Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulmers Announce 10% reduction on their Pint Bottle of Cider

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

With regards to getting a draught pint of bulmers and then a side glass of ice, the UK Bulmers company do an oversized pint glass that has a line indicating a pint. So you get a full pint and then there's room for the barkeeper to add ice. Should bring them out for the Irish Bulmers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

ronaneire wrote: »

A pint glass with ice and a large bottle, can't beat it. I'd like to know where you are paying €4 a pint?

Fibber Magees in dublin.. i got charged €8 for 2 pints of bulmers recently. Im more of a snakebite drinker though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

BeerNut wrote: »
    As mentioned above, you can serve the bottled version over ice. Making it colder means you don't have to taste it. Another win for people who don't like the taste of drink.
    You mean making it colder makes it more appealing on a hot day. Look at bulmers sales, it goes up during good summers and right down during bad ones. Nothing wrong with wanting a cold drink on a nice day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Quint wrote: »
    You mean making it colder makes it more appealing on a hot day.
    Nope. No matter how hot it gets, your tastebuds remain active.
    Nothing wrong with wanting a cold drink on a nice day.
    Nothing indeed. But drinks that don't have to be served at tongue-numbingly low temperatures in order to suppress the drinker's gag reflex aren't so subject to seasonal variations.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Nope. No matter how hot it gets, your tastebuds remain active.

Nothing indeed. But drinks that don't have to be served at tongue-numbingly low temperatures in order to suppress the drinker's gag reflex aren't so subject to seasonal variations.

Not sure what you mean with your first point.
    But drinking a pint of bulmers with ice outside on a hot day is a much nicer experience than without ice. It stays cold with the ice in it. any other drink is warm half way through. Obviously a drink doesn't have to be cold on a hot day, but for most people it's a better option to a warm one. I know bland beer appeal to the masses, but i don't think anyone actually puts ice in bulmers on a hot day to surpress their gag reflexes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

rubadub wrote: »
    In town I find the average is €5 for a pint of heineken and €5.20 for a bottle, that is €8.95 per pint. There is no way the additional overheads of serving drink in a bottle would cost €3.95 more.

What town?

Go west and get cans of bulmers for 3 euros odd. granted you are missing the magic 68ml, and a can isn't as nice as a large bottle but definitely nicer than draught bulmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Can i just point out to patrons, that the Bulmers price reduction does not extend to off licences. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

€5.40 a bottle in 2 different pubs in Dublin 8 and €4.60 a pint. Has been the same for a long time. When does this reduction come into effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

€5.40 a bottle in 2 different pubs in Dublin 8 and €4.60 a pint. Has been the same for a long time. When does this reduction come into effect?

The publicans are meant to be passing it on now. But how many have?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

grenache wrote: »
    Can i just point out to patrons, that the Bulmers price reduction does not extend to off licences. Thank you.

Surely pubs and offies buy their Bulmer's stock from the same wholesalers at the same price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What town?
    Have a wild guess :rolleyes: this feigning ignorance to attempt to make a point is tiring.

When I said pint I meant imperial pint too, i.e. 568ml, not the smaller US pint.
    Surely pubs and offies buy their Bulmer's stock from the same wholesalers at the same price?
    I would have thought so too, perhaps he owns an offie and wants to keep the price the same! No mention of it just being pubs here
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2009/0527/1224247501927.html

The manager in my local says he gets vodka in the cash & carry. Dunno if he does all the time, I thought it very strange, we replaced a bottle he "loaned" us once, and asked what we paid in tesco and said it was cheaper he gets it!

The manager in my local says he gets vodka in the cash & carry. Dunno if he does all the time, I thought it very strange, we replaced a bottle he "loaned" us once, and asked what we paid in tesco and said it was cheaper he gets it!

Yeah, it's true. I was having a party, so we were getting loads of spirits. Went to Musgraves to get them with my mate (owns a pub) thinking it's be dirt cheap. We ended up getting nothing, Tesco and most supermarkets were cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

Yes but the point is reading the info it seems they have reduced it by 10c across the board, so whether it be from C&C or the wholesaler they should be 10c less if they do pass it on. Many factories do not want to deal direct and will guide you towards distributors who are often cheaper, I find this all the time in my work.

The way the other poster was talking it was like C&C or musgraves or whatever wholesalers would be questioning you if it was going to be sold in a pub or offie, and only drop the 10c on pub sales.

Some do yes. But why the off licences be reducing their price on Bulmers when they're not the ones ripping consumers off. The pubs are. The off licence trade, although not as healthy as it was last year, is still in good shape. The pubs on the other hand need to see numbers coming in their door increasing, hence the price reduction only applying to pubs. NOFLA has said its members will not pass on the reduction. And no, i do not own an off licence, i just work in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

10% isn't a lot - but you can't beat their longterm marketing

I was one of the kids who grew up on Cidona and loved it

Now I drink Bulmers :)

That's marketing!!!

But why the off licences be reducing their price on Bulmers
    Because bulmers reduced the price to them with the intention of it being passed onto the customer, what do you not get about that? Bulmers is very expensive in offies, esp. the pint bottles.
    hence the price reduction only applying to pubs.
    You say that like it is a logical fact, have bulmers specifically advised offies not to pass on the savings?
    NOFLA has said its members will not pass on the reduction
    So in effect they have told members to increase the price by 10c (or whatever amount you want to calculate), pretty poor form, esp. when there is a full TV ad campaign which will expose what they are up to. Same they never advise their members not to pass on increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

10% isn't a lot - but you can't beat their longterm marketing

Its not, but considering how overpriced it is in the first place, then its a lot, 50 or 60 p is still a saving, and will largely be seen as a positive marketing exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Some do yes. But why the off licences be reducing their price on Bulmers when they're not the ones ripping consumers off. The pubs are. The off licence trade, although not as healthy as it was last year, is still in good shape. The pubs on the other hand need to see numbers coming in their door increasing, hence the price reduction only applying to pubs. NOFLA has said its members will not pass on the reduction. And no, i do not own an off licence, i just work in one.

Generally, the retail price of a product is calculated from the cost price.
    Most offies have around a 25% profit margin.
    If the cost price is reduced, then the retail price should reduce too.

However, in reality, the price of something is somewhere between the cost price and what people are willing to pay for it (usually closer to the latter) plus VAT.
    (unless you are a supermarket in which case the price might be below cost!)
    Now I'm confused!

In this economic climate, I think it is foolish of NOFLA to take this stance.
    "we weren't the ones ripping people off....."
    well, now you are!

gucci wrote: »
    Its not, but considering how overpriced it is in the first place, then its a lot, 50 or 60 p is still a saving, and will largely be seen as a positive marketing exercise.
    I kept thinking it was 10cent not 10%, I think I am used to hearing brewries putting up a pint by 10cent, never mentioning %.

I don't think it will be 50-60cent, it sounds like bulmers are decreasing the price to the buyers by 10%, there is no way they are paying €5 per bottle.

It will be interesting to see what they do reduce it by, which would reveal the price bulmers actually charge. If they only reduce it by 5cent and claim to be fully passing on the saving, then they are really saying "we buy this stuff for next to nothing and charge you a fortune, a 10% reduction in what we pay is feck all as it is so cheap for us to buy".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tippguy

my local off licence sells 3 large bottles of bulmers/bulmers pear 3 for €8 with a small bumers sign saying 10% price cut. 2 weeks ago it was 4 for €12 so not all offies are excluded from this cut. although their a can was still €2.35 and a six pack €10.99

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I kept thinking it was 10cent not 10%, I think I am used to hearing brewries putting up a pint by 10cent, never mentioning %.

I don't think it will be 50-60cent, it sounds like bulmers are decreasing the price to the buyers by 10%, there is no way they are paying €5 per bottle.

It will be interesting to see what they do reduce it by, which would reveal the price bulmers actually charge. If they only reduce it by 5cent and claim to be fully passing on the saving, then they are really saying "we buy this stuff for next to nothing and charge you a fortune, a 10% reduction in what we pay is feck all as it is so cheap for us to buy".

The company I work for has reduced the price by 6.5% of the sale price. They reduced the price of draught cider and longneck bottles too for some reason. It's a start, but they're still ripping people off. Although it is possible our supplier didn't fully pass on the reduction.

Because bulmers reduced the price to them with the intention of it being passed onto the customer, what do you not get about that? Bulmers is very expensive in offies, esp. the pint bottles.

You say that like it is a logical fact, have bulmers specifically advised offies not to pass on the savings?.
    Read the ad, its says the price is being reduced in your local i.e. your local pub. It says nowhere about it applying to off licences.

So in effect they have told members to increase the price by 10c (or whatever amount you want to calculate), pretty poor form, esp. when there is a full TV ad campaign which will expose what they are up to. Same they never advise their members not to pass on increases.
    So in effect they've done nothing of the sort, the price in offies stays the same, it does not increase. The price in pubs drops 10%. If Bulmers is so ''overpriced'' in off-licences, why are so many people continually buying it? It is overpriced in pubs and this can be seen in the lack of people in your local on any given weekend. They're all going to offie where there is much better value to be had.

Bulmers is a rip off and has been losing sales hand over fist in the last few years. About bloody time, it's one of those products with an over inflated price tag to make it seem trendy or exclusive.

Bulmers is a rip off and has been losing sales hand over fist in the last few years. About bloody time, it's one of those products with an over inflated price tag to make it seem trendy or exclusive.
    Could also be attributed to the very poor summers we've had since 2006. Summer is cider season, and if the sun dont shine then the till dont ring.

Oh yeah Bulmers certainly has a reputation for being exclusive. Not even Bulmers themselves would bother trying to convince anyone of that. Cider has a higher excise duty than lagers etc. That, along with retailers/publicans greed during Bulmers heyday are the reasons for its inflated price.

Could also be attributed to the very poor summers we've had since 2006. Summer is cider season, and if the sun dont shine then the till dont ring.
    Yeah, I know that. But with their low sales with the bad summers, a pint bottle of cider at least €1 more than a pint of larger isn't going to encourage anyone to buy it. Hopefully
    Adyx wrote: »
    Oh yeah Bulmers certainly has a reputation for being exclusive. Not even Bulmers themselves would bother trying to convince anyone of that. Cider has a higher excise duty than lagers etc. That, along with retailers/publicans greed during Bulmers heyday are the reasons for its inflated price.

Bulmers have spent millions in the last 15 years changing the image of their cider, and it's considered a success. There's plenty of cheap ciders, the process of making bulmers isn't so different that it should be double the price, excise duty makes feck difference, it's just a completely over inflated price. Obviously if people pay it you can argue that's the price it should, but people aren't paying it anymore. Bad weather is important, but the massive price definitely doesn't help.
    For example, I like cider and would drink it from a pint bottle with ice on a hot day, but wouldn't bother on a normal night out because of it's ridiculous high price. If it was the same as a normal pint of larger or 10 or 20 cent more expensive, I would.

Yeah, I know that. But with their low sales with the bad summers, a pint bottle of cider at least €1 more than a pint of larger isn't going to encourage anyone to buy it. Hopefully

Bulmers have spent millions in the last 15 years changing the image of their cider, and it's considered a success. There's plenty of cheap ciders, the process of making bulmers isn't so different that it should be double the price, excise duty makes feck difference, it's just a completely over inflated price. Obviously if people pay it you can argue that's the price it should, but people aren't paying it anymore. Bad weather is important, but the massive price definitely doesn't help.
    For example, I like cider and would drink it from a pint bottle with ice on a hot day, but wouldn't bother on a normal night out because of it's ridiculous high price. If it was the same as a normal pint of larger or 10 or 20 cent more expensive, I would.

As much as I put Bulmers down, I actually drink it myself. Pints only - don't like bottles unless I have to. A pint bottle of Bulmers will never be close to the same price as a pint of lager. Off the top of my head a pint bottle costs approximately €1.50 more than a pint to buy for the publican.

It just been clever marketing on Bulmers part. The whole exclusivety of it has made people willing pawns. However if we have another poor summer, which is a distinct possiblity, expect cider prices to come down as Bulmers tries to attract consumers back to its product. Its parent company, C&C, total cider revenues, fell by 15.2 per cent in the 12 months to the end of February 2009 to €387 million. They really can't afford to suffer another washout summer. If the summer is anywhere warm, expect prices to remain as they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

It just been clever marketing on Bulmers part. The whole exclusivety of it has made people willing pawns.

You've hit the nail on the head ... I can remember when I started drinking the Pint Bottle of Bulmers was the cheapest pint you could buy in a pub :rolleyes:

Was 10p cheaper than the black stuff which is now the cheapest pint. I still didn't drink it :P

Advertisement