Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor is useless!

Options
  • 02-06-2009 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Went for my first doc appointment there last Tuesday and he took some bloods. Of course I was expecting this to be some HCG test thingy. He told me I couldn't get my antenatal appointment sorted till the results were back this week. Grand.

So I rang just there to see what the story was and it was just a basic screening that was done, normal, apparently but he didn't tell me that. Then he denied flat out telling me that I had to wait for the results for the appointment! No I could have got the ball rolling there and then last Tuesday, told me I have to wait about 8 weeks for my first antenatal appointment, not even a scan, I could be 16 weeks at that stage, quite obviously showing at work and still not know what's going on with the baby and not be able to tell anyone. :mad:

Anyone else have any experience with antenatal appointments in Galway, how long does it take for them to get in contact after your doctor sends the letter (assuming the useless tool actually sends it)?

Any other advice / calming words would be greatly appreciated too!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

Dunno what it's like in Galway, but in Wicklow the doctor gave me the letter and I had to organise the antenatal appointment myself.

I was 19 weeks when I got my first appointment, and I booked the scan myself to spped things up also and was 19+5 when I got that.

I was attending an external clinic from Holles St.

Congrats on the pregnancy by the way hope all goes well for you I am due 13th this month :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I'm attending the clinic in Bray and won't have my first antenatal apointment until 22 weeks. I had to organise the appointment myself and the scan which I had at 20 weeks but have not even had my bloods taken yet! Bit ridiculous having to wait this long and thought it was because it was my third child but I know people that are on their first and have to wait just as long!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

I'm in Cork and my GP organised my first and 2nd hospital appointments when I first visited him. He contacted the hospital who sent out a letter with a date for a 12 week and 20 week appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭galwaygirleen

Heya im in Galway. I went public so once I went to the initial appointment with GP he did bloods and also did a pregnancy test reccommended a Consultant and I agreed. I have an underactive thyroid so he said he had to inform consultant endocrineologist to monitor me during pregnancy. I first got a letter for Obs for when I would be 16 weeks ! nearly died of shock.. with first baby 4 yrs ago it was scheduled for 12 weeks.

Went to see consultant for the thyroid in maternity unit run the same day as the diabetes and Gaffneys clinic and they told me I was being scanned. I was a lil surprised as I didnt expect it... I thought I was 10 weeks at that stage according to scan I was only 8 weeks. They then told me Id have to change Consultants so I wouldnt be dragged to different consultants every week.. so as Gaffneys was run the same day I had to go with her, didnt mind so much as I had to be changed to the fetal medicine unit on the last baby which she shares with Prof. Morrisson I think.

Sorry for the ramble but I was chatting to doc at being stunned that it would be 16 week stage for scan and first antenatal appointment he said this is now standard.

If you would like to put your mind at ease you can arrange a private scan yourself in Galway Clinic just ring their Ultra sound dept not too sure of the cost but imagine it to be 130 to 200 euro. Can also get one done in Castlebar too have seen it advertised in Galway Advertiser. I know the Regional dont do early scans unless you have complications they refused point blank really to do it.

Goodluck and hope you get on ok with appointments. If you are worried about the doc sending in the letter you can ring the appointments section in a week and see did they recieve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 mumof2maybe3

Hi Im in Galway too, my first consultants appointment was 19 weeks also. I think its the norm really. Expect long waits for your schedualed appointments, its not ideal but everyone is really nice:D Congratulations on your baby, time will fly so enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 markymark79

hey kitten, where is galway r you? would you consider Ballinasloe. It was voted the best maternity hospital in either 2007 or 08! I had my dd there in October 07 and found the staff brillant!! I had first appt and scan at 13 weeks.

Niamh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

I was about 19-20 weeks when i got my first apointment, thats seems to be the norm with everyone i know anyway.
    Try not to stress yourself out, sit back and enjoy being pregnant :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭KittenCaboodle

Ah ye're all so sweet! :)

I was mainly venting over the doctor not talking me through the process and having to ask on here.

Thanks everyone for your advice and experiences. I'm actually in the centre of the city markymark so I'll be sticking with the regional, but thanks for the suggestion, I didn't know that.

We've decided to book a 12 week scan privately as I'm not sure about my dates (irregular cycle)

I'm really considering changing my doctor now. I asked him about what foods to avoid and the eejit just shrugged, I even mentioned a couple I knew about and he looked at me blankly. (!)

Thank the Lord for the Internet and its lovely helpful inhabitants.

xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

Hiya Kitten,
    i understand your frustration, i was the same. In galway also, and got my scan at 19 wks. So I got a private one in the Galway clinic, it was €120 as far as i remember (6 months ago at 12 weeks - cant believe I am nearly there!)
    Any way I have had 5 scans in all due to complications - a bleed at 25 weeks - so really once there is any reason to keep an eye on you they really do and are lovely about it.
    I also was not pleased with my Gp - he was fine but like you I had to bring up even basic things that I think he should have told me, I mean part of his job is to filter through the masses of info and tell you what, in his experience, is important. Plus he shrugged when I mentioned any normal pg discomforts. I was not making idle chat I was looking for tips to minimize them. I found it difficult to change as he is a neighbour known to the family so i played the modesty card and asked for a female doctor - i'd urge you to change and be happy with your dr as it makes such a differance, and thats a good excuse if you need one.

Congrats on your pg!

Advertisement