap dancers on stage were good too ha. Wouldn't be my favourite type of music but was good craic.

Boys Noize; Amazing. All I can say Really, was expecting that too.

Fight Like Apes; Good set, the keyboardist is mad. Crowd was great for it, but sound was a bit screechy at times but good overall.

Felix The Housecat: Smack my bitch up remix was immense. Some set.

Other mentions: MSTRKRFT, Gaslight Anthem, Bloody Beetroots, Therapy?, Japanese pop stars.

Music Lowlights: Kings Of Leon; Found them a bit slow and sluggish or something. no real energy off them. Just a bit meh. Gigantic crowd for them tho.

Deadmau5: Went to him at the start of his set, did complicated and another song, but just found it a bit repetitive and samey, so glad I went too 2 many Djs.

Annie Mac; Ugh, thought it was a load of ****. We left after 15 minutes.

So yeah that's a basic summary of what I thought of the acts. Pretty good weekend overall, but I think ill be going to maybe Rock Wertcher next year after seeing the bands this year. Far cheaper too. See what happens, line up for it is always great though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Pretty good weekend overall, but not as good as I hoped.

Weather was awful today and yesterday and really dampened the spirit of alot of the gigs and people. Plus sleeping bag and inside of tent got drenched in rain or beer or something, so that was rough sleeping anyway.

A friend of mine got his phone nicked from his trousers too during a gig and he was raging. I was in red camp, and the amount of people running around falling into your tent during the night was mad, hated it though, as I got knees to the head sometimes.

Had some laugh though with friends though but the random rain showers and sleeping were ****ing terrible.

Music Highlights: Digitalism; amazing set, was there for the act before them and just before Digi came on I noticed all these people coming in, I was like I didn't think they were that popular but found out it was because of heavy rain. Some set though. harder stronger faster got some reaction.

Pendulum; Not much I can say, just ****ing mental. Was wrecked after it.

2 Many Djs; Another amazing set, loved the camera on the decks, so technical what they do. Bass was amazing and some of the remixes were so original. Out of Space by The Prodigy really got the crowd going.

Eagles of Death Metal; After us Qing for the Game to do a no show we were pretty pissed off, but they did a really high energy set and gave it all. Crowd was good too. I never did find out, but did they REALLY go down to the fair rides?

Crookers; Was mad the crowd for that, lap dancers on stage were good too ha. Wouldn't be my favourite type of music but was good craic.

Boys Noize; Amazing. All I can say Really, was expecting that too.

Fight Like Apes; Good set, the keyboardist is mad. Crowd was great for it, but sound was a bit screechy at times but good overall.

Felix The Housecat: Smack my bitch up remix was immense. Some set.

Other mentions: MSTRKRFT, Gaslight Anthem, Bloody Beetroots, Therapy?, Japanese pop stars.

Music Lowlights: Kings Of Leon; Found them a bit slow and sluggish or something. no real energy off them. Just a bit meh. Gigantic crowd for them tho.

Deadmau5: Went to him at the start of his set, did complicated and another song, but just found it a bit repetitive and samey, so glad I went too 2 many Djs.

Annie Mac; Ugh, thought it was a load of ****. We left after 15 minutes.

So yeah that's a basic summary of what I thought of the acts. Pretty good weekend overall, but I think ill be going to maybe Rock Wertcher next year after seeing the bands this year. Far cheaper too. See what happens, line up for it is always great though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Googe

Very good weekend!

Nick Cave on the Saturday night was phenomenal! The man had so much presence and energy it was truly awesome to watch. He played a great set: There She Goes My Beautiful World was great, Stagger Lee, Tupelo, Weeping Song, Mercy Seat, Red Right Hand all brilliant. Much better than the last time he played in Dublin Castle. Shane McGowan came on for the encore, I didn't recognise the song they did but McGowan was so pissed Nick had to lead him around the stage by the elbow.

Other musical highlights for the weekend were, NIN - great, closed with Hurt (noice!) M83 were really good too, Fever Ray in the dance tent put on a good show, Foals were most enjoyable in the green spheres tent as was what I saw of TV on the Radio (had to go for a piss half way through and then couldn't get back in:mad:) Patrick Wolf was good on the new band stage although as he pointed out himself he is hardly a newcomer. The Specials were great fun, played all the hits and the sound was the best I heard on the main stage all weekend.

Lowlights: YYY's the sound and the weather were so bad, couldn;t enjoy them and they were one of the main reasons I bought the ticket, shame.
    Florence and the Machine being really really late on. Not seeing Jape because didn't know he was playing. Not achieving my personal goal of sleeping with either Katy Perry or Lily Allen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ArcadeFred

Never stayed til a Monday, but the refunds are still on the go, know a few people who made a nice few quid last year, covered all but their ticket expenses for the weekend.

Well they obv tried to put a stop to that this year. We collected 10 cups on Friday night, went up on Saturday to get the money for them and yer one at the bar says you're only allowed 5 per person!! Luckily the two of us were there together so we could say we had 5 each but come on. Have you ever heard the like. Other festivals use the money for cups thing as a handy way to keep the place a bit cleaner but oh no...not Oxegen...

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

I'm just back from staying since the Friday and had a great time. The Red Camp, particularly near the back seemed more peaceful and less full of scumbags by far than the blue camp, and the mud didn't hit me too bad at all.

As for music, all were good, but Iglu and Hartley's set was brilliant, they got the crowd going in such a small set.

But the highlight of the weekend was Jason Mraz, singing to a rain-soaked audience in the green spheres tent... I fail to see how he couldn't have made anyone smile, just brilliant...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

It was fun but not as good as last years Oxegen. Wasn't ever that into the lineup but I saw some decent bands. The Specials were very fun. Shame about the rain though else the pit would've gone more crazy. Also, to anyone who gets this, CUBA/hello ladies/sit on my face!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Just went for the day yesterday, no complaints from me whatsoever (Free pass, lift, beer all day and fed for free too kinda helped :D )

Highlights were The Manics, Glasvegas, White Lies and The Virgins.

Had a brilliant time and the crowd were really friendly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭celticwe

DSC00573.JPG
    about 2 hour ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

celticwe wrote: »
    DSC00573.JPG
    about 2 hour ago
    Bulldozer and a skip will sort that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Doesn't look too bad to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Lack of fire is a good thing! The thing we were taught when I was security down there was how to put out a fire :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement