Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher maths?

Options
  • 02-06-2009 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Ok i done it last year and failed miserably! went back this year repeated it and im still not sure should i risk it friday or drop to pass? I worked like f*&k at it though all year but i still havent revised the algebra and theres some of the finer points in calculus(advanced) that are haggling me!
    im gonna be flat out at paper one from now on and hopefully itl go well!

anyone else worried about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

yeah I'm worried, there's a big chance of me failing. haven't looked at pass papers and I know there's some stuff higher don't do so dropping back isn't really an option for me. just attempt everything. if you don't know the formula for something, make it up. if you don't know how to do a part one of question but know how to do the second part but you need and answer from the first part to do it, just make up the answer. If you have a big panic attack go do some (a) parts. I'd say you'll be grand, this is what I keep telling myself if you just attempt everything :) and don't do the circle question first on paper 2, leave it til the end if you're going to do it cos it takes so fecking long. never go over 20mins for each Q either. just leave it, you can come back to it.

WE'RE GOING TO BE FINE, RIGHT? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Advanced calculas isn't actually that hard, if you want I can give you some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

WE'RE GOING TO BE FINE, RIGHT? :D
    thats what i like to think, but id say your not in for the second time! i really took it as it came last year! all i can take from the exam last year was that i done alll the a,s first! it gives a kind of boost to your confidence and plus if you get them all out its 60 marks down!
    really at this stage i think il prob chance it, an awful waste of a year for me to do pass i think!:D

ah just about the pass i wouldnt go red raw into on the morning and decide to do it, itd put you of big time! if you were to look at it the night before and know simpsons rule youd get an A in it!

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Advanced calculas isn't actually that hard, if you want I can give you some help.
    i might take you up on that in a while!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

No problem, P.M me if you need a hand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

I've wanted to drop honours since 5th year but never did. Not the best maths student in the world, usually manage to scrap a pass. I haven't studied maths at all and haven't looked at it since we broke up from school.

I won't be looking at paper one till thursday nite and then i have to do the whole geo course aswell the same day. I manage to pass by one percent in the mocks.

Tech I need a d3 in it for college, but im not set on going to college so im not worried about it.

I think im still going to go for it and sit the honours tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Got a D1 in the pres and I feel like I know even less now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

Guys, if you're feeling nervous. Just remember, the examiners are quite helpful with attempts, so write down anything, and who knows what you might end up with. My maths teacher was saying you pretty much start on 33% of attempt marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Did the entire 2008 paper 1 today and got stuck so many times. I've used all the techniques hundreds of times but seem to have forgotten them all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

http://www.examsupport.ie/articles/mathtips.php

Some tips on both papers. He normally gets a good few things right, so they'd be worth knowing anyway.

I wouldn't drop on the day because you really won't do yourself justice. If you can manage the majority of the (a) and (b) parts, you will pass, and just attempt what you can of the (c) parts. That's my plan anyway, I'd be extremely happy just to pass at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

plus, theres some questions on the pass paper that you won't have covered in the honours syllabus. its not simply an easier version of the honours paper as far as i know. dropping down on the day would be a big mistake

Fince wrote: »
    plus, theres some questions on the pass paper that you won't have covered in the honours syllabus. its not simply an easier version of the honours paper as far as i know. dropping down on the day would be a big mistake
    absolutely, but if you were to look at a few papers before its achievable i would think!

If you were to go into the exam hall and look at the paper and see that your ****ed could you then ask for the pass paper and do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

ayapatrick wrote: »
    absolutely, but if you were to look at a few papers before its achievable i would think!

If you were to go into the exam hall and look at the paper and see that your ****ed could you then ask for the pass paper and do it?

Once you look at the paper you can't switch it, unless your very quick. Plus our supervisor comes around and asks us whether were doing HL or OL first to give out the stickers, so I don't know how you would manage it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

Not a chance, once you say honours and they give you that paper, your doing honours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Hey lads.

It's 6 years since I did my LC Maths and I know how tough it can be for some people. Just a few tips that might help someone. It helps to approach study in a very methodical way.

Get your English Paper 2 out of the way and then get stuck into Maths 1. Don't even glance at Paper 2 until Paper 1 is done.

Take the 2007 and 2006 papers.
    Do 2007 Q1(a) and 2006 Q1(a).
    Then 2007 Q1(b) and 2006 Q1(b).
    2007 Q1(c) and 2006 Q1(c).

Do this for all six questions you plan on attempting. By the time you complete both papers, you'll have done two variations of each individual part. There aren't that many other ways of asking the questions.

Rip out the pages and staple the Q1(a)'s together. Same with (b)'s and (c)'s. Do this with all six questions.

You've then got an easy way to reference something when you're going back over them. This is especially helpful on the morning of the exam when you're freaking out thinking "what kind of question is the (b) part of Question 3" or whatever.

The only practice of any use that you can do for Maths is examples.

Do your examples and use these as your study guide.

Try not to freak out in the exam. And if you can't do a question but konw the formula you have to use write this down. It's worth a lot!

Good luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Our teacher gave us a good tip for the Intergration question, especially if it's an area or volume problem;

"Integrate something!"

If you integrate anything, and show you know how to integrate, even if it's the wrong integral, you'll get some marks.

And don't ever use Integration By Parts on Paper 1!!

Learn your first principals, easy marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Get your English Paper 2 out of the way and then get stuck into Maths 1. Don't even glance at Paper 2 until Paper 1 is done.
    :D

oh the irony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭usemyillusion12

i just about passed higher maths in the mocks , then i dropped down to ordinary

as soon as i dropped , i didnt open a maths book , then took the ordinary maths lc papers with a smile on my face in the exam , just leaning back and flying through the paper

point being , if you dont absolutely need higher maths , then drop , as this leaves you with way more time for other subjects

i just about passed higher maths in the mocks , then i dropped down to ordinary

as soon as i dropped , i didnt open a maths book , then took the ordinary maths lc papers with a smile on my face in the exam , just leaning back and flying through the paper

point being , if you dont absolutely need higher maths , then drop , as this leaves you with way more time for other subjects
    that is the best point anyone could make! at this stage in the game its too late for anyone taking the leaving this year but it takes up way too much time!

i wish i doen it now when i done it, id probably have came out with over 500 points! got 450 with it which wasnt too bad though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

http://www.examsupport.ie/articles/mathtips.php

For anyone who wants it. Written by this guy who gave a revision course in UCC.

(Was class by the way)

• Advertisement
Advertisement