Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gur Cake

Options
  • 02-06-2009 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Is it available anywhere any more?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Des wrote: »
    Is it available anywhere any more?

Isnt it now called 'fruit slice'?
    You should try around Meath St. area in some of the bakeries there.

Here's a recipe for you if you're feeling adventurous, or perhaps a friendly wimmens might oblige. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Gur Cake

Ingredients
    12 ozs Stale Breadcrumbs
    8 ozs Dried Mixed Fruit
    8 ozs Brown sugar
    3 ozs Cream Flour
    2 ozs Butter or Margarine
    1 Level Teaspoon of Baking Powder (Or leave out and use Self-Raising Flour instead)
    Quarter of a pint of milk
    1 Heaped Dessertspoon of mixed spice
    2 Eggs
    Puff Pastry (The thawed-out frozen rolled sheets will do)

Method
    Cover the breadcrumbs with cold tea and leave for one hour. Squeeze dry. Sieve the flour and baking powder into a separate bowl, then add the sugar and rub in the butter until you have a crumbly consistency.

Add the fruit mix and mixed spice to the squeezed breadcrumbs and mix it well. Then add the flour mixture to it and beat in well for a couple of minutes. Beat the eggs and add the milk to it. Pour the lot into the cake mix and beat in well for a couple of minutes. Cover the mix and leave it sit for a few hours. This lets the dried fruit absorb the liquid and plump up, giving a moister cake in the end.

Get a large oven dish (lasagne dish) and butter the whole area. Roll out a sheet of puff pastry, place it in the dish and bring it up the sides. Pour in the cake mix and spread into the corners. Roll out the second sheet of pastry and lay it on top, taking care to pinch it into the sides and seal the cake. Prick the top of the cake in the middle lightly once or twice. Brush with milk.

Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees, or Gas Mark 4-5. Put in the cake at this heat for 15 minutes and then lower the temperature to about 150-160. Leave the cake in for 1.5 hours. Keep an eye on it after one hour to make sure the top doesn’t burn. If so, cover it loosely (don’t seal) with tin foil, turn down the heat slightly and leave in for an extra 15 minutes overall. You can judge that part yourself. Stick a knife through the centre and see if the mix is still wet (it shouldn’t be). Take the dish out, cover it with a tea-towel and let it cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I've seen it in SuperValu aannnd.. um.. hmmm possible SuperQuinn. But try bakeries like AnnsBakery on Henry St or Mannings also

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

Brian Ireland

Many thanks for the recepie :) Off to Tesco for Puff pastry... :)
    The only thing I might do differently from the method, I would rather soak the dried fruit in some hot strong tea mixed with a spoonful of good orange marmalade for nicer flavour(the way I would do for a Rich fruitcake).

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Tea time express on Talbot st does Gur cake. Its a little tiny place in the Irish life centre. They call it chester cake or something equally silly...but its gur cake.
    :: Drools ::

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

Thanks for the recipe, I can't wait to try it. I've always called it Chester Cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭chancer_007

u can buy gur(also know as chester) cake in superquinn...not too bad..layer on top is a little light
    theres a small bakery on talboyt st beside easons thats sells gur cake..big thick chunky slices with a tastey top & base...my father loves the stuff
    its a heavy cake but dam tastey..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

u can buy gur(also know as chester) cake in superquinn...not too bad..layer on top is a little light
    theres a small bakery on talboyt st beside easons thats sells gur cake..big thick chunky slices with a tastey top & base...my father loves the stuff
    its a heavy cake but dam tastey..

That's Tea-Time Express.

I work just around the corner, and after I started this thread, I had a look in there and spotted their "Fruit Slices" - they do look like Gur Cake.

But the most certainly are not the traditional Gur Cake.

Why?

The filling is as dry as anything.

The filling in the Gur Cake I remember from childhood was distinctly moist.

So, for that little bakery, I give a 2/10 for their attempt at recreating my childhood.
    :)

Gur/Chester cake has to be moist in the middle - the filling must be nice and thick and the raisins must be plump and juicy. Flick it, I'll just have to try brian's recipe!!!!

With a couple of changes I made Brian's recipe last night and was very pleased with the result. Here's a pic:
    cake.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

janey Des, cant believe this - i was only thinking about the gur recently as well (i never knew it as Chester cake), haven't had nor tasted it in years..

Lo and behold our local centra is selling it -from Staffords bakery, 4 slices to a pack. Taste wise its a slice of nostalgia, moist but not as wet as i remember it to have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

My mam used to make this back in 1985. Her friends used to drop round and play poker, smokes cartons of Major, drink some sort of alcohol (cant remember), and at home made gur cake. They'd leave some for me n me sis to eat for breakfast next morning.

Thanks for bringing back te memories.

Its Gurrrrreat.

. . . . . . get me coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 red glitter

tc20 wrote: »
    janey Des, cant believe this - i was only thinking about the gur recently as well (i never knew it as Chester cake), haven't had nor tasted it in years..

Lo and behold our local centra is selling it -from Staffords bakery, 4 slices to a pack. Taste wise its a slice of nostalgia, moist but not as wet as i remember it to have been.

They sell the Staffords variety in Dunnes. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Apparently the Superquinn Gur Cake is quite similar to Gur Cakes of old. Well, I've tried it and thought it was quite tasty, and my Mam said it's quite similar to what she used to make so, yeah, worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

just got one from clarkes on d cabra road. my mam works there. Hardly anyone calls them gurcakes now but fruitslices which are totally different. I said to her get me a gurcake and she looked at me like i've 10 heads:confused: have to say its yummy tho really rich and fattening but I dont care i'm 9 months pregnant so fat already:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

You can get homemade slices of it in Donovans on Pearse Street (next door to The Lombard).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I love Chester Cake ........ any time I pass Griffen's on Shop St I gotta get me some !!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DecentBee

Kwekubo wrote: »
    You can get homemade slices of it in Donovans on Pearse Street (next door to The Lombard).

Sadly closed now: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Dublin&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=14&ll=53.345069,-6.247787&spn=0.014194,0.06609&om=0

Advertisement