Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiny MMS Pictures

• 02-06-2009 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭

Anytime I receive an MMS with a picture attached the picture is tiny. Usually between 1 - 10kb in size and no bigger than a thumbnail. The originals being sent can be anything from 50 - 600kb but are tiny when I receive them.

I'm using a Nokia 5800 on o2 atm but had the same problem with my previous phone, a HTC Touch Pro. I can send them fine and they arrive full size on the other end.

A bit of googling tells me that something needs to be updated in my profile by o2. I called them today but they said there is nothing they can do but to return the phone to the shop as it may be faulty. Sounds like a fob off to me.

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

kaizersoze wrote: »
    I called them today but they said there is nothing they can do but to return the phone to the shop as it may be faulty. Sounds like a fob off to me.

Sounds a bit daft, tbh.

I'm on a 6300 at the moment, so it may be slightly different to the 5800, but it's worth a try.

Go into messages-> Message Settings -> Multimedia messages.

See what the image size settings are, and what happens if you change them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

may also be if people sending them to you are sending them as a small image

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

try sending one to yourself to check if you receive it at full size

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Sounds a bit daft, tbh.

I'm on a 6300 at the moment, so it may be slightly different to the 5800, but it's worth a try.

Go into messages-> Message Settings -> Multimedia messages.

See what the image size settings are, and what happens if you change them.

Tried that earlier. That setting only for adjusting the size of images being sent.:(
    splinter wrote:
    may also be if people sending them to you are sending them as a small image

I checked a few of them and they're sending them as normal. They can also send to other people and no problem.
    try sending one to yourself to check if you receive it at full size
    Sent @ 446kb. Came back @ 9kb:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Sent @ 446kb. Came back @ 9kb:(

Try asking Daryll from O2. He's lurking around here somewhere.

Certainly sounds like something on O2's side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I'd add that a lot of handsets automatically resize MMS so that they are under 30KB, which may be what's causing the issue. In addition, the maximum file size for an MMS on the networks is 300KB, containing a video or image, so even if a picture is sent at 446KB, as per the recent example, a handset would generally resize it so that it's just under 300KB.

Advertisement