Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing chillis

Options
  • 02-06-2009 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    I'm growing Jalapenos in a window box at home, they are doing ok. But some of them just "fall over" and seem to have little/no root system. They are only about 2 inchs high right now.
    Any help/tips would be great!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Hi.
    I'm growing Jalapenos in a window box at home, they are doing ok. But some of them just "fall over" and seem to have little/no root system. They are only about 2 inchs high right now.
    Any help/tips would be great!

I started out with a propogator tray full of pepper seedlings,two months later i've about 10 left,the rest of them having fallen over or died.
    Now that the second set of leaves is finally starting to appear i went to prick a few of them out..it turns out it has much bigger roots than i thought,they're just very light and fibrous.
    Anyway,keep them out of high winds for a while and water them gently..they take an awfull long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Cheers. Have been growing them on a window cill indoors. Some are getting their second lot of leaves, some are only appearing now. Have to be patient I guess. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I planted my chilli seeds at the same time as my tomatoes and while the tomato plants are huge, the chilli plants are tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

aii, the chillis and pepper plants do take ages to start, the tomatoes grow so fast and tall so quickly. i grow a good few varities of them and the chillis are only now starting to get big, about 8 inches, some are still pretty small. the stem is still very soft so maybe some need a cane/ support. i treat them the same as tomatoes, pinch out the side shoots till they are about a foot tall, and then let them do their own thing. they dont need as much water as tomatoes, the less the hotter the chilli

ill post some pics of the ones at home asap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Have moved the chillis in pots, still only about 4 inch high but are growing more leaves. And aren't dying. :D

• Advertisement

4th june

040620091883.jpg

29th june

290620091965.jpg

lots have flowers on them now, so fruit should start growing soon too. i have 4 different varieties growing so looking forward to seeing the new ones like the red cherry chilli and purple beauty and sweet banana chilli

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

very impressive. mine are going along a similar track. very very slow, now they're flying along.

peppers were the same. few spurts of growth, very leafy, and in the past fortnight loads of baby peppers have appeared.

very good, they always do appear to be doing nothing for the first few months, from being sown in feb- may/june. then, they shoot up when the weather gets warm. i will post some more pics as one of them is growing to the size of a small tree!! :eek:

the jalapeno of course

Advertisement