Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2009 - All discussion, no ticket sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Nea wrote: »
    Was there a big crowd watching them and how did they go down with the crowd?

I think the crowd was decent sized, not too big. I was about 10 feet from the front and managed to sneak off to the toilet and get back to my spot before the Jane Says encore.
    They were pretty well received from my point of view. I only went to see them and NiN with my friend who was only going for NiN. He's a die-hard NiN fan and had never even listened to Jane's before but has become fully converted and was raving about how good they were when they finished.

I didn't know quite what to expect as I hadn't seen them before but bloody hell, they were awesome! Is Perry Farrell the best ****ing frontman ever or what?! As soon as the first song was done I knew they weren't going to disappoint. I was grinning like the cat who got the cream through the whole thing. That grin got even bigger when my personal favourite, Summertime Rolls, came on.

I've missed so many gigs this summer, and will miss Faith No More, but that gig made up for it. NiN were very good too. The set was disappointingly short but then Trent and co. seemed really into it. Also there was a shocking lack of songs from The Fragile, other than The Big Comedown (which is my favourite so I really shouldn't complain). I suppose I should be glad I got to see him on his final tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I didn't see much scumbag behaviour, just general drunkenness all around and a load of LC kids who, let's face it, have a passive interest in the music on offer. Not all of them mind (I was a kid during the Witnness days!) but most.

I was surprised at the small crowds for many of the stages. Telepathe probably played to about 20 people, maybe another 20 on the outskirts of the tent. The Specials gathered a small crowd, though I contribute that to the huge downpour of rain which occurred just before and during their set. Jane's Addiction and Nine Inch Nails also played to relatively small crowds, a solid bunch of people but not as if the area was packed to the rafters.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Mr.S wrote: »
    Its like they are the only people who cause trouble, thoes lovely locked 18 year olds from South County Dublin did nothing at all and stayed in their tents all night yeah? :rolleyes:

Well they were definately in some tents for the night anyway, and I don't think it would be classified as roaring and shouting loud!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jebus58

Resi12 wrote: »
    The stewards were so hopeless this year for information, I was getting the shuttle bus to Naas so I could get a new tent seeing as my first one got destroyed by rain(Damn Tesco!).

So I got up and ask does he know much about Naas(So I could ask if he knew if they had an argos there) and he says "Where? That place in France":o:confused: .

maybe if you pronounced it naas instead of nice he would've been on the ball. anyhow do you really assume that every steward there has intimate knowledge of nass's shopping outlets, saying that they're hopeless is a bit harsh don't ya think, we'd knowledge about the venue, ask about that instead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

I was only there for Sunday and but was really impressed with peoples general behaviour. Saw nothing but happy/muddy/drunk people. Blood or Whiskey put on a good show for the few hundred that watched them. The Specials was good craic and I'm not a huge fan but Jane's Addiction were just outstanding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Mr.S wrote: »

obviously there where some dodgy characters around but thats like anywhere, you just avoid them and continue having fun.
    QFT. While you can be unlucky, you can can avoid trouble 98% of the time if you have the right attitude and a bit of street smarts (something that seems to be lacking in many of Boards' denizens). Listening to half of the comments here you'd think the very sight of someone in a tracksuit can somehow ruin your concert-going experience. Get the fcuk out of your little plastic bubbles, get over yourself, and you'll enjoy these events ten times more.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

The script really worked the crowd. The lads were definitely overjoyed to be playing on the main stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Philly Notaro

Great weekend!!!... Got back yesterday at around 1pm and slept until 12 today and it still feels like theres a big hazy cloud floatin around in my head!!!

Jazon Mraz and the audience in the heineken green spheres was possibly the happiest bunch of ppl ive ever been around... Bob marley and lionel richie songs were awesome:D
    Blur and james morrison were good enough... didnt go to see snow patrol because i thought it could only be dissapointing after their epic performance in 07'...
    The Killers were the best of the weekend for me though, Soooo much better than they were in 07'... some major interaction with the crowd they seemed really appreciative that we were all there in the rain again. Much more respect for them now:D

Gonna check out the electric picnic lineup now n make my mates go now by threatening to tell their parents about stuff they got up to at oxygen:P;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Jazon Mraz and the audience in the heineken green spheres was possibly the happiest bunch of ppl ive ever been around... Bob marley and lionel richie songs were awesome:D

+1 on Jason Mraz. Was my 2nd time seeing him this year, and he's always brilliant!

Did anybody else catch the lads from Stereophonics standing on stage watching Eagles of Death Metal? I was delighted with myself when I got a wave from Kelly Jones!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Blondiegirl2009

caesar wrote: »
    It was good craic but I lost my jacket, which I bought two hours before that for €18. I also lost my wallet (with about 60-100 cash) and watch. And to top it all off I lost my iPhone :mad::mad:, and to make it even worse my friend got a txt from my phone saying I have your phone, call me. She didn't see the txt til the morning and when I rang my phone it was off - battery dead. quote]

I'll tell ye a story.. decide yourselves whether we were right or wrong.It started off when these foreign guys camped in the middle of our circle. The others in our circle didnt like this, they looked dodgy, so they threw their tent off to the side. But underneath their tent we found a large amount of weed, and a bag, a bag assorted with all sorts of phones, ipods etc which continued ringing till late in the night(one song was Love Lockdown anyway). Obviously these wernt belonged to them. But our friends gave them back the bag, or else we would hav been burned out of it. Poor people being robbed :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

The cup idea is genius, one of the guys we were with made like €100 bringing back cups on Sunday night!
    Overall the weekend was great, the weather really wasn't that bad- a decent raincoat and waterproof tent and you're fine, and most of the bands were great. Security was pretty good, it all felt a little dodgy on Thursday night though cause the lack of music meant everyone just got trashed. Also it really sucks that you can't bring drink into the arena, I did manage to sneak a little in, but the stewards up there were really strict.

Some of the stewards really had no idea what was going on, I was getting the shuttle bus into Naas on Thursday and it took me ages to find a steward who could point in the right direction to get the bus. There should have been more bins too, there were loads of thistles where we camped and on Thursday I went round with a scissors and cut them all off and put them into a bin bag. I went to the nearest steward and asked him was there a bin and he said 'yeah, the ground'.

And to the bands:

Friday:
    I missed Dirty Epics because of the queue to get the shuttle bus back in from Naas but I got in for the end of God Is An Astronaut who were pretty amazing, the crowd was going mad and the buzz in there was great.
    Headed over to Japanese Popstars afterwards and they were alright but I find them a little repetitive and the crowd was seriously annoying, they kept chanting crap over the music and it was really drowning out the sound.
    I wanted to go to Ladyhawke but it was cancelled so I went to Metronomy instead. I saw them in December 07 supporting CSS and they've gotten so much better since then! I was right up in the front and it was great.
    Pendulum were amazing!! Best gig of the weekend! The sound was great and the crowd were going crazy, I nearly got crushed! Their remix of I'm not alone was incredible, way better than the original.
    I wanted so much to go to 2 Many DJ's after but myself and one of my friends got seperated from the rest of them and couldn't find them again. I was cool about going to 2 many DJ's alone but she said I had to go to Blur with her so I went. It was awful. I like Blur but really, that was one of the most boring gigs I've ever been to. The sound was awful and the crowd were dead, there was just a continuous stream of people leaving.

Saturday: Started off with Yeah Yeah Yeahs who were alright but not amazing. I think they would have worked better in a tent or late at night. It was fairly raining while they were on which didn't really help. Heads will Roll was great though, everyone just went crazy during it. I left during the pretty rubbish rendition of Maps and headed over to Peter Doherty instead. The tent was packed and you could tell that most people there weren't really fans of his music. It was a pretty good gig though, he sounded good and he seemed pretty with it.
    Crystal Castles was next for me and they were amazing, it was mad inside that tent! I don't really remember much of the gig, just remember dancing a lot. Bloc Party afterwards and I don't remember them at all but I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it. Wanted to go to Nick Cave after but ended up at Kings Of Leon. They were a bit rubbish so we left after 3 or 4 songs, loads of people were leaving, I was really surprised by how small the crowd was.

Sunday
    Really annoyed The Horrors cancelled, I was really looking forward to them. Went to some random person in the Dance Arena, apparently it was Hudson Mowhawke. Whoever it was they were pretty bad and the crowd was around 10 people.
    Calvin Harris was alright, not amazing. Everyone was saying Lady Gaga was cancelled, including the stewards. We hung around for around 10 minutes to see if she's turn up but then we left. She did turn up in the end and was apparently really good.
    White Lies were next and they were really good, missed the start but what I saw was great. Went to Katy Perry next and I was surprised by how good she was, I was expecting it to be kinda crap.
    Florence and The Machine came on seriously late, and the crowd was massive, we never actually made it inside the tent even after people left saying it was cancelled. Glad I stuck around though, it turned out to be a fantastic gig, even if it was way to short. NIN were up last, I was surprised by how few people were at it but it was a great finish to the weekend. Hurt was one of the best songs of oxegen!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭EamoS

Have to say I was impressed with it this year. hadnt been since 05 and had heard it had gone to the dogs since then. Crowd was different but it was much better organised this year. Only two things I had a problem with were:
    1. a lack of plastic walkways on the main routes along tha campsite, for instance outside where centra was in the blue campsite.
    2. Also the sound was terrible. Most notably at Foals.

Music wise it was the best Ive ever been to. Only decided i was going the week before an to be honest I wasnt into much on the line up. But after a second look i realised there was more on it for me than i thought.
    Music highlights were:
    Foals, phenomenal performance. so much energy. yannis is crazy! Best thing of the weekend for me.
    The White Lies, didnt know much of their stuff beforehand but really liked it. Good performers too.
    Oceon Colour Scene - 5th time seeing them, just brilliant musicians. NEVER dissapoint.
    RSAG - 2nd time seeing him, took one of my mates with me who really only has a passing interest in music and he was blown away! cant wait to see him again.

Music Lowlights:
    Kings of Leon, I really just went to see them to get it over and done with. Crap. They write some really good music but some artists just dont have it live, they are definitely one of those. No passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

For All The Oxegen Goers, check out the youtube channel for the festival and ya might see yourself!!! Also here is the vid of bruno talking at the gig :)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

To the people saying 'ignore the scumbags', that's all very well until they're robbing your stuff and slashing your tent?! I agree that they were in the minority and of course you can't blame MCD, a ticket holder's a ticket holder after all, but it's still the major bad point of Oxegen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

I was working on the O2 stage all weekend, must say I had a great laugh, meeting the bands and just having a great laugh with the other people I worked with but whenever I had to enter the festival arena to cut across to the canteen for my lunch and dinner, I was greeted by the biggest shower of filth I have ever seen, it was an absolute disgrace the state of some of the people, I've been to many festivals over my years, all Electric Picnics and around 8 in Europe and Oxegen is by far the worst. Fights were very common and if they weren't fighting they were shouting abuse at each other (I saw a fight in the Keane crowd, what's that about?!?) and talking to the security about things they said that after Thursday alone, there were over 20 aressts, a guy was stabbed in the car park, he didn't even make it to the festival!!! Had a break to myself on Friday night, went down to see Deadmou5 but had to leave, the hack of some of the people bumping past me, never have I seen such a crowd of squirming, squiggling majouvitts in all my life, made me quite ill, just constant screaming and whistling, nobody seemed to care about his set, just a repetitive beat would have sufficed, if I have to hear "OGEY, OGEY, OGEY" or "ONE MORE CHOON" I'll kill someone! These were chants you sang when you were a kid, the people who sing these really need to grow up, that pretty much sums up the clientelle at Oxegen, bunch of immature kids who think that Oxegen is the best place in the world and everything they do is amazing ("If found, please return to bar" t-shirts, etc.). Also, when The Game cancelled his set on Saturday, the crowd's behaviour was nothing short of animalistic! HE cancelled, repeat...HE CANCELLED, so why did all those filth bags lining the front pelt the stage with glass bottles and rocks?!? A rock missed my mate by inches, what were these people trying to achieve? The Game's pants anyway so all those knackers waiting for him, feck off and jump under a bus! (In fairness I wanted to see him bring his ladies backstage but what can you do?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Saul-Good

To the people saying 'ignore the scumbags', that's all very well until they're robbing your stuff and slashing your tent?! I agree that they were in the minority and of course you can't blame MCD, a ticket holder's a ticket holder after all, but it's still the major bad point of Oxegen.

And clubbing, housing areas, on the bus, town at night, St. Patrick's day scumbags are everywhere man, Oxegen is no different, just accept it. You have the same chance of getting your tent slashed as you do of getting your wallet stolen on a night out, when 70,000+ people are in a small area of coarse a few horror stories will come out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 really reilly

savage weekend was a bit of a wash out but hey how many times has that happened used to it by now. script and snow patrol were on top of their game .Expected a lot more from blur but played a lot of their newer stuff early and lost the crowd.Wallis bird in the hot press tent on sunday was savage she was made for it

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

Saul-Good wrote: »
    And clubbing, housing areas, on the bus, town at night, St. Patrick's day scumbags are everywhere man, Oxegen is no different, just accept it. You have the same chance of getting your tent slashed as you do of getting your wallet stolen on a night out, when 70,000+ people are in a small area of coarse a few horror stories will come out of it.

Yeah well that's what I mean, of course with that amount of people it's gonna happen, nothing anyone do about it but this business of 'nothing will happen ya if you stay outta trouble' is a bit stupid. Scumbags are everywhere, true, it just gets a bit annoying when you're surrounded by them for 4 days! Like I said though maybe we just got unlucky with our neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

phasers wrote: »
    Oh definitely, he thought that The Horrors knew how to put on a great show :pac:

Sure they cancelled, but it was still a great show!

Ah that must be what he snipped out of his post was it??
    haha

BTW that Bruno video was hilarious. I think I saw it before Bloc Party. lol it was funny

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭zodiak

best weekend ever.. just wouldnt have been the same without the mud.. never drank so much and slept so little but hey thats wha its about.. as for the fights in most cases if you didnt act like an asshole to other people you were fine.. few skags down there lookin for trouble tho.. already putting money away for next years drink and tickets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Were the pints in the main area €8 or €9 inc the glass. Two of us have a differance of opionion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Hey guys,had a great weekend. Got a massive,complete weekend review on http://tr.im/oxegen please check it out :D defo worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

maglite wrote: »
    Were the pints in the main area €8 or €9 inc the glass. Two of us have a differance of opionion.

€9, €6 for the pint and €3 for the glass!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

It was €6 a pint, with a €3 deposit on your first pint/cup. On return to the bar, you hand back the previously used cup for another pint (in a new cup) for €6, or you can get your €3 deposit refunded.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

keep it to PM if you want to know more - lordgoat

• Registered Users Posts: 36 harry92

does anyone know who the dj was on saturday night at the xbox live stage?? he was unbelievable. dying to know who it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

What time?

If it was 10-11, it was a lad called Lorcan Mak

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Excellent DJ, seen him a few times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Definately the best weekend ever, by far. Despite ending up with sunburn that's now blistery, and a throat infection, was awesome.

Saw doctors, The Script, Kings of Leon, The Coronas, The Killers, Bloc Party, Snow Patrol, Razorlight...

All fecking amazing, got right up to the barrier for Kings of Leon too, was pretty cool apart from the squishyness.

Lady GaGa was....interesting* performance? She's got some serious issues tbfh.

As for security...the seemed to get more lapse as the days went on. Girls weren't being frisked at all (illegal by males i know - but no female security?) and by Sunday, the male frisking was down to something resembling a hug and a pat on the arse. Bags weren't being searched, wristbands weren't even looked at...you could have got a day ticket and stayed camping for the weekend!

Some of the staff seemed like pure cocks, others couldn't have been nicer. Near the end of KoL (seeing as we were up pretty much at the barrier) when they started handing out water, asked one guy, he wasn't giving it out to anyone "Nope, all gone. Not a hope" while the guy beside him was giving it out infront of us in plain sight... just waited til the jackass fecked off and then nice guy
    gave us some.

Mud was pretty fun...granted, everything I brought got destroyed pretty much...wearing a white hoody = awesome idea :pac: especially as I got surrounded by a gang of mud covered randomers and persuaded into last day of oxegen hugs :D Was camping pretty close to the R5 meeting point and had no real trouble. Had some interesting stuff go on outside the tent at one point tho.

Really have to say fair play to all the staff / security / EMTs / etc - hardly an easy job for the time, especially considering the amount of people that went. Also MCD did make a fine job out of it with some class performances playing this year

First time going and certainly wont be my last

*the fúck was she doing?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement