Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7/N11 Newlands Cross & Arklow to Rathnew

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

That layout looks good but I'd say that'd be an extremely tight loop, much tighter than those troublesome ones on the Red Cow. Could see lorrys having problems there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Theres overground gas network equipment in the way of your new access paths to the south of the N7, mysterious. Would make it prohibitively expensive to build them for what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Looks like from the attached link that this job is out to tender.........

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=JUN119797

Good :D This is similar to the M17/18 one thats been out there. A prequal document.

Newlands Cross junction will be 3x3 mainline. Sorry Mysterious :(
    N7 Newlands Cross

• The provision of a grade-separated interchange at the junction of the N7 and the R113.

• The provision of approximately 1.8km of 3x3 lane dual carriageway on the N7 mainline.

• Widening of adjacent sections of the existing R113 Belgard and Fonthill Roads to accommodate the future provision of a Metro through the junction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

This is absurd.

We are the people and WE DECIDE, not the gob****e people who can''t plan things with our money. It is our money.This money should be used right. Otherwise, this government out now. I'm sick of this disrepect. It's not good enough.

This is just not acceptable.

Newlands Cross junction will be 3x3 mainline. Sorry Mysterious :(

Said whom.

I live in the real world and no one is going to stop me from stating what is right and what is common sense.

The guys who claim to think they decide have got it very wrong. Anyone who is acending in this reality will know exactly what I'm talking about. Power doesn't rule the planet like it used too.

Of course i could just sit here and be a sheep and accept the shepards decision on this matter.

I don't so dont be sorry for me or anyone Chris, its not going ahead as 3+3

Said the document I got from the NRA yesterday.

They do say in the same document that 85k cars use it too, just as confirmation of what was said a few pages ago.

With the carshowrooms gone. There is nothing stopping them from making it 4+4 and the traffic numbers already at peak for 3+3

Why the **** are they building a 3+3 road based on present traffic numbers.

Its out****ingrageous.. NRA. are just retarded. They prove it to themselves. The whole company is an outcry joke. They are joke and nothing but a joke. Still not good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ihatewallies

mysterious wrote: »
    Said whom.

I live in the real world and no one is going to stop me from stating what is right and what is common sense.

The guys who claim to think they decide have got it very wrong. Anyone who is acending in this reality will know exactly what I'm talking about. Power doesn't rule the planet like it used too.

Of course i could just sit here and be a sheep and accept the shepards decision on this matter.

I don't so dont be sorry for me or anyone Chris, its not going ahead as 3+3

how's life on Mars these days?

• Advertisement

With the carshowrooms gone. There is nothing stopping them from making it 4+4 and the traffic numbers already at peak for 3+3

Why the **** are they building a 3+3 road based on present traffic numbers.

Its out****ingrageous.. NRA. are just retarded. They prove it to themselves. The whole company is an outcry joke. They are joke and nothing but a joke. Still not good enough.

Mysterious, you seem to be obsessed with 4 x 4 for this section of road can you name any dual carriageway in the country that is 4 x 4, what is the distance from newlands cross to the red cow interchange? at a guess I'd say 1 mile. If you made the section from newlands cross to red cow 4 x 4 you would have the 3 x 3 nass dual carriageway becomming 4x4 for about a mile then reverting back to 3x3 beyond the red cow, not sure what difference that would make to the whole scheme of things unless I'm picking you up wrong?

As for you NRA comments......not sure how an individual member of the public would go about influencing their decisions but have you ever attended any of the oral hearings for any of the road projects? Or do you just prefer to type away anonymously on internet discussion forums where you hope an NRA person may be viewing and take on board your points/opinions?

Also I'm sure that there is potential to amend the scope of the works to include the 4 x 4 section as said above it is only a pre-qual tender.

I do agree that it might perhaps be a good idea to build it wide enough for 4x4 but only put 3x3 lanes on it for now. At least its futureproofed. Just make it wider than "just 3x3".

Also it doesnt say whether theres hard shoulder planned or not.

how's life on Mars these days?

It's warming up right now, and water will flow soon once the polar ice caps melt it will fill the canyon.;)

But of course we are talking about newlands cross, there is no such thing "I'm sorta like NASA now :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Mysterious, you seem to be obsessed with 4 x 4 for this section of road can you name any dual carriageway in the country that is 4 x 4,
    Section of the N25 between Douglas and the magic roundabout is 4 lanes each way.

Some of the M2 is D5M in Belfast.
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=54.616844,-5.921204&spn=0.000789,0.002017&t=h&z=19

There's the small matter of the M50 which will have 4 lanes each way from the M1 to Tallaght or Firhouse.

The existing N7 at Newlands cross has 3 all purpose lanes and a bus lane, i.e. 4 lanes each way on the mainline.

I do agree that it might perhaps be a good idea to build it wide enough for 4x4 but only put 3x3 lanes on it for now. At least its futureproofed. Just make it wider than "just 3x3".

Also it doesnt say whether theres hard shoulder planned or not.

This my point WHY CAN'T THEY...

Have we not learned.

When you build a road now, the road design/capacity should have at least a 20 year life span.

So the Traffic is almost 90,000 here at capacity. What happens in 20 years. We dig this up and put a lane in when it cost little to nothing NOW.

Have I ever talked about the significance of now?? Present tense, NOW, as in this moment. Can we get it right in this point in time. I MEAN NOW. not yesterday not tommorrow not 1990 not 1999.

Based on current traffic levels any new road should have a mandatory life span of 20 years no ****ing excuse. or otherwise. The current proposal is a heap of ****e.They have a large slot of land - the car show rooms which needs to be flattened and incoporated into the interchange.

I drew a map and managed to easily fit four lanes each way.

If its 3 lanes + HS either side, thats grand. Absolutely no need to have a HS over bridges so it could easily be filleted away for a fourth lane in the future. If its bare 3+3 its very short sighted; unless the NRA really do intend to finish the M7 along its own alignment.

This my point WHY CAN'T THEY...

Have we not learned.

When you build a road now, the road design/capacity should have at least a 20 year life span.

So the Traffic is almost 90,000 here at capacity. What happens in 20 years. We dig this up and put a lane in when it cost little to nothing NOW.

Have I ever talked about the significance of now?? Present tense, NOW, as in this moment. Can we get it right in this point in time. I MEAN NOW. not yesterday not tommorrow not 1990 not 1999.

Based on current traffic levels any new road should have a mandatory life span of 20 years no ****ing excuse. or otherwise. The current proposal is a heap of ****e.They have a large slot of land - the car show rooms which needs to be flattened and incoporated into the interchange.

I drew a map and managed to easily fit four lanes each way.

I still don't know what you are getting your boxers in a twist about? If we are in for a long drawn out recession/depression then who needs four lanes each way, traffic volumes will be actually dropping so maybe they (NRA) are just factoring this in to their 20year design horizon?

I still don't know what you are getting your boxers in a twist about? If we are in for a long drawn out recession/depression then who needs four lanes each way, traffic volumes will be actually dropping so maybe they (NRA) are just factoring this in to their 20year design horizon?
    Sure lets just be thick and stupid,

What would it cost to add another lane.

What would it cost to just leave it barred off, and have it there so we would never need to go near the bridge in 5 years.

Traffic is growing on this road.
    When alll the inter urbans are complete and the M50 is finished traffic, will reach if not rise above 100,000 a day. Not to mention how much City west is sprawling currenty. Rathcoole is now a growing suburb. The Naas bypass widening. Millenium business parks,etc. So i don't know why your defending bad planning. Recession is actually slowing down now.

The pont you seem to miss, is, it's mandortory to build any road with a 20 year prjoection life span. Its out of date already.

Look at the short sigthness of the M50. At least the had room to put in two extra lanes at the median.

This road bridge shoud have four running lanes and a HS. at max width.
    Btw the population of our country is still going. It gives no excuse for the NRA to build road's with no planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

Section of the N25 between Douglas and the magic roundabout is 4 lanes each way.

That's not exactly true. Eastbound there are 3 lanes going over the Magic Roundabout. Two lanes (from the Magic Roundabout) merge into the inside lane, which is essentially an auxillary lane. As it approaches the Douglas West junction there is a diverge lane for it and what was in the inside lane becomes the Douglas East diverge. So there are 4 lanes for about 500m. Going over Douglas there are two lanes eastbound.

Westbound there are two lanes going over Douglas. The Douglas merge lane joins these two lanes to form an auxillary lane running to the Magic Roundabout. The outer two lanes go over the Magic Roundabout and the diverge diverges into another lane towards the Magic Roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

That's not exactly true. Eastbound there are 3 lanes going over the Magic Roundabout. Two lanes (from the Magic Roundabout) merge into the inside lane, which is essentially an auxillary lane. As it approaches the Douglas West junction there is a diverge lane for it and what was in the inside lane becomes the Douglas East diverge. So there are 4 lanes for about 500m. Going over Douglas there are two lanes eastbound.

Westbound there are two lanes going over Douglas. The Douglas merge lane joins these two lanes to form an auxillary lane running to the Magic Roundabout. The outer two lanes go over the Magic Roundabout and the diverge diverges into another lane towards the Magic Roundabout.

:eek: Thats quite a mouthful

Rule of thumb folks...If you need a third lane on your DC then there never was room for you to move into this town/city in the first place

Adding a 4th lane doesnt really add much in terms of speed of journey. If anything it makes it more dangerous. M50 southbound toll section to junction 6 is a deathtrap for weaving in and out for instance. And when the road goes back to 2-3 lanes, again more deathtrap related activity.

• Advertisement

:eek: Thats quite a mouthful

Rule of thumb folks...If you need a third lane on your DC then there never was room for you to move into this town/city in the first place

Adding a 4th lane doesnt really add much in terms of speed of journey. If anything it makes it more dangerous. M50 southbound toll section to junction 6 is a deathtrap for weaving in and out for instance. And when the road goes back to 2-3 lanes, again more deathtrap related activity.

A 4th lane is not dangerous.......................................................................................................................................................................

Probably the most retarded thing ive ever hear on this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

A 4th lane is not dangerous..................................................................................................................................................
    Not on its own but...

When the lanes narrow into say 3, a la the M50 sounthbound towards the N81 junction it becomes (shall we say) "tricky"
    Probably the most retarded thing ive ever hear on this forum.

I dont appreciate the "retarded" comment, but i take it with a pinch of salt after reviewing other comments made by you mysterious.

oh God.......

Veryangryman, what is then, the most intellegent to say.

It's not only incorrect but it'a absaloute nonsense!. If you can prove me wrong, I'll back up on my response.

Veryangryman, It's the most stupid thing i've ever heard here. The only thing that is dangerous is the person driving the car. I apologise for my reaction, but... still..

If you think adding an extra lane, what is the point of having a motorway.

It's more dangerous to have a road with three lanes that is over trafficked, than having a road of 4 lanes that is undertraficked. I don't understand how you could say something so silly.

The only 'danger' problem extra lanes have is when the lane is removed, e.g. as is currently done at Ballymount with the outermost lane. A lane which is dropped by a lane drop at a junction is about as 'dangerous' as a fluffy kitten.

oh God.......

Veryangryman, what is then, the most intellegent to say.

It's not only incorrect but it'a absaloute nonsense!. If you can prove me wrong, I'll back up on my response.

Veryangryman, It's the most stupid thing i've ever heard here. The only thing that is dangerous is the person driving the car. I apologise for my reaction, but... still..

If you think adding an extra lane, what is the point of having a motorway.

It's more dangerous to have a road with three lanes that is over trafficked, than having a road of 4 lanes that is undertraficked. I don't understand how you could say something so silly.

Mysterious, what are your views/opinions/ideas based on? Your years of road design and traffic management experience?

Mysterious, what are your views/opinions/ideas based on? Your years of road design and traffic management experience?

Common sense.

Common sense.

Your abundance of 'common sense' is wasted on this forum, how the NRA / road design consultants could do with someone like you, have you ever considered offering your services, you could even generate some extra income during these difficult times:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Although I agree the 3+3 arrangement is regrettable, we gotta remember that the NRA never said they were going to provide 4+4 - it was us that said that. Let's keep in mind that as much as some of us would like to believe it, the NRA don't actually read threads like this!
    We are the people and WE DECIDE
    No, we absolutely don't mate! The NRA do. See above.
    Be careful about making this assumption. This thinking is called Predict and Provide and isn't appropriate in an urban or even semi-urban area, because of the phenomenon of induced traffic.
    Though one could argue that the strategic importance of the M7/M9 to Red Cow section of the N7 is so high that no traffic mitigation measure could ever be effective on it. We may be doomed to continually squeezing extra lanes in here for decades.

Finally, note the widening work to accommodate Metro West that the tender mentions. This means that MW will conflict with the exit and entrance ramps here. Not good. They really should just underground the thing, they have to dig up the whole site anyway.

I **think** this whole thing is being planned with MW in mind. I dont think any of it will need to be dug up when MW comes along.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Common sense.

83488.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement