Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil tank question

Options
  • 02-06-2009 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Now that we have the good weather I have turned of the central heating. Question: Can I turn of the tap at the tank without causing an airlock when starting up the system when next the chilly weather arrives.

Actually, another question: Can anyone tell me what the plastic conical shape holder which is located on the pipework i.e. the feedline from the tank into the house? It is located at the tank and seems to show the kerosene? Is this to stop airlocks? Can they leak and if so, are they easily replaced? Sorry more than one question, in the end.:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

suitseir wrote: »
    Now that we have the good weather I have turned of the central heating. Question: Can I turn of the tap at the tank without causing an airlock when starting up the system when next the chilly weather arrives.

You can provided that you don't have any leaks and that you remeber to open it again before you start the boiler

Actually, another question: Can anyone tell me what the plastic conical shape holder which is located on the pipework i.e. the feedline from the tank into the house? It is located at the tank and seems to show the kerosene? Is this to stop airlocks? Can they leak and if so, are they easily replaced? Sorry more than one question, in the end.:o

Probably the filter/water trap. Unusual for them to leak unless damaged. Easily replaced -- Heatmerchants etc would have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Thanks for that.

Back to my original question, is it ok for me to turn of the supply at the tank without enduring airlock to the boiler when switching it back on, hopefully, not until October.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Provided there's no leaks, yes. But why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Isnt it a good idea to leave your oil connected and give your heating an odd blast every now and again even thought the summer to keep damp out (on colder days even)?

Advertisement