Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How healthy is Natural Yoghurt??

• 02-06-2009 3:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Just a quick question. I've started eating fruit salads every morning, usually 1 Banana, 1 Pear, 1 large Orange and 1 kiwi. Sometimes some chopped pinapple. I generally throw a fist of porrage oats in and loads Natural Yoghurt. Mix it all up. Yum.

I'm loving it! In fact I'm loving it so much that i'm beginning to think it can't be good for me 'cause it tastes too good..!!

Is Natural Yoghurt a good choice in the morning? Is it a good food in general?

I know it probably seems like a daft question, but any opinions appreciated.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

its not a daft question at all.
    I dont have the answer but im sure someone will advise you shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pappukanghi

My only concern would be fat content. Read the label anyway and see what fat levels are and compare the different brands to get the one with the lowest.

Yoghurt is good, more digestable than milk.

I have full pint (half yoghurt and half water) blended with 2 strawberries, some honey when I come from work (with two scrambled eggs) before I go to gym an hour later.

If I miss it before work out (i take half a pint of chilled milk instead sometimes) I blend in my whey powder in it as post work out shake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Thanks very much guys.

I'll be sure and get the lowest fat one in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

moved to Nutrition and Diet :)

g'em wrote: »
    moved to Nutrition and Diet :)

That probably makes more sense.

Thanks.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Um..be careful of low-fat yogurts as they can have added sugar to compensate.

Make sure you check out calories, protein and carbs (sugar) details on the container.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

taconnol wrote: »
    Um..be careful of low-fat yogurts as they can have added sugar to compensate.

Anyone got any good recommendations for tasty low fat yogurt? I often find that the artificially sweet taste from some of them is not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Unless you're really trying to count calories I'd stay away from low fat. The whole low fat thing was a giant fad based on horribly poor research. The lactose is much more of a concern. You need fats to stay healthy, to make new cells. And low fat yogurt won't fill you up as much or for as long as it has a much higher GI.

Some regular natural yogurt with (no added sugar) tastes better, and would decrease the GI of your breakfast, especially if you're eating so much sugary fruits!

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    Unless you're really trying to count calories I'd stay away from low fat. The whole low fat thing was a giant fad based on horribly poor research. The lactose is much more of a concern. You need fats to stay healthy, to make new cells. And low fat yogurt won't fill you up as much or for as long as it has a much higher GI.

Some regular natural yogurt with (no added sugar) tastes better, and would decrease the GI of your breakfast, especially if you're eating so much sugary fruits!

Cheers,

I've no interest in counting calories! I'm 6ft 1" and 13.5 stone. (Bit of a belly to lose!)

Out of interest what fruits are low in sugar? Bananas?
    I assumed all fruit was great in the morning. Had four pieces this morning, Orange, Pear, Kiwi and Banana with a good few spoons of Nat Yoghurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Anyone got any good recommendations for tasty low fat yogurt? I often find that the artificially sweet taste from some of them is not worth it.
    Aldi do one in a big blue pot, I usually use it for cooking or making dips, but is great with some fruit chopped up in it too. Think it's 2% fat, no added sugar or sweetners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I found this website:
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/whatfruit.htm

which is interesting...didn't know kiwis were so high in sugar, they are kind of bitter! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Aye good link Malari. While fruit in general is great, all are not made the same. They've been selectively bred to be very sweet, and thus can have a lot of sugar in them. Not the worst in moderation, but can definitely be a problem if you're scoffing down bananas and kiwis under the illusion that "oooh this is so healthy".

Short story:

Bananas, kiwis, peaches, grapes etc... go easy on, they're quite sugary.

Strawberries (oddly), raspberries, blueberries, all berries really are fantastic really, citrus fruits especially grapefruits are also pretty good :)

Tip: Frozen berries can usually be gotten fairly cheap in supermarkets. A quick snack for me would be to microwave a small bowl of them for 30 secs to take the cold bite out of them and then cover them in yogurt. Or leave them frozen and grind them into a protein shake.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Tip: Frozen berries can usually be gotten fairly cheap in supermarkets. A quick snack for me would be to microwave a small bowl of them for 30 secs to take the cold bite out of them and then cover them in yogurt. Or leave them frozen and grind them into a protein shake.

Also good mixed in with porridge. I put the porridge in for 2 minutes, then add the berries and put it on for another minute.

Not the worst in moderation, but can definitely be a problem if you're scoffing down bananas and kiwis under the illusion that "oooh this is so healthy".

Oops.. Thats exactly what I have been doing..:o

Thanks for the pointers. I'll def be trying the frozen berries in my porrige!

Cheers guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

W123-80's wrote: »
    Oops.. Thats exactly what I have been doing..:o

I've been having a fruit'n'nut heavy muesli with natural yoghurt and every so often some strawbs or banana chopped over the top. Not a big bowl...about 3 heaped tablespoons of muesli. It may have a good bit of sugar with all the raisins but I figure it balances it out with the protein in nuts and the best thing is I don't even start to get hungry for at least 4 hours. I find if I have fruit only I will get hungry again in a couple of hours. I was also under the illusion that fruit must be better than cereal!

I suppose like everything it's all good in moderation :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I eat it with nuts, seeds and some dried berries.

Advertisement