Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideal Living Furniture, Airport Road

Options
  • 02-06-2009 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

First off, I'm a well known poster on Boards so I am not a troll. Any mod in the poker section will confirm my legitimacy.

I called to Ideal Living yesterday looking to buy two couches, a dining table and 6 chairs and also, a TV unit - all totaling to about €3,000. I was served by a heavy blonde woman (I found out later that she is the owners wife) and the result of that service is what has me posting here. I won't get into finer details but I called back in today to meet another member of the staff (who I had heard was excellent to deal with) as I found her to be very rude. By the way, I had two people with me yesterday and a different friend with me today and they were all of the exact same opinion. In fact, the man that was with me yesterday has just bought an apartment in the Elysian and on the strength of her attitude, he has said he would refuse to deal with them.

Anyway, I liked the stuff so I went back today and when I walked in, I met the other employee. She saw me talking to him and immediately rushed over and became very abusive. She told the employee to come away from me straight away. It was obviously very awkward for that poor guy and I actually felt bad that he was caught in the middle. He waited for her to leave and apologised for her piggish attitude - it was clearly not the first time he had to do this.

I don't think I've ever complained about the service in any establishment before but I felt that this service and treatment was so appalling, that the general public should be aware of it. I would urge anyone in the market for furniture to avoid them like the plague as you will most likely be treated in the same fashion. FWIW, I dealt with EZ-Living and I found them excellent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

interesting, I can't say I received treatment like you got but maybe that's because I didn't stay there long enough.
    I was in there looking for a mirror and I found the sales guy I was talking to to be pushy. I also felt some of their stuff was quite pricey and the quality wasn't great.
    You did the right thing and walk out with your money in your pocket by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭omerin

op your post makes no sense.

i have dealt twice with them, this week and on both occasions i have no real complaints. in fact the only slight complaint is that one of their sales people wasn't pushy enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭diego ribas

omerin wrote: »
    op your post makes no sense.

This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Flipper wrote: »
    First off, I'm a well known poster on Boards so I am not a troll. Any mod in the poker section will confirm my legitimacy.

I called to Ideal Living yesterday looking to buy two couches, a dining table and 6 chairs and also, a TV unit - all totaling to about €3,000. I was served by a heavy blonde woman (I found out later that she is the owners wife) and the result of that service is what has me posting here. I won't get into finer details but I called back in today to meet another member of the staff (who I had heard was excellent to deal with) as I found her to be very rude. By the way, I had two people with me yesterday and a different friend with me today and they were all of the exact same opinion. In fact, the man that was with me yesterday has just bought an apartment in the Elysian and on the strength of her attitude, he has said he would refuse to deal with them.

Anyway, I liked the stuff so I went back today and when I walked in, I met the other employee. She saw me talking to him and immediately rushed over and became very abusive. She told the employee to come away from me straight away. It was obviously very awkward for that poor guy and I actually felt bad that he was caught in the middle. He waited for her to leave and apologised for her piggish attitude - it was clearly not the first time he had to do this.

I don't think I've ever complained about the service in any establishment before but I felt that this service and treatment was so appalling, that the general public should be aware of it. I would urge anyone in the market for furniture to avoid them like the plague as you will most likely be treated in the same fashion. FWIW, I dealt with EZ-Living and I found them excellent.
    Do they also have an outlet up in Blackpool behind the McDonalds on the Mallow Road?

Had a terrible experience with another owners wife in there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Flipper

omerin and diego ribas, I'll clear up any discrepiency in my post if you'll point out what part isn't clear...

That's the same place kcb, about half way up the hill on the left. What was the story of your experience with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I'll clear up any discrepiency in my post if you'll point out what part isn't clear...

The part about a guy buying something in the Elysian

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I presume it means that he has more money than sense....

And the fact he would buy something cause it looks nice and stylish regardless of the price or level of service he gets?????

That's the same place kcb, about half way up the hill on the left. What was the story of your experience with them?

To make a long story short we had to deal with one of the most ignorant, uneducated and condescending saleswomen I have ever dealt with.

A faulty light which was replaced by them once, and also cost us in electrician fees each time, ended up in me quoting purchasers rights to the woman as she tried to con us into thinking that we were not entitled to our money back.

I wouldn't go near the place again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aibidh

Yes, I have met the same lady in the same retail store. What amazes me is that she is one of the owners and yet she does not appreciate good customers. When I was attempting to but almost all of the furniture for my apartment, I was trying my best to negotiate with the very pleasant staff. She wactually rang me and told me not to contact their shop looking for a better price. I was buying in excess of 10,000 Euro. I did not buy there at the time due to this lack of respect for a customer. That was last year when the celtic tiger was still roaring. I visit their two shop on occasions now, just to browse of course, and I smile to myself when I see how little customers they have and think she may be more appreciative of customers nowadays. Mindyou - previousd posts indicate that she has not learnt about customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

I've been in there once with my wife. I walked around 3 times and only saw one sales-person yapping away on the phone. We were the only ones in there, yet he didn't feel the need to walk up to us.

Which is a good thing anyway as I wouldn't have bought there, too pricey for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 mutul8

omerin and diego ribas, I'll clear up any discrepiency in my post if you'll point out what part isn't clear...

There is an Ideal Living in Blackpool retail park????? ?Are you sure? What hill are you on about man??

mutul8 wrote: »
    There is an Ideal Living in Blackpool retail park????? ?Are you sure? What hill are you on about man??

It goes up the side of McDonalds, off the Mallow Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 crowley1

I also had the "pleasure" of dealing with this woman and she is rude, ignorant and very condescending. Never again will I go into that shop. All the other staff are pleasant and friendly but she is a law unto herself. To say she is bad for business is an understatement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gleann

today i stumbled onto this site as i was browsing on line. i thought I was the only person who was subjected to the "owners wife " and her jaw dropping lack of people skills. I had spent a considerable amount of money in the store and returned to purchase other items, i requested John a salesman who i had previously dealt with, he was highly trained, informative and gave me excellent advice.,unfortunately i met a heavy set blonde woman, heavily made up, she informed me john was not the owner but she was the owners wife, i was of course willing to be served by her but the attitude was just amazing, she was unable to serve me as she was so busy barking orders at the staff. i would say to her good staff are hard to find i later returned when i discovered she would not be there. get rid of her as she is destroying the store.

gleann wrote: »
    today i stumbled onto this site as i was browsing on line. i thought I was the only person who was subjected to the "owners wife " and her jaw dropping lack of people skills. I had spent a considerable amount of money in the store and returned to purchase other items, i requested John a salesman who i had previously dealt with, he was highly trained, informative and gave me excellent advice.,unfortunately i met a heavy set blonde woman, heavily made up, she informed me john was not the owner but she was the owners wife, i was of course willing to be served by her but the attitude was just amazing, she was unable to serve me as she was so busy barking orders at the staff. i would say to her good staff are hard to find i later returned when i discovered she would not be there. get rid of her as she is destroying the store.
    i would certainly return to the store on condition she is gone shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rivendell

Wow! I had the same experience today - tried to purchase furniture to the value of €2,000 and I left the shop totally gobsmacked that the 'blonde' woman wouldn't give me the time of day. I wanted to be able to collect one chair from the store but she was having none of it. Was thinking about it later and rang to see if there was anything she could do and she rudely said no. I said business must be great to say you are turning down custom and she wouldn't entertain me at all. I've never come across some-one so bad mannered in a long time and so stupid! No-one in these recessionary times are that stupid are they? Can't see the place surviving as long as she is working in the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Hi Rivendell, Welcome to "boards".ie ;)

Incredible How you Flipper, gleann, Crowley1, Aibidh all had the same experience, managed to find this post
    and incredibly use the exact same wording and language in your posts

What are the odds eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Incredible How you Flipper, gleann, Crowley1, Aibidh all had the same experience, managed to find this post

What are the odds eh?

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!!!

I've had the same experience up there, the salesperson was excellent but when it came to agreeing a price she interfered and wouldn't budge. Fair enough it's her decision, so I took my money else where and got a deal I deemed to be fair.

Someone should ask to speak to the actual owner ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Can anybody who has bought from them tell us the companies registered number or name as Ideal Living Furniture is a trading name and has no record on the www.cro.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭rebelle

What are the odds eh?

Hey, whats this about? Is it that difficult to "manage to find" this post. Like yourself they're prob from Cork so reading the posts from this region.

Anyway, thankfully i've never been to this shop but a friend has and she too found this woman obnoxious, (hope this language is different).

She wanted to take a pic of something to show her husband and this was strictly forbidden.

The "blonde" lady has also threatened friends of mine on another occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

someone has a vendetta.... and plenty of email accounts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rivendell

I certainly don't have a vendatta. I just want to support a local store and buy furniture! It's that's simple. You have to experience this lady to believe it.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Three weeks ago I did the rounds of the furniture shops in Cork (groan..) and bought a couch in Ideal Living. No problem with me taking a pic either (and neither did any of the stores I visited).

The price was decent, got a few bob knocked off and i was impressed with the way their delivery folks sent me a text in advance and kept me up to date on the day of delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I bought stuff in this store but did not deal with the lady mentioned here. The stuff I purchased was good quality from what I could tell. The sales person I dealt with was pleasant & helpful.
    The original Ideal Living store is in Blackpool, from what I understand the guy who set it up was an ex-buyer with Caseys furniture. It would be a shame if a business went to the wall because of arrogance. Again I say I have not dealt with the lady in question & my experience with the store was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Rivendell wrote: »
    I certainly don't have a vendatta. I just want to support a local store and buy furniture! It's that's simple.
    You have to experience this lady to believe it.

Everytime you reply with a new account

GOD KILLS A KITTEN

cute_kitten.p.jpg

Please think of the Kittens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sorelegs

Has anyone else been on www.furniturebargains.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nutscrew

I bought from Ideal Living 6 red acrylic chairs and 3 have broken I paid €1200 for a table and 6 chairs, two and a half years on and 3 of the chairs have broken in half, when I went back to the shop to discuss it I was ran from the place and laughed at, they said all items have only a one year guarantee. Obvisouly their is a fault with the chairs if you cant sit on them without them snapping in half then they are not fit for purpose. My wife 8.5st broke one of the chairs. I would agree with some of the negative comments on the Lady in question. Its a trip to the courts now i am afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Yup Small Claims court their ass, shocking quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nutscrew

Yea thanks MunsterCycling, the process will be slow but it has to be done, they were all smiles when stuff was flying out the door but now things are slow we get the f**k off with your problems attitude. I will let you know how I get on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement