Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulmers Announce 10% reduction on their Pint Bottle of Cider

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

You've hit the nail on the head ... I can remember when I started drinking the Pint Bottle of Bulmers was the cheapest pint you could buy in a pub :rolleyes:

Was 10p cheaper than the black stuff which is now the cheapest pint. I still didn't drink it :P

I admit I never even enquired about pint bottles of bulmers, but I don't ever remember them being cheaper than a pint of guinness. When exactly are you talking about, and where were the pubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

grenache wrote: »
    Read the ad, its says the price is being reduced in your local i.e. your local pub. It says nowhere about it applying to off licences.
    The ad is just using everyday talk they do not mention it "not applying to off licences". They are informally saying they are reducing the price and so you could see it going for cheaper if the saving is passed on. It is already established there is no difference price to pubs or offies.

You came up with the quite formal statement
    Can i just point out to patrons, that the Bulmers price reduction does not extend to off licences. Thank you.
    NOFLA has said its members will not pass on the reduction.
    Have you any links about this decision? Some other offies have dropped it as mentioned.
    in effect they've done nothing of the sort, the price in offies stays the same, it does not increase.
    Right, I should have said in effect they are raising their profit margins by not passing on the saving. Of course this is allowed, I just was saying it is poor form for pubs & off licences who choose not to.
    The price in pubs drops 10%.
    This is not the case, nobody is forcing them, some pubs charge €7.90 for a bottle, I doubt they will drop it 79cent (10%) when they have only got a 10% reduction from bulmers for what they pay.
    If Bulmers is so ''overpriced'' in off-licences, why are so many people continually buying it?
    I know very few who buy it in offies. It is relatively very overpriced and many people I know who drink bulmers in a pub would be on €1 bottles of beer at home. Not €2.40+ cans of bulmers
    Quint wrote: »
    Bulmers have spent millions in the last 15 years changing the image of their cider, and it's considered a success. There's plenty of cheap ciders, the process of making bulmers isn't so different that it should be double the price, excise duty makes feck difference, it's just a completely over inflated price.
    The cheaper ciders are also higher % so have more duty, and more ingredients to make them, so bulmers could be sold cheaper at the same margins. Its great marketing, the drink industry in particular thrives on suckers who fall for the "high price must=quality" bullsh!t.

I see corona was dropped to €1 in dunnes, if this happens more I can think of 3 corona drinkers I know who will actually probably stop drinking it. "ohhh I wouldn't be caught dead drinking cheap muck"
    I can remember when I started drinking the Pint Bottle of Bulmers was the cheapest pint you could buy in a pub :rolleyes:
    Must have been an odd pub. I used to drink bulmers the odd time years ago when I was young and remember it was a no-no to get a pint bottle in a round as it was so expensive relative to other pints. I remember the pint bottle introduction very well, and can never recall them being sold cheaper than a pint of guinness, or any other "big brewry" pint on tap.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

rubadub wrote: »
    the drink industry in particular thrives on suckers who fall for the "high price must=quality" bullsh!t.

I see corona was dropped to €1 in dunnes, if this happens more I can think of 3 corona drinkers I know who will actually probably stop drinking it. "ohhh I wouldn't be caught dead drinking cheap muck"
    It's called "brand devaluation" in the trade, and annoys the hell out of me. I don't know who to be more angry at: the gouging retailers or the idiotic drinkers who support their sharp practices :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's called "brand devaluation" in the trade, and annoys the hell out of me. I don't know who to be more angry at: the gouging retailers or the idiotic drinkers who support their sharp practices :mad:

Also known as "knacker tax"

Quint wrote: »
    Also known as "knacker tax"
    Unfortunately it affects everyone. It sets an artificial minimum price for all drinks which want to appear classy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 B-dawg

Price quotes on following PLEASE!? :) (In Ireland, euro)_
    bulmers litre bottle, fat frog litre bottle and bulmers four pack?
    THANKS_!

B-dawg wrote: »
    bulmers litre bottle,
    €4.60
    fat frog litre bottle
    €6.05
    bulmers four pack?
    Cans? €9.40

Prices from Superquinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭remotesensor

By the way, Bulmers have taken 10% off their PINT bottle. When have you seen a pint bottle in an off licence??? Very rarely. They tend to just sell the longnecks, litres and cans. Thats why the reduction is only in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

By the way, Bulmers have taken 10% off their PINT bottle. When have you seen a pint bottle in an off licence??? Very rarely. They tend to just sell the longnecks, litres and cans. Thats why the reduction is only in the pub.
    Rarely? I see them all the time, in fact I would say they are more common than litre bottles. The reduction is not only in the pub as explained

Advertisement