Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulmers Announce 10% reduction on their Pint Bottle of Cider

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Its about time they reduced their prices.
    I don't drink the stuff myself but it's a ridiculous price in a pub. Even with a 10% reduction its still too expensive IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

why buy a pint bottle? if i want a pint of bulmers, ill get a pint of draught for roughly 4€, why pay more??

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Lets hope for 10% less diarrhea from their Pear Cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

In the report it says 'The price cut is expected to hit C&C’s revenues on Bulmers although this is not expected to be material to the group'

What a load of rubbish, just trying to make us feel sorry for them ... sales of Bulmers have been seriously falling over the last fwe year so they are just trying to entice people to buy again ... so if they sell more by reducing price they will increase over all sales and revenue ... but as people have already said it is still over priced. 6 pack of 33cl magners in an offlicence in the north £3 6 pack of Bulmers here €10.99 bloody disgrace.

What gets me is they will not come out with a decent dry cider ...instead all we get is the sweet crap they flog as Premium cider :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

slayerking wrote: »
    Its about time they reduced their prices.
    I don't drink the stuff myself but it's a ridiculous price in a pub. Even with a 10% reduction its still too expensive IMO.
    I totally agree, but publicans would have a lot to do with the price for a pint bottle/
    Max Power1 wrote: »
    why buy a pint bottle? if i want a pint of bulmers, ill get a pint of draught for roughly 4€, why pay more??
    A pint glass with ice and a large bottle, can't beat it. I'd like to know where you are paying €4 a pint?
    In the report it says 'The price cut is expected to hit C&C’s revenues on Bulmers although this is not expected to be material to the group'

What a load of rubbish, just trying to make us feel sorry for them ... sales of Bulmers have been seriously falling over the last fwe year so they are just trying to entice people to buy again ... so if they sell more by reducing price they will increase over all sales and revenue ... but as people have already said it is still over priced. 6 pack of 33cl magners in an offlicence in the north £3 6 pack of Bulmers here €10.99 bloody disgrace.

What gets me is they will not come out with a decent dry cider ...instead all we get is the sweet crap they flog as Premium cider :mad:

I can't understand it either, with sales of bulmers (magners) in parts of Europe & Austraila there sales have to be up. Different vat rate and excise duties in the UK would be part of the reason for the difference in price.

IMO dry cider is like vinegar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

As one involved in the export of Bulmers, I can confirm that sales have been disasterous for two summers now. Pear is going well so far and weather permitting this could be a good year. The introduction of a strong marketing campaign from a scots rival has also knocked things a little in the biggest market(uk) but really its been the weather and maybe a product life cycle which hit it's peak in 2006 and is now in decline. How anyone can drink six pints of the stuff is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Ill be interested to see if the LVA , and their merry cartel decide to pass this 10% on.

My guess is they won't.

However in weather like the last week , you really cannot beat a bottle of Bulmers and a pint of ice.

It is horribly sweet on it's own , but the ice takes the edge off it somehow .

How anyone can drink six pints of the stuff is beyond me.
    Easy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Max Power1 wrote: »
    The ice as mentioned. This effectively turns it into a "longer" drink, many people I see do it in 2-3pours, it is rare to get a full pint in a pub, bulmers is one more likely too though as it can be poured without a head (used to drive me mad seeing barmen actually tip out a full bulmers and proceed to put a "head" on it that would last 2 seconds, idiots)

Bulmers pricing has always been an odd one. The duty went up a few years back on cider but the real problem has always been that it was available in 330ml & 568ml bottles, this really seems to confuse people. Pubs have always gotten away with utter murder when it comes to longnecks, I brought this up many times before like here.

I have mates who get irate if you tell them how much a longneck costs in pint terms. e.g. a 330ml heineken at €5.50 is €9.46 per pint!

Now traditionally the pubs have always raped people on longnecks, a lot of places charge more for a longneck than a pint. Usually a pint of bulmers is the most expensive pint in pubs who only stock the mainstream bud, heineken etc (not erdinger, budvar etc). So if they follow the normal pricing a pint of bulmers might be €4.80, then their longneck might be €5.00, but then where does this leave the pint bottle? it is 1.72 times more than a longneck so should be €8.60 if priced like a longneck per ml. It really exposes the blatant & bizarrely accepted overpricing of longnecks. It is a real pet hate of mine, like the emperors new clothes.

I have seen people really confused about it and actually try and use this comparison to justify the price, like saying "€6.00 a bottle is really cheap, its almost like 2 longnecks":rolleyes:

Plenty of places charge huge amounts.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055396230
    Paid €6.50 for a pint bottle of bulmers in the Church on Jervis street
    6:50 for a pint bottle of bulmers in eamonn dorans.
    was in Messrs McGuires and was given a receipt back with my change. Had a look at it and saw that a pint bottle of bulmers on it was €7.90!!!
    in some pub in Athlone(can't remember name now) that a pint bottle of Bulmers was €7.90

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bulmers Announce 10% reduction on their Pint Bottle of Cider

isn't that just a half litre ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

isn't that just a half litre ?
    Ha ha ha ha! The sly feckers...

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

keep in mind bottles are often more per ml than draught because of the cost of storing and sorting of the bottles for recycling.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

lmtduffy wrote: »
    keep in mind bottles are often more per ml than draught because of the cost of storing and sorting of the bottles for recycling.
    Thanks

I had always wondered why soft drinks always cost far more than alcoholic ones, there was me thinking it had something to do with publicans seriously taking the piss.

Thanks

I had always wondered why soft drinks always cost far more than alcoholic ones, there was me thinking it had something to do with publicans seriously taking the piss.

Id say there is an element, as they are complements.

Just consider the nasty that is sorting through bottle skips and the price is slightly more bearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

I saw the letter they sent out. Laughable really, looking for sympathy and all.

I don't "get" the concept of a pint bottle, is there really that much of a difference between draught and it tastewise?

toiletduck wrote: »
    is there really that much of a difference between draught and it tastewise?
    As mentioned above, you can serve the bottled version over ice. Making it colder means you don't have to taste it. Another win for people who don't like the taste of drink.

BeerNut wrote: »
    As mentioned above, you can serve the bottled version over ice. Making it colder means you don't have to taste it. Another win for people who don't like the taste of drink.

:D Is that it though?! In a pub I worked in a few years ago, the cider drinkers would usually go for a pint of draught with a side glass full of ice. /recession tip for above mentioned peoples

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

toiletduck wrote: »
    I saw the letter they sent out. Laughable really, looking for sympathy and all.

I don't "get" the concept of a pint bottle, is there really that much of a difference between draught and it tastewise?

One reason people prefer is, you know what your getting from a bottle. With draft stuff it can vary from pub to pub depending on their pints. Then there's the pouring your own in to a pint glass with ice, makes you thing there's more of it :) It just sounds messier with a draft pint and ice on the side.

Thanks

More then taking the piss I'd say, I paid €2.80 for a spash of coke from a minging syrup machine in a pub on Sunday night, I think it should be classed as extortion. :mad:

ronaneire wrote: »
    I paid €2.80 for a spash of coke from a minging syrup machine in a pub on Sunday night
    Yikes! Though is it better if it comes from a minging syrup machine on the Naas Road?

• Advertisement

This tirade is not aimed at you lmtduffy ;)

But that is more rubbish from the Vintners trade trying to justify the bull on pricing. We are being totally ripped off and the pub trade is dying on it's feet yet they will not tackle the one reason that people are not going to the pup as often as they did ... pricing :rolleyes: ... idiots ... how can you feel sorry for a trade like that.

I used to work in a night club when I was a lad and 2 people could sort a whole raft of bottles in the bottle yard in an hour. So the extra labour is minimal in the big scheme of things. Soft drink mixers cost pittance and they is at least a 10 fold mark up on them. A vodka & Coke should cost the same as a pint or close to it.

Next put 1 Keg (88pints) beside 4 boxes of stacked beer x 24 bottles (96 beers) . Where is the major space difference, I actually think the keg may take up more space and is much heavier so a bigger effort in moving from yard to keg room. You have to provide fridges for bottles of beer but you have to have a whole spare room (basement) with coolers, gas canisters pipes with draught. Which is easier to manage tell me.

So where is all the extra work coming from ... oh yea I'll give the getting rid of the boxes a bit of an extra there. There may be a cost in getting rid of the packaging but a smart manager should be able to recycle for free.

The Vintners Association :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

On draught cider, I was told by a publican once that the lines are really difficult to keep clean because they get really sticky.

But that is more rubbish from the Vintners trade trying to justify the bull on pricing. We are being totally ripped off and the pub trade is dying on it's feet yet they will not tackle the one reason that people are not going to the pup as often as they did ... pricing :rolleyes: ... idiots ... how can you feel sorry for a trade like that.

I used to work in a night club when I was a lad and 2 people could sort a whole raft of bottles in the bottle yard in an hour. So the extra labour is minimal in the big scheme of things. Soft drink mixers cost pittance and they is at least a 10 fold mark up on them. A vodka & Coke should cost the same as a pint or close to it.

Next put 1 Keg (88pints) beside 4 boxes of stacked beer x 24 bottles (96 beers) . Where is the major space difference, I actually think the keg may take up more space and is much heavier so a bigger effort in moving from yard to keg room. You have to provide fridges for bottles of beer but you have to have a whole spare room (basement) with coolers, gas canisters pipes with draught. Which is easier to manage tell me.

So where is all the extra work coming from ... oh yea I'll give the getting rid of the boxes a bit of an extra there. There may be a cost in getting rid of the packaging but a smart manager should be able to recycle for free.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Making it colder means you don't have to taste it. Another win for people who don't like the taste of drink.
    And there are many many people who do not like the taste of booze. Bulmers is very like cidona and many people like ice in their soft drinks. It also dilutes it so means there is more to drink, it is popular on sunny days, if it is daytime and people are only having one or 2 drinks you often see people drinking them more. It will not have as much of a dehydrating effect if taking in more water. Of course you can just drink a glass of water every so often but the macho men are more scared of water than even diet drinks. Getting your water is a sneaky way around the machoness, just like pepsi max or coke zero are for real men, none of that poncy diet stuff;)
    Mantel wrote: »
    One reason people prefer is, you know what your getting from a bottle. With draft stuff it can vary from pub to pub depending on their pints. Then there's the pouring your own in to a pint glass with ice, makes you thing there's more of it :) It just sounds messier with a draft pint and ice on the side.
    Never saw ice on the side, you would have to drink a bit and then stick ice in, would be messy. Some will moan about unclean pipes and then go stick a ice cube in made with dirty water handled by the piss drenched hand of a barman :)

Davidth88 wrote: »
    On draught cider, I was told by a publican once that the lines are really difficult to keep clean because they get really sticky.

Publicans don't clean these anymore, they are done by a contracted company on behalf of the brewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Next put 1 Keg (88pints) beside 4 boxes of stacked beer x 24 bottles (96 beers) .

How many pints are in a beer? If it's 330ml bottles then it's

50 (roughly) litres (keg) compaired to 31.5 litres (bottles) even with 500ml bottles it's 48 litres, only a litre or two in the difference though :)

Actually, do the suppliers take back the bottles like the kegs or do the pubs have to get rid of them on their own?

No I agree completely they are taking the piss, but bottles are more labour intensive than kegs when it comes to storing,moving, serving and disposing.

And bottles take up space behind the bar and need to be brought from the cold/store room to the bar, they need to be restocked quiet often too if you wan to keep the fridges full as well as being sorted for recycling and yeh its easy to get through one in an hour with two people, but a lot of paces may have up to and over 10 to do after a Saturday night.
    And regardless if a manager can get things recycled for free your still paying for someone to get the bottles form cold room to bar, bar to where ever you sort them and then to sort them by hand into there respective crates which also have to be stored until some one comes to take them.

Kegs are brought to the one place and can be changed there and removed from there.

Mantel wrote: »
    Actually, do the suppliers take back the bottles like the kegs or do the pubs have to get rid of them on their own?

Depends on which bottles your talking about. For the sake of this thread, Bulmers do take them back.

but bottles are more labour intensive than kegs when it comes to storing,moving, serving and disposing.
    It sickens me being in rounds with bottle drinkers. In town I find the average is €5 for a pint of heineken and €5.20 for a bottle, that is €8.95 per pint. There is no way the additional overheads of serving drink in a bottle would cost €3.95 more.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    It sickens me being in rounds with bottle drinkers. In town I find the average is €5 for a pint of heineken and €5.20 for a bottle, that is €8.95 per pint. There is no way the additional overheads of serving drink in a bottle would cost €3.95 more.

I agree, but it wont cost the same.

Advertisement