Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poitin for Medicinal Purposes

Options
  • 02-06-2009 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

I'm not sure if I am posting in the correct location but here goes. I was speaking to my uncle at the weekend, I haven't seen him for some time. He was telling me that he's in fairly good health but that he is crippled with Arthritis in both knees. He said he never really gets much relief. Anyway he told me that he used to rub Poitin into his joints years ago and it used to give him a lot of relief. But he can't get his hands on it anymore. The man hasn't taken a drink in over 60 years, he's a pioneer. But I am just wondering if anyone might know where I could get my hands on a drop. I know the Moderators may decide to ban me for this post but I'm willing to chance it to give an old man a bit of comfort.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Three different commercial poitíns are available from Celtic Whiskey. Link.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There is nothing special about poitin, so any alcohol will have a similar effect.

I know a lot about distilling and on distillation sites they have whole sections dedicated to mythology surrounding poitin/moonshine, there are some beauties.

I have developed a good ability for determining strength of spirits. I have never tasted a poitin which I thought was past 60%, I have tasted upto 95% measured with an alcoholometer. Most would be made in potstills which would take several distillations to get above that. Many think it is stronger since it usually tastes so vile, due to poor distillation or the wash had vinegar in it.

Everclear is a 95% alcohol in the US, I think the celtic whiskey store might also have high strength vodkas.

Dunno if regular rubbing alcohol would be suitable, I know the philipino shop in dun laoghaire opposite waters pub sells clear ethanol which should be denatured.

EDIT: I see the link above has 90%

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

No posts on or about illegal distillation please folks.

melon_collie, you could have PM'd one of us to discuss this if you had a concern :)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

rubadub wrote: »
    There is nothing special about poitin, so any alcohol will have a similar effect.

Nothing Special ya say ! well well no nothing special i mean its only the Water of LIFE ! Uisce Beatha !

Advertisement