Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dang vista

Options
  • 02-06-2009 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

wondering if anyone can help with a small yet annoying issue. i have vista on my laptop and at somepoint not sure when my internet became selective. What i mean is that i can connect ok and surf fine with internet explorer but if i try with firefox it wont connect. Also steam wont connect and any other internet dependent program bar bit torrent. Now i have firewall off and uninstalled everything else so my comp should be open yet still its not letting me connect. When i check firewall status tell me its running norton but i uninstalled that installed registry checker to remove left over entries in the registry yet no joy.

any ideas??????????

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

wondering if anyone can help with a small yet annoying issue. i have vista on my laptop and at somepoint not sure when my internet became selective. What i mean is that i can connect ok and surf fine with internet explorer but if i try with firefox it wont connect. Also steam wont connect and any other internet dependent program bar bit torrent. Now i have firewall off and uninstalled everything else so my comp should be open yet still its not letting me connect. When i check firewall status tell me its running norton but i uninstalled that installed registry checker to remove left over entries in the registry yet no joy.

any ideas??????????

Are your DNS servers okay? Have you changed them? Have you tried the OpenDNS servers instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark_lord_ire

did not mess with them and DNS setting are on auto. I know how the DNS setting might block out IE and firefox but they should not effect programs like steam even so would it not block everything???

Its either reformat or take out the shootgun and threaten the pc :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

did not mess with them and DNS setting are on auto. I know how the DNS setting might block out IE and firefox but they should not effect programs like steam even so would it not block everything???

Its either reformat or take out the shootgun and threaten the pc :)

DNS can affect anything using domain names rather than IP's. Try using an IP in Firefox instead of the domain name and see how that responds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

hmm that's tricky. I think you need to establish whether the Norton firewall is actually still installed. If it is disabled it and see if you can connect. May be possible that the firewall is blocking certain apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Download and run the Norton removal tool. to do a clean sweep.

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

• Advertisement
Advertisement