Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless surround sound

• 02-06-2009 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good system? Dont have a budget really, just somthing that is predominantly good value, and not too expensive. Dont want to give a figure because I dont know what these things cost. Is there anything I should be aware of when buying a system like this?

FWIW I have a Sony HD ready tv (KDLv4000 poss?) and an upscaling dvd player (no doubt bluray at some stage tho)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Panasonic Bluray - Panasonic Bluray Tallboy Wireless ready
    Samsung DVD Wirless - Tallboy DVD Wirelless .
    Probably LG, Phillips,Sony to...
    Drawback is the rears / rear surrounds need to be cabled into a receiver-box which has to be plugged into an electrical socket.
    Wireless in the scene there are no cables across the room.
    Average price is €500 blurays are about €700

>Sol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭axton1

Hi New approach,

I believe Audio Pro will launch a new range of wireless speakers end of the summer. They will have Hi Fi quality with no interference or noise in the signal transmission. from what I hear there will also be plug and play models for laptops as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭andy1249

I believe Audio Pro will launch a new range of wireless speakers end of the summer. They will have Hi Fi quality with no interference or noise in the signal transmission.

Have you got a link ?

As it stands , the only wireless speakers on the market take an analog output that is intended to be sent straight to a speaker , modulate onto a high frequency carrier , transmit it , receive it , de-modulate it , and feed it to the speaker , as each step is analog , there is simply no way it can be done without altering the original signal.

As a result , and as every test will show , there is simply no substitute for wired speakers at the moment if you care about quality.
    Wireless speakers are an aesthetic compromise and always sound inferior to wired with no exceptions.

The only possible way to get the content to a speaker wirelessly and not lose any quality , would be to keep the signal in the digital domain for transmission , and that would mean the speaker would have to have a DAC and an output amplifier stage of some sort built in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

You could try a couple of JBL 2.4 wired to a BDPS550.
    It has a 8 channel analogue out and had the decoders built onto the board.

>Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cheapskate

Hi,

As Sol says, considering you have to wire them to a powered socket anyway - how wireless are they going to be?
    wouldn't you be better off opting for wired speakers and hiding the cables as best you can (behind skirting boards, architrave etc.)

my two cent,

CS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

I'm in the same boat, I currently have a Sony DAVSC8
    Cables are currently draped across the floor round to the back of the couch.

I'd like to get wireless rears too and I have sockets where the speakers would go.

Lets be honest most of the best sound comes out of the 2.1 out the front (and the bass!!!) how much really is coming out the rear, as long as the front of the system is up to scratch would it not be ok?????

It's all very well hiding behind skirting or architrave but in some cases it's not possible, for instance if I were to attempt that now realistically I'm replacing and painting 3 skirting boards (the other way is the fireplace and that's not going to happen, I've checked!!!)

So this is an interim system for me, I don't need another Home cinema type system, just the amp and speakers.

So your thoughts would be appreciated. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 steprime

hey there,

While I would recommend wired 5.1, 6.1 or a 7.1 speaker setup above all else - have you considered buying a soundbar? From what i`ve read the Yamaha ones got good reviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Hey,

considered it alright but I'd be better off sticking with what I have, which is a sony Dav-Sc8.

The soundbar bounce the sound off the walls, so you want no big windows or any major furniture in the room and I suppose I wanna get the real "rear sound", the rain, choppers, gunfire or simply the whispers in lost (off topic can't wait for the final season to start!!!)

My best man has the philips HTS3377W with the wireless rears and it sounds pretty good, pixmania do it for around €300 delivered and I'm sure it would do the job, but like the soundbar I'm not sure I want something that'll just do the jon as I've got that already.

The quest continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cheapskate

steprime wrote: »
    hey there,

While I would recommend wired 5.1, 6.1 or a 7.1 speaker setup above all else - have you considered buying a soundbar? From what i`ve read the Yamaha ones got good reviews

Yes I considered going down this road until the guys here on boards convinced me not too, I'm glad they did but I did end up spending way more than I first had expected.

B&W FPM 5 L+R; 6 Centre; 2's Surround (not proper speakers but a good asthetic compromise)

CS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭axton1

andy1249 wrote: »
    Have you got a link ?

As it stands , the only wireless speakers on the market take an analog output that is intended to be sent straight to a speaker , modulate onto a high frequency carrier , transmit it , receive it , de-modulate it , and feed it to the speaker , as each step is analog , there is simply no way it can be done without altering the original signal.

As a result , and as every test will show , there is simply no substitute for wired speakers at the moment if you care about quality.
    Wireless speakers are an aesthetic compromise and always sound inferior to wired with no exceptions.

The only possible way to get the content to a speaker wirelessly and not lose any quality , would be to keep the signal in the digital domain for transmission , and that would mean the speaker would have to have a DAC and an output amplifier stage of some sort built in.

Sorry its taken so long to get this info as it has not been in the public domain !
    full details are now posted on the Audio Pro site www.audioproc.com and local details on www.audioequipment,ie Audio Pro now have several active units available but the coolest is the LV2 which are independent and don't require the speakers to be connected together! three seperate zones can be fed at the same time from a laptop using the WF100 System !

• Advertisement
Advertisement