Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Tank in Attic is not refilling

Options
  • 02-06-2009 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Looking for a bit of advice.

The water suppy in the house has been acting up lately. I put this down to a reduced water supply due to the recent good weather since last week. The problem now is that my neighbours water is working fine but we have hardly any water at all. The only tap working is the cold tap in the kitchen and even that isn't great. I've been up to the attic and looked at the water tank, there is barely any water in it and the water is not refilling at all. The ballcock is just hanging down but no water is coming in.

Any ideas. ????????

Before I have to call a plumber........

If thats the case does anyone know a good plumber in Meath.

Comments

in my opinion, there is a bit of dirt/grit in the ball cock. just open it up and see if the water flows from the pipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 GalwayWest

Could be that the water pressure is too low to pump water into the attic - if the cold taps downstairs are low pressure then that is most likely the issue, your neighbours might still be getting water out of the hot taps if their usage is lower and thay havn't run out yet....

If thats the case theres nothing much a plumber can do until the pressure reverts back to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I would doubt its due to the dry spell! If you never had trouble like this before its most probably either dirt in the line or a leak in the line before it gets to the house. Do you have an outdoor tap connected straight to it? Try it if you do see if it works.

It could be low pressure but again this is something that would of happened before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Macker1 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Looking for a bit of advice.

The water suppy in the house has been acting up lately. I put this down to a reduced water supply due to the recent good weather since last week. The problem now is that my neighbours water is working fine but we have hardly any water at all. The only tap working is the cold tap in the kitchen and even that isn't great. I've been up to the attic and looked at the water tank, there is barely any water in it and the water is not refilling at all. The ballcock is just hanging down but no water is coming in.

Any ideas. ????????

Before I have to call a plumber........

If thats the case does anyone know a good plumber in Meath.

Are you sure the outside stopcock isn't partially closed? Does sound like there's a leak somewhere though, as even with a blockage if the kitchen tap works (just) then eventually water should get to the roof tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

Asked the wife to pick up a replacement Ballcock as shes out in Dublin at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Macker1 wrote: »
    Asked the wife to pick up a replacement Ballcock as shes out in Dublin at the moment.

You better make sure she gets a high pressure one and ask her to get nylon washers

Thanks for all the input so far.

I replaced the Ball-Cock in the watertank located in the attic but this had little or no effect. Upon talking to others in the area it would appear that the main water tank in the village is quite low due to the amount of water consumed over the recent spell of great weather. This has led to the pressure in the area being extremely low and as a result the attic tank in not getting a proper supply. As of today the cold water taps both downstairs and upstairs are working but nothing is coming out of the hot taps. It has been suggested that this may be the result of a Air Blockage. Does anyone know how to best go about resolving this issue if indeed it is a Air Blockage.

Any suggestions welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lpm

IF you have mixer taps open up the hot fully and then put your hand over the outlet very tight and then turn on the cold and let it push the air bubbles back into the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

lpm wrote: »
    IF you have mixer taps open up the hot fully and then put your hand over the outlet very tight and then turn on the cold and let it push the air bubbles back into the tank.

And if you don't have mixer taps cut a small piece of garden hose and jam it between both taps before turning on the working tap. This might be a two person job though!

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

lpm wrote: »

Yes, this works, it may take a few goes though so be patient....

• Advertisement

Folks,

Thansk for the advice.........

I have a mixer tap in the kitchen and the main bathroom whilst the rest are just you standard hot and cold. Do I need to do this downstairs in the kitchen or in all the effected outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lpm

You could be lucky and just have an airlock in the feed coming from the hot tank up stairs so I would try a mixer tap upstairs. IF you have no joy then try the mixer tap in your kitchen as there should be a good bit of pressure coming in from the feed from the road, as long as your comunial tank is full now:D

Well thanks to everyones advice it appears the problem is now resolved. I just had to block of the cold water when open on both the mixer taps and now everything is ok.

Thanks

(no need for plumber :eek:)

Advertisement