Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bulgaria v Ireland saturday 6th ko 6:30 setanta Ireland/RTÉ 2

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

dogpile wrote: »
    That's the one, shame about his injuries....tbh I'd have Ian Harte back ahead of Kilbane, always knew about positional sense and always had a sweet left foot did Hartey tho never had pace but then KK has never been a Usain Bolt either :D

Are you actually serious? Do you know Harte plays for at the moment by any chance? Do you know KIlbane is faster, fitter, stronger, better in the air and a more competitive player?

I am not sure if you were joking - I can only hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Christy Brown for left back imo..........

Christy Brown for left back imo..........

No Ian Harte we said!

Christy has a better left peg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Christy has a better left peg

Who's Christy? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

I'd have Christy Moore at LB before recalling Harte.:D

Harte will be 33, Finnan 35 and Carsley 36 when the WC starts next summer which is obviously the reason they're not being considered during qualifying (and the fact that Finnan's been injured for most of the last year).

Ireland have looked pretty well organised (if a little creatively stunted) since Trap took over and the points tally to date is great when you acknowledge the paucity of real options.

The three big things from Saturday for me were:

1 - Folan...brilliant
    2 - Given, Dunne & Keane were all injured and they all played well
    3 - Real problems in the centre of midfield. A.Reid, S.Reid & S.Ireland would certainly give lots of options but it's kinda pointless talking about them unless or until they are available. In terms of Saturday, I woulda liked to have seen Hunt stay on through the middle in place of Whelan when McGeady came on. And Duff shoulda played on the left and McGeady right. I think we might not have given up so much possession that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Anyone see the papers this morning (think it was the Irish times) where there is talks about changing the U21 rules

so the likes of the preston GK, Noble, Anton Ferdinand and Nolan could be eligible for Ireland etc

Trap was mouthing on about it how he could strengthen his squad if it were changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

Trilla wrote: »
    Anyone see the papers this morning (think it was the Irish times) where there is talks about changing the U21 rules

so the likes of the preston GK, Noble, Anton Ferdinand and Nolan could be eligible for Ireland etc

Trap was mouthing on about it how he could strengthen his squad if it were changed.

http://www.imscouting.com/global_news_item.aspx?id=2205

Came from this decision by FIFA to change the rules on u-21 internationals switching their allegience.

Also in the examiner Mackey has mentioned it. Doubt there's going to be wholesale declarations for Ireland, I'd expect O'Hara and Noble to fancy their chances long term of a full England cap.

http://www.examiner.ie/sport/ireland-hit-the-right-notes-93627.html#ixzz0HnNkgDPE&C

However it does increse the need to give James McCarthy a full cap soon so his Irishness is confirmed:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

ah so its done and dusted? we can call up such players?

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »
    ah so its done and dusted? we can call up such players?

Presume so based on that FIFA decision. Just have to name the squad for the Australia friendly in August with Noble et al & see what happens;)

I could see Nolan possibly taking up the opportunity if we did call him up, as he isn't going to be playing for England anytime soon. Dunno if he'd be a huge improvement on what we have in centre mid already tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

I could see Nolan joining us too. England haven't come calling. I think his chance there is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Kevin Nolan is even worse than Glenn Whelan, he was one of the main reasons Newcastle were relegated - terrible, terrible signing.

If they represent Ireland and we qualify for the World Cup it'd all be worth it. It would give give the country such a lift and no doubts whatsoever it'd immediately overshadow the egg-chasers. The hype, media and excitement when Ireland qualify for a World Cup is just unbelieveable...

Gary O'Neill might be a good shout - him and Tuncay were the only decent players for Boro in a pathetic season.

Kevin Nolan is even worse than Glenn Whelan, he was one of the main reasons Newcastle were relegated - terrible, terrible signing.

If they represent Ireland and we qualify for the World Cup it'd all be worth it. It would give give the country such a lift and no doubts whatsoever it'd immediately overshadow the egg-chasers. The hype, media and excitement when Ireland qualify for a World Cup is just unbelieveable...

Gary O'Neill might be a good shout - him and Tuncay were the only decent players for Boro in a pathetic season.

Agree that Nolan isn't going to set our midfield alight or anything remotely like that, but his addition would add strength to our pool of players. With Steven Reid injured and the S.Ireland & A.Reid situations, our centre mid options are particularly weak - Darron Gibson and Liam Miller being next in line. I for one would put Nolan ahead of those two, having played consistently at the top level in England for the majority of the last decade, and leave it up to Trap to decide if he can disrupt our mighty Whelan-Andrews axis in the middle.

I'd have Christy Moore at LB before recalling Harte.:D

Harte will be 33, Finnan 35 and Carsley 36 when the WC starts next summer which is obviously the reason they're not being considered during qualifying (and the fact that Finnan's been injured for most of the last year).

Ireland have looked pretty well organised (if a little creatively stunted) since Trap took over and the points tally to date is great when you acknowledge the paucity of real options.

The three big things from Saturday for me were:

1 - Folan...brilliant
    2 - Given, Dunne & Keane were all injured and they all played well
    3 - Real problems in the centre of midfield. A.Reid, S.Reid & S.Ireland would certainly give lots of options but it's kinda pointless talking about them unless or until they are available. In terms of Saturday, I woulda liked to have seen Hunt stay on through the middle in place of Whelan when McGeady came on. And Duff shoulda played on the left and McGeady right. I think we might not have given up so much possession that way.

That was probably Keanes worst match ever in an Irish shirt.

That was probably Keanes worst match ever in an Irish shirt.

I am getting tired of saying that!

Still though he did pop up well recently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement