Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bulgaria v Ireland saturday 6th ko 6:30 setanta Ireland/RTÉ 2

• 02-06-2009 5:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Right I know this is early but this match can virtually end Bulgaria's hopes of qualifying.
    Berba is back for them.
    given is fit at the moment and we have no proven replacement should anything happen.

I think the team could line up in two ways
    A
    Given
    O'Shea Dunne St. ledger kilbane

Mcgeady Andrews Whelan Duff

Keane Best

B
    Given
    Foaly Dunne O'Shea Kilbane

Mcgeady Andrews Whelan Duff

Keane Best

Best to get his first competitive start due to injurys for doyle and folan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Did Ireland win on Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Des wrote: »
    Did Ireland win on Friday?

Yeah man 3-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yeah man 3-0.

Thanks

I was in Italy last week, as you can imagine this didn't exactly make headlines over there.

Who scored?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Des wrote: »
    Did Ireland win on friday?
    not 3-0 iirc

Rep of Ireland 1-1 Nigeria

Keane (38) (HT 1-1) Michael Eneramo (30)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

not 3-0 iirc

:rolleyes:

It was 3-0 Best, St.Ledger and Lawrence scored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

not 3-0 iirc

Think the lad was taking the pish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Is this only on Setanta Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

That_Guy wrote: »
    Is this only on Setanta Ireland?
    It's on RTE2 as usual. Don't know why the OP just said Setanta Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Is Folan out? Thought he was next in line for Doyle's position.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

PCros wrote: »
    Think the lad was taking the pish.

I know, wasnt sure if des was though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Foley is nowhere near ready for competitive internationals, tho come to think of it McShane has never been nowhere near ready so team A looks about right...and as for "Berba"! did you see him in the CL final :D...don't worry about that chancer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Gibson out for this match allegedly...

Good old reliable teletext

221-01.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

Boring draw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

Burial wrote: »
    Boring draw

il take that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Table is here:
    WC Group 8 table

if we lose we're still in 2nd place, 2 points ahead of bulgaria in 3rd with 3 games to go agaist Cyprus(A), Italy(H) and Montenegro(H).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Table is here:
    WC Group 8 table

if we lose we're still in 2nd place, 2 points ahead of bulgaria in 3rd with 3 games to go agaist Cyprus(A), Italy(H) and Montenegro(H).
    And Bulgaria's game in hand is against Italy. We could almost wrap up second place if we won this match but we'll more than likely draw, which isn't a disaster either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

According to the indo today St Ledger and Hunt will start, thats the way they trained yesterday

So this is what the team might look like:

Given
    O'Shea
    Dunne
    St. Ledger
    Kilbane
    Hunt
    whelean
    Andrews
    Duff
    Folan
    Keane

BaZmO* wrote: »
    And Bulgaria's game in hand is against Italy. We could almost wrap up second place if we won this match but we'll more than likely draw, which isn't a disaster either.

Win Saturday and we're in pole to win the group! Italy are beatable at home....funnily enough I think Cyprus away could be trickier than these 2 and it's where we might come unstuck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I'd take a draw. 1-0 Bulgaria though :( presuming they keep 11 men on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    According to the indo today St Ledger and Hunt will start, thats the way they trained yesterday

So this is what the team might look like:

Given
    O'Shea
    Dunne
    St. Ledger
    Kilbane
    Hunt
    whelean
    Andrews
    Duff
    Folan
    Keane

It seems that Trap has finally realised McShane is a liability at right-back but is St. Ledger ready for such a big game? I'm uneasy about the O'Shea/Dunne partnership being broken up for such a massive game but Kevin Foley's gone home as he's about to beccme a Dad so there aren't many other alternatives.

He really can only do the above formation or else bring in McShane at right-back, keep O'Shea and Dunne at centre-back and take out St. Ledger.

Here's a thought though - Stephen Carr. Would he not have been a good selection to make considering the dire circumstances? He recaptured his form at Birmingham and has landed a new contract and, perhaps I'm on my own here, but I'd feel far more comfortable with a back four ahead of Given that looked like this:

Given
    ---Carr
    O'Shea
    Dunne
    Kilbane----

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Has no one remembered how dodgy Kilbane was against this lot at home?

Voltwad wrote: »
    Has no one remembered how dodgy Kilbane was against this lot at home?

He's long past it...the lad Delaney would be a better long term option

KK should be put out to stud to sire some more donkeys :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

It's a pity about Gibson being out, but unfortunately Whelan probably would have started anyway.

Am very optimistic about Andrews for this match!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

I'm liking the look of this potential side. McGeady's been dropped because Trap feels he won't track back on Martin Petrov enough, I have no doubt. That's something that Hunt will do and he has the energy to balance his defensive duties with a bit of attack.
    St. Ledger should be safe. He's decent and reliable. Having McShane out at right back would be far more dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Has the starting team been announced yet?

If not when will it be?

eoccork wrote: »

If not when will it be?

Tomorrow I would've assumed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

eoccork wrote: »

If not when will it be?
    Judging by what Tardelli and Traps have been saying during the week the team will probably look a little like this:

Given, O'Shea, Dunne, St Ledger, Kilbane, Hunt, Whelan, Andrews, Duff, Keane, Best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

McShane being out is an absolute blessing, words fail me with that clown. A draw would be a good result here, can't see us winning it.

Aidric wrote: »
    McShane being out is an absolute blessing, words fail me with that clown. A draw would be a good result here, can't see us winning it.

I think we'll win it to be honest. It'll be a really scrappy affair I'd imagine. A 1-0 win for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Injury concerns about Dunne and Keane :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I think we'll win it to be honest. It'll be a really scrappy affair I'd imagine. A 1-0 win for us.
    How on earth could you think that we'll win it! Have you gone loco? Did you see the game in Croke Park? They completely outplayed us. The only reason they didn't beat us convincingly was because of the lack of a decent striker. With Berbatov and Bojinov back now that's no longer a problem. A draw is the absolute best result Ireland can come for.

And that's my sneery condescending post out of the way for this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah I'm not too optimistic about this game. I'd love to see us surprise Bulgaria and beat them but I reckon we'll lose by a goal. Really hope I'm wrong but I feel this is one of the weakest squads we've had in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

KerranJast wrote: »
    Injury concerns about Dunne and Keane :eek:

I could've sworn I heard that on the tv in the background alright, but that was literally all they said. Any more news on this? There's nothing on the Rte website that I could see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Bulgaria are evens on pp atm

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I'm confident of a win here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

mayordenis wrote: »
    I'm confident of a win here.

Don't know how you could be. This is a very ordinary Ireland team and if Trap can get us to the WC with the likes of Whelan and McShane in the team then hats off to him (though I still think he's too negative). If we get a draw in Sofia we're still on course for a second place finish in the group which would have been the target at the outset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

The more i look at the irish squad the more i shake my head and think what a fantastic job trap is doing. The amount of poor poor footballers in there is beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

For anyone abroad they can get their fix of Dunphy and Giles on the web - live after match analysis

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/features/webextra.html

World Cup Extra: Bulgaria v Rep of Ireland

Join Bill, Eamon, John and Ronnie live as they continue their discussion on the Republic of Ireland's game against Bulgaria in Sofia in this WEB-ONLY special from 9pm on Saturday 6 June.
    Users WORLDWIDE can access the show - and the panel will answer your emails relating to the match so get in touch on worldcup@rte.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I feel guilty for being pleased Paul McShane is injured. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

jaykay74 wrote: »
    For anyone abroad they can get their fix of Dunphy and Giles on the web - live after match analysis

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/features/webextra.html

World Cup Extra: Bulgaria v Rep of Ireland

Join Bill, Eamon, John and Ronnie live as they continue their discussion on the Republic of Ireland's game against Bulgaria in Sofia in this WEB-ONLY special from 9pm on Saturday 6 June.
    Users WORLDWIDE can access the show - and the panel will answer your emails relating to the match so get in touch on worldcup@rte.ie

Is the match itself available abroad on the RTE site? Kicks off 3am Sydney time, major sesh on beforehand so Im concerned I might get too pissed to get into a pub showing it :( T`internet might save me.

• Advertisement

shane86 wrote: »
    Is the match itself available abroad on the RTE site? Kicks off 3am Sydney time, major sesh on beforehand so Im concerned I might get too pissed to get into a pub showing it :( T`internet might save me.

No it looks like the match itself is ireland only. The tv coverage finishes at 9pm and then this webcast starts and the lads are meant to field email questions. I'm going to send in one about honesty of effort and how players like Berbatov don't need to have it to be good :)

http://www.rte.ie/sport/webcastschedule.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Should be no hassles getting a decent stream with it on both Sultana and RTE.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Should be no hassles getting a decent stream with it on both Sultana and RTE.

Can't find any links yet from myp2p.eu. Says they'll be up at half one this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Can't find any links yet from myp2p.eu. Says they'll be up at half one this afternoon.

Yeah, they usually have them up when they say they will. Big big match this evening - have to say I would take a draw now tbh. Bulgaria will be all out pressure with their WC lives on the line. I can see us nicking one against the run of play but cannot see us holding Berbatov and co out for 90 mins...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Highsider wrote: »
    The more i look at the irish squad the more i shake my head and think what a fantastic job trap is doing. The amount of poor poor footballers in there is beyond belief.
    I'm sorry. Bulgaria's top defender plays for Leicester. He's injured for this game and they have a defensive crisis.

Look at the Bulgarian team full of stars that wouldn't want to be playing in the premiership...

BULGARIA (4-4-2): Ivankov (Bursaspor); Kishishev (Litex Lovech), Topuzakov (Hapoel Tel Aviv), Tomasic (Maccabi Tel Aviv-ISR), Stoyanov (Sanfrecce Hiroshima); Georgiev (Terek Groznyi), S Petrov (Aston Villa), Rangelov (Energie Cottbus), M Petrov (Man City); Berbatov (Man Utd), Bojinov (Man City).

Jesus we rate Bojinov as one of their star players just because he has Man City beside his name when we have a team full of premiership regulars (or soon to be). The only player actually not a regular starter is Folan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Jesus we rate Bojinov as one of their star players just because he has Man City beside his name

Speak for yourself.

I rate Bojinov because he has power, pace and is clinical in front of goal. That sort of combination means trouble for any defence.

Speak for yourself.

I rate Bojinov because he has power, pace and is clinical in front of goal. That sort of combination means trouble for any defence.

but this isn't just any defence. Oh wait....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I was at the game in croke park, some horrible stuff by us but I think we can spring a surprise.

Bulgaria arent that great. I dont think Berbatov or Boijnov add much to them. The two Petrovs are under-rated however

I heard they have defensive probs, missing one or two, any truth in that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this will be dire.

but...i'll be yelling at the screen begging for a result.

i fancy glenn whelan to nick us a goal for some reason. it's such an odd premonition i might put a few quid on it with a 1-1 draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Speak for yourself.

You're a Man City supporter. Few Irish people have actually seen him. He's started 3 games in the last 2 years. He could be great but most Irish people don't know that. They see a foreign name with Man City in brackets and he's great.

A lot of Irish look at the Bulgarian squad, see their 3 or 4 star players. They look at the Irish squad and pick out the worst players.

Their defence looks rubbish on paper. Their number 1 defender plays in League 1 and he's injured. But they're probably better than us as we only have Kilbane in defence...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement