Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are your roads melting yet?

• 02-06-2009 5:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭

The Asphalt around my direction is overheating and being spat up onto my windscreen and paintwork.

The aggregate is being spat around the place like loose chippings and one newly laid stretch is now sinking in one place where the wheels are passing over.

There goes the wax job on my car.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Didn't notice melting asphalt, but I've just come back from the Naas Road to Tallaght and the Skoda I was in was reading 28 Celcius!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Berty wrote: »
    The Asphalt around my direction is overheating and being spat up onto my windscreen and paintwork.

The aggregate is being spat around the place like loose chippings and one newly laid stretch is now sinking in one place where the wheels are passing over.

There goes the wax job on my car.

I actually ordered a set of mudflaps last week as I felt this was coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Look at it from a positive point of view:

This way you can re-claim some of your road tax* :D. On the way home today I collected at least ten euros worth of tar and gravel in the wheel arches and on the body of my car. A few more sunny days and I'm quids in :D

Seriously ...wtf like...25 degrees and the roads dissapear in whole chunks?

* yes, I'm fully aware it's not raod tax but mo-hoh tax ...but otherwise my little rant wouldn't work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Some of the roads around where I live are all smelling like a newly laid road. Tis lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

peasant wrote: »
    Seriously ...wtf like...25 degrees and the roads dissapear in whole chunks?

The temp on the ground is much hotter than 25c!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The road I refer to is the Limerick - Newport Road.

Its a newely laid strech around 500mtrs long and driving on it is like driving on ice. You drive over it and its makes the noise as though you were driving through a puddle. The car is slowly sliding around and when I arrived home I found most of the road is attached to the back of my car.

WHICH I de-tarred and waxed over the weekend. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Joeface

just drove thru that on my way home as well .........sounds like driving thru a river , very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Matt Simis wrote: »
    The temp on the ground is much hotter than 25c!

so it is ...but do I really have to list all the countries that regularly enjoy temperatures above 30 degrees and sunshine yet still manage to have perfectly driveable, non-desintegrating roads? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I have sent an e-mail to Limerick County Council explaining that the lack of a wearing course and wet ashpalt WILL cause accidents and also(for the hell of it) asked who is going to pay for de-tarring my car.

I also explained "Malfeasance" is no excuse as it is a newly laid road and they are responsible for providing a suitable road surface.

We will see if they bother to reply.

I sent an e-mail to Limerick City Council last week about an invisible roundabout(wore away) with only 2 yield signs and 4 entries/exits.

They never replied so I do not hold much hope for their counterparts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 whitecrocus92

yeah mine are, i wrote my initials in the tar :) its 28 degrees here in galway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I seen the roads up around the Sally Gap completely fall apart on a hot day.

I had to turn the bike around and push it because there was no traction at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Drove from Sligo to Cork yesterday and by far the worst was coming through Gort. With the windows opened it really did sound like I was driving along through constant puddles.

Too afraid to look at the state of the car today, though its barely moved so maybe I should just check the ground around it and see if its melted off the car and all in the heat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

local roads round me were like this the other day and it had only reached 20c:eek: any repairs on the road (most of the bloody thing) were especially bad. I used to live in the bloody desert (phoenix az) and this never happened even over 40c. Now I understand that Tipp Co. council were not expecting 40c this summer, but surely they were expecting 20?????

most of the repairs were because we had a bit of frost this winter........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

2 pieces of concrete in work yesterday on the footpath, each about 2m wide by 8m long expanded and buckled up about 10" to form a tent like shape.
    Something like this

/\

Advertisement