Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Announcement will "will literally change the UFC and mixed martial arts forever." ..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Dana's head is really an egg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Killme00 wrote: »
    Womens divisions

/End thread

Either that or they are going to allow fighters to use weapons :pac:. Other than those two nothing justifies this hype.

Dana's already said there wont be a womens division for a long time. At least until they have the same rules. i.e. 5 min rounds

Dana will enter TUF 10 and fight Kimbo.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

Might be nothing, but today on ufc.com I've just noticed a Japanese flag alongside the U.S., U.K. and German ones that usually appear....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Dana will enter TUF 10 and fight Kimbo.:rolleyes:

That has already been announced......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Potential MMA regulation passes major hurdle in New York state
    The fight for mixed-martial-arts regulation in the potentially lucrative New York market cleared a major hurdle today.

The New York State Assembly's Committee on Tourism, Parks, Arts and Sports today garnered a favorable vote for Bill 2009-B, which would call for the New York State Athletic Commission to regulate MMA.

MMAjunkie.com medical columnist Dr. Johnny Benjamin, who helped state politicians form arguments in favor of the sports and its safety, today confirmed the vote passed with a 14-6 margin.

Eleven votes were needed to pass the bill beyond the committee.

"We've cleared a huge hurdle in getting it [past] our committee," Michael Kim, assistant to New York Assemblyman (and bill supporter) Steven Englebright, stated in an email. "Until today, we had never gotten it [past] our committee."

However, before it heads to the Assembly floor, the bill must first clear New York's Codes Committee, which will inspect the legal details of the bill.

The biggest hurdle, though, was getting the bill out of the Committee on Tourism, Parks, Arts and Sports. Although MMA's most prominent organization, the Ultimate Fighting Championship, entered the fight with a massive public-awareness campaign, the bill faced heavy opposition, most notably from Assemblyman Bob Reilly.

"MMA is sport with an excellent track record of being proactive when it comes to fighter safety," Dr. Benjamin said. "I'm happy that I could play a small role to help further that message."

The UFC has long desired to hold an event in New York, which lasted hosted a UFC event in 1995, when "UFC 7: The Brawl in Buffalo" took place in front of 9,000 spectators at the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium.

The state banned MMA two years later.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15075/mma-legislation-passes-major-hurdle-in-new-york.mma

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

Ye, I think the above story will grow legs soon and NYNY will soon have leagalised MMA shows.

On the Japan flag thing, that was announced a while ago, click on the flag and you see UFC Japan - They will be doing shows there (and in France) in the next year, I believe.

The kind of reception they get over there will be interesting...LOTS of (justifiable IMO) bad feelings towards them over there still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Maynard wrote: »

The kind of reception they get over there will be interesting...LOTS of (justifiable IMO) bad feelings towards them over there still.

Quite true , although they do have enough ex-pride guys on the books to get some people interested in japan, can't see them using japanese rules there though , much id like to see it.

Olympics ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Olympics ?

Not unless it's wearing pads and headguards, which would reduce the sport to grappling.

Wrestling and Judo are already olympic sports.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Maynard wrote: »

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Drunkmonkey79

I'm throwing 'new improved scoring system' in as my guess.
    I don't think a tv deal means squat to MMA, it only helps UFC. New York is a good guess but if thats the answer its grossly over hyped.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

_oveless wrote: »
    Why?

Japan is very nationalistic not in a racist way just more that they support their own enterprises above all others by a wide margin and there is also some underlining tensions between US & Japan over WWII. Also business practice and culture are very different. Zuffa decided that a US owned PRIDE was a non runner for those reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭hmmmmmm

Now, if it's a really big announcement, that would justify the build-up, it could be the absorption of the WEC into the UFC, and have those lighter weight classes under one umbrella. At least, that's one way of having a title fight in every pay per view.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

Absorbing the WEC could also lead to more regular shows, maybe even weekly fight nights.

How would that change MMA?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

Weekly fights throughout the year is a pretty big change for MMA. It's also mean WAY more fighters getting a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

I think weekly shows would be overkill to be honest.

Weekly fights throughout the year is a pretty big change for MMA. It's also mean WAY more fighters getting a chance.
    That would change UFC but not MMA in general

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

nude fights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

The return of BIG John McCarthy! In a triple threat with Steve Mazzagatti and Yves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

Would love to see a UFC in MSG though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 SWEATHOG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

SWEATHOG wrote: »

That would be awesome [God I miss M-1 on Bravo 2] but I just can't see Dana caving as far as cross-promotion goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

That would be great, but dont see it happening and I dont think thats the big news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

M1 would have a hell of a lot more to gain from something like that i'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

rovert wrote: »
    If it was New York legalising MMA events those meetings would be in New York I guess.

Wild guess: no more drug testing or heel Goldberg

For a second I thought you meant Bill.:pac:

flahavaj wrote: »
    +1
    :pac:

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »

I did but it is our little secret :pac:

Advertisement