Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What kind of shop does Blessington need?

• 02-06-2009 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

I was just wondering; people are always complaining about the selection of shops we have in Blessington. And that to get anything decent / on trend you would have to travel to Naas / Dublin.
    I'd love to start something.... madness I know the way things are. But think it would be a great adventure and achievement.
    What would ye like or what does blessington need?

In recent months the ladies fashion shop and the young girls clothes shop have both closed - were these just not offering great selections or just not needed full stop.

2 discount shops and 1 party accessories shop have opened and seem to do booming trade.

Is there anything more that can be brought to the table?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

A large convenience store or a large supermarket.

Also It could do with a nightclub(not sure if there already is one or not but i didn't notice) as I'd say it would make it a better tourist spot if it did.

**I Don't Live In Blessington, Theses are just Observations By someone who has past through/ stopped there a couple of times **

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭rightoldpickle

hey there hobochris,

A niteclub of sorts has opened recently - its a late disco bar attached to a pub. it has a very distint crowd that go to it (iykwim) - not sure that the location is there in blessington for another bar / club

as for supermarkets - there is a large Super Value and Dunnes Stores along with a average sized centra - all offering great opening hours (early /late)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I dont think we could use much more consumer shops in the town, we have all the necessities. I'd more so like to see a nitelink and a better link between Blessington and Naas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

What about a B&B or some kind of accommodation? I know it's not a shop, but the hotel closed a while back and there doesn't seem to be a replacement. Or maybe I've just not seen it?

I don't live there, just pass through now and again and thought it was something that was lacking in the town.

Avon Ri is fairly decent as far as accomodation goes, on a lovely location too.

• Advertisement

hiya convert, there is plenty of accommodation around the area. Avon Ri is a large resort with varying levels. Also plenty of B&B's both in and out of the town...

Voltwad, i agree with the nitelink, i have been onto Dublin Bus numerous times and they have no plans of extending the 65 to a nitelink. how often would you avail of this service on average?
    And as for the shuttle to Naas - would you be looking at day or night transport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I'm guessing some that are posting aren't from Blessington. There are plenty of B&B's around the area. Yes the downshire hotel closed but there is also Avon Ri which is within walking distance to the town.

Shop wise we have a supermarkets and convenience stores. Also we have a night club or sorts in the aptly named Plan B in the lakes (formerly o'conners for the old skoolers) pub.

Blessington has always been a strange place to do business. Just when a store everyone says "exactly whats needed" opens as soon as you go to venture in its closed as locals didn't support it.

The nitelink is always a contentous issue. Personally I'd like it and would use it although if your in a group a taxi from teh city center is doable and they don't complain anymore when being "dragged out" of the 2mile city center radius.

The one shop I'd personally like is a good sports shop that is actually a sports shop and not an urban wear shop ala champion sports. A good shop that does cycling gear and equipment, proper sports equipment etc...

hiya iregk,

i have thought in the past a sports shop would be great. especially given all the passing cycling trade. perhaps this is something that can be looked at.

as for locals not supporting local businesses i totally agree. its shocking how fast places close due to the lack of "promised" trade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Small tackle shop.

i have thought in the past a sports shop would be great. especially given all the passing cycling trade. perhaps this is something that can be looked at.

as for locals not supporting local businesses i totally agree. its shocking how fast places close due to the lack of "promised" trade!

Hey right.

I think the sports shop should be looked at. We did have one what, 3 years or so ago but it was essentially a football shop that sold jerseys, short and a couple of hoodies. I was thinking exactly what you responded. As a cyclist myself I naturally have the luxury of starting and finishing my trips in Blessington. The amount however that cycle through or drive up and start from our town would surely be worth a look.
    nipplenuts wrote: »
    Small tackle shop.

te he :D

Graham

• Advertisement

hiya convert, there is plenty of accommodation around the area. Avon Ri is a large resort with varying levels. Also plenty of B&B's both in and out of the town...

Voltwad, i agree with the nitelink, i have been onto Dublin Bus numerous times and they have no plans of extending the 65 to a nitelink. how often would you avail of this service on average?
    And as for the shuttle to Naas - would you be looking at day or night transport?

I would be a frequent user of the nitelink if it came our way, absolutely. Once a week at least. As for the shuttle bus to Naas, there's a town link that does Naas-Newbridge-Killcullen etc, its a shame it doesn't come our way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Local trade is one thing, but I'd be hard pressed to find anything I'd want in Blessington that I can't find cheaper in Dublin or Naas.

What we really need is a decent cafe to complement the Grange. The offerings in the others in the town are subpar at best. Sadly if you want to meet someone for a coffee in the town and the Grange is closed/packed to the rafters, your best alternative is a cup out of Centra and sit at the square, unless you want to hit the pubs.

Nevore wrote: »
    What we really need is a decent cafe to complement the Grange.

Well there is Caio Baby and Num Nums or how about the pure greasy spoon builders only please pleasure of the Courtyard*

*this one is sarcastic...

Ciao Baby has been closed for sometime, shame, their fry was half decent. I think Num Nums is gone too.

Starbucks anyone? :D

Voltwad wrote: »
    Ciao Baby has been closed for sometime.D

Actually funny enough a while ago I said to the wife that all the cardboard price signs were no longer in the window and it looked closed.

There was rumours about a starbucks and an o'briens opening about a year ago. No idea where that one went.

The same place the rumour of the cinema went ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

As long as we have Mick Dempsey's "Restaurant", we wil be ok!!

As long as we have Mick Dempsey's "Restaurant", we wil be ok!!

Hahaha indeed. Just take the chips quickly or they'll be eaten by the time you get them.

The Cinema, forgot all about that. That was opposite dunnes wasn't it. Also the new hotel beside dunnes doesn't seem to be going anywhere either.

iregk wrote: »
    Hahaha indeed. Just take the chips quickly or they'll be eaten by the time you get them.

But at least we can read the newspaper they come in while we wait/eat!!!

:D

Anyone else think the new town centre is rubbish?

• Advertisement

Yep!

Yep!
    Ah, not just me then :) Only thing I approve of is the Paddy Power's

I don't really mind it. It could be a bit better and looks way too over loaded with cars. No idea why they put parking there when there is a big parking aread just up from it and behind dunnes. Again though, the sweet shop didn't last, the pharmacy didn't last, ciao baby didn't last. we are left with a bookies, a cheap tack euro shop and a laundrette.

At least lemon tree isn't too bad.

Anyone remember the old candy store? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 jor199

A friend of mine is thinking of opening an Angel/Holsitic Shop & Treatment room in the area. There is a need for that type of shop in general but not sure if it will take off in Blessington.

Bad?

Spotlessly clean, great service, reasonable prices......

Bad?

Spotlessly clean, great service, reasonable prices......

I agree. Hence why I said its not too bad. I didn't say it WAS bad!! :)

jor199 wrote: »
    A friend of mine is thinking of opening an Angel/Holsitic Shop & Treatment room in the area. There is a need for that type of shop in general but not sure if it will take off in Blessington.

I think that kind of shop is make or break anywhere, not just Blessington.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bcw

I don't really mind it. It could be a bit better and looks way too over loaded with cars. No idea why they put parking there when there is a big parking aread just up from it and behind dunnes. Again though, the sweet shop didn't last, the pharmacy didn't last, ciao baby didn't last. we are left with a bookies, a cheap tack euro shop and a laundrette.

i love the Lemon Tree Restaurant, it do great, ive been there few times, very happy there's a good restaurant in my area! hope they will keep it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

Anyone remember the old candy store? :)

Yeah, used to be the only place in Blessington I could buy cigarettes in no problem when I was only 13!:eek: Plus cough sweets etc.

That brings back memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

I don't think Blessington needs any type of shop that it doesn't have already. I'd echo the wish for a nitelink service but I can't see it happening. Don't spend a huge amount of time in the town these days, but I can't see how it could sustain many new outlets.

Well hopefully now that they have given up the ghost on a new hotel and turned it into a carpark the stores along the side of Dunnes will get more visibility. The problem was with the wooden boards you could never see them. They may see succeed now that people can see into them.

so I think most are in agreement then that there is no retail outlet really "required" in Blessington but that a late night bus service from Dublin City Centre would be a great addition?

For those that would avail of it how often would you use it?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

Well hopefully now that they have given up the ghost on a new hotel and turned it into a carpark the stores along the side of Dunnes will get more visibility. The problem was with the wooden boards you could never see them. They may see succeed now that people can see into them.

I'd have to agree with that. It might lead to some less stupid parking down the one way section. The area down by Dunnes is now a lot nicer to walk around with the hoarding down.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 jitter

I think the sports shop should be looked at. We did have one what, 3 years or so ago but it was essentially a football shop that sold jerseys, short and a couple of hoodies.

I agree I'd love a local sports shop, I dont remember having one a few years ago, where about in the town was it???

Can't believe it turned out to be yet ANOTHER Dunnes car park instead of a cinema and Mcdonalds and whatever else!

But yeah, I agree, a nitelink from Dublin would be a lifesaver. As it is I cant go out in Dublin unless I'm staying over with friends and so am usually stuck with going on in Plan B. Yawn.

Plan b, so appropriately named. hate the kip. I heard off a very reliable source that Super Valu's Euroland is to become a bakery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

The euroland place does have a sign up saying it's moving to the back of super valu.

Hopefully it's a nice bakery and everyone will have lovely buns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Here here for lovely buns!

After having a think about it, the only place that I visit in Blessington that I can't replace easily/conveniently is the Silver Ring. If local politics wasn't such a joke I'd be thinking of ways to turn the town into a sort of artisan location.

So many people work outside the town that general goods, groceries, sports goods nearly anything else are going to be as easily bought on your break in town or naas.

People travel from all over to the Ring though, and would for other artisany stuff I'd imagine.

Plan b, so appropriately named. hate the kip. I heard off a very reliable source that Super Valu's Euroland is to become a bakery

that would be brilliant!
    a bakery would be perfect! - any idea on timelines?

back of supervalue?? in the carpark like?

• Advertisement

That's great.... best of luck and we'll be in to see you soon Jenny.

Good stuff Jenny. Tell me, do you sell any cycling gear at all? Maybe something to look at. As a cyclist myself Blessington is a huge cycling spot. Go up to the town on a saturday or sunday morning and the amount of cars parking and taking bikes off the back to go aournd the hills and lake.

I know I'd frequent a shop that sold cycling gear, providing it was priced sensibly of course :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,221 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The Cinema, forgot all about that. That was opposite dunnes wasn't it. Also the new hotel beside dunnes doesn't seem to be going anywhere either.
    They're my chips Mrs Dempsey....MINE!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,221 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

yes i think it is a disaster, Kevin Myers wrote a great article on it a few years back, on how there was no regard for the history/architecture of the town in the new designs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

How about a Head shop? You can have one (or all) of our three here in Enniscorthy. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

How about a Head shop? You can have one (or all) of our three here in Enniscorthy. :D

No but thanks for the offer anyway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

I think 'little willie' O'Dea said there was a brothel in Blessington - No sorry that was Limerick - Sorry!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

juuge wrote: »
    I think 'little willie' O'Dea said there was a brothel in Blessington - No sorry that was Limerick - Sorry!:)

Well now that you mention it, I suppose we could do with one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Thumbs up for the head shop ... it will keep the drug dealers from getting rich + the government will get their cut so its a way of getting us out of this Recession...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Small tackle shop.

Big tackle shop1

• Advertisement
Advertisement