Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Shepherd missing help

Options
  • 02-06-2009 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Missing / Stolen on 29th of May from Jenkinstown Area, outside Dundalk Co. Louth.Dio is a 10 Month Old, Male, Short haired German Shepherd.He's microchipped.Reward Offered. Any details please.A silver estate car was seen in a field near by shortly before he went missing.I've called the Garda and all the local vets and animal shelters Meath,Louth,and Monaghan.I saw this news article I wonder is this the same thieves

http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/tabId/515/itemId/2131/Gardaiacute-investigate-theft-of-German-Shepherd.aspx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Such a beautiful dog, I really hope you get him back.

Be sure to post a listing about him on www.lostandfound.ie and also on the ISPCA website. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

You could ask some local businesses for CCTV recordings of the day. Maybe a camera picked up the vehicle in and around the time the dog went missing.

Good luck anyway.. I'll be on the lookout for a silver estate. I live in mid-Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TonyInch

Thanks for your interest and replies.Its just terrible that you cant even have a dog in this country without someone robbing him? Why do these people steal dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

TonyInch wrote: »
    Thanks for your interest and replies.Its just terrible that you cant even have a dog in this country without someone robbing him? Why do these people steal dogs?

The people responsible are pure scumbags mate. The chances are that they'll sell them for a quick profit.

Terrible but sadly common
    http://www.liberation-mag.org.uk/dognapping.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

If he's not neutered and was indeed stolen, they probably knew he wasn't neutered.... an entire male pedigree can be used for stud by puppy farmers.

He's a fine looking dog, I hope you find him soon.
    I'll crosspost the details and his pic onto other forums.

• Advertisement

I was going get him neutered but my vet advised me otherwise as the dog is a lovely pedigree specimen. It would kill me to think that he's been taken away to some kippy puppy farm.At 10 months can he even sire?I can only hope that he's left back when the job is done.

Great vet eh? They're supposed to promote and encourage neutering not talk people out of it! How is he to know if the dog is a good example of his breed just by looking at him....did he see his 5 generation papers? Does he own and show GSDs? Is he confident that the dog will get a really good result in the health relevant tests?
    Jesus! Not you I'm appalled at Tony.

Yes, at 10 months he would be capable of siring a litter.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

Great vet eh? They're supposed to promote and encourage neutering not talk people out of it!

This happened to my dadonce, i never forget the day cause i was with him, ever since i've avoided going to that vet. We had a german shepard(Pippa) and a cross german shepard(Wolfie) who was neutered. we were getting annual injections and asked to get Pippa neutered.

The vet refused said he'd rather we bred her and he'd take the pups off us, said she'd end up like a fat lazy dog like Wolfie. :eek:

Well my dad paid his bill and left, never went back to him again.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

I am so sorry to hear about the theft of your dog .Stick an ad on done deals i will put his pic on other gsd forums i hope u get him back

on done deal people are advertising for gsds and rottweilers someone may have took him to sell on .It wouldnt hurt to notify the people who placed ad and ask them to watch out for ur dog in case they r offered him.Also please put ad on done deals about ur dog .Any news yet

• Advertisement

His microchip has been red flagged with th IKC.I've tried to contact nearly every person who was seeking or sold a GSD by text,email or phone in the last month on the Buy and sell website,donedeal and gumtree.hopefully I've spooked some of the dodgey ones.Tried some GSD societies and kennels but sadly they havent been very interested.

I've spoken to most of the locals and have posters in every chippy,shop and petrol station from Omeath,carlingford back into dundalk.Plus local vets,beauty spots and pet shops.

I'm waiting to hear from my insurance company but my policy may stretch to a pet detective.I've also heard that balbriggan market on a Sunday can be a hot spot for stolen dogs.

Thanks for all the sugestions.I think I've covered the bases to the best of my ability so hopefullly I get some news soon

VERY BAD news Robert from the Pet detectives is 90-95% sure he was shot/poisoned. Some of the local farmers openly admitted to engaging in a shoot first ask questions later manner.I've only myself to blame I don't know how Dio managed to escape but the area is full of sheep and cattle.A wandering German Shepherd is an easy target.No shooting was reported to the Garda or Dio's body recovered so it makes me think he was killed for no reason.The other thing is the search of the area started immediately as he was there one minute then gone.
    Its very sad end but as I said before Dio shouldn't have been able to get out.
    Hope this will give people that extra incentive to insure their pets are 100%secure.

I'm so sorry to hear that Tony, you must be gutted.... Don't give up hope til you see him though....it's not certain that he met an ending.
    Could you visit local farmers and ask them outright if they've seen or heard of a loose GSD? And if they know of one that might have been shot cos you'd like to retrieve him and bury him.... Worth a try. I dunno about you but personally I wouldn't accept that he was killed til I'd seen the body...
    My heart goes out to you, I can only imagine what you're going through.

The pet detective was talking to the local farmers as was I,its more what their not saying than what they are saying.Some have been helpful and sympathetic whilt others just didn't care.I feel the closest neighbour doesn't want to fall out with the others in the farming community but knows who did it and won't say.I'm totally gutted I'm actually raging if I could find out I would.I told them to their face that I wanted to find out the truth if he'd been shot.I'm also in a delicate situation as it was my inlaws who were minded Dio when I was playing a GAA championship football match.I left him out to them instead of leaving him alone at home-most costly mistake of my life!

The pet detective warned me that I could cause a rift with the inlaws neighbours if I kept pushing so i have to move lightly.The detective talked to local connections and no word of a stolen GSD plus the time of evening (8) that he went missing would be outside normal theft times.Also only 3 dogs were stolen from the area in the last 3years according to the garda.I'm so angry but ultimately its my fault he wasn't safely secured

It's an awful situation:mad: From what you say, there may never be closure.... Do you think if you said to the closest neighbour that you're not looking to blame- you just want to bury your pet, and maybe they can at least point you in the right area to look for Dio?

Im so sorry and thinking of you

Advertisement