Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking in Ballinasloe

Options
  • 02-06-2009 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

Honest to god, I thought I'd seen it all until today when I was in the 'sloe'. I was in the petrol station on the dublin side of the town. After coming out of the shop i saw this knob, smoking a cigarette and leaning up against the petrol pump!! Now seriously how f*cking thick do you have to be!!! I dont think i've ever seen anything a stupid in my entire life...spanner!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Title PC-ified, although I agree with the initial sentiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭holidayhere

Petrol Head comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

The petrol pump outside Hamilton's pub in Leenane is the designated smoking area :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭chrussell

Magnus wrote: »
    Title PC-ified, although I agree with the initial sentiment.

Yeah sorry about that

Its not actually dangerous at all. It would take a lot more than smoking beside a petrol pump to set it on fire. Its like the urban myth about using a mobile phone its rubbish. Throw a cig on a puddle of petrol and it wont even go up, if you were in a very confined space where the vapour could build up then there could be ignition but not on an open forecourt.

By the way I dont smoke on forecourts as it would freak people out but I use my mobile and often leave the engine running when filling up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From Mythbusters episode about if you can throw a fag in a pool of petrol and walk away cooly while a car/something explodes behind you:

"A cigarette has the potential to light a pool of gasoline but just doesn’t have enough sustained heat. Gas ignites between 500 °F and 540 °F, the cigarette at its hottest was between 450 °F and 500 °F but only when it was actually being smoked. An ignition is very improbable".

And the air/petrol vapour mix is not right for it either, you're more likely to start a fire by getting in and out of the car (static builds up).

However, it's a stupid thing to do, if not for the dangers of other things, sparks igniting oily rag next to you or such.

Magnus wrote: »

However, it's a stupid thing to do, if not for the dangers of other things, sparks igniting oily rag next to you or such.

Agreed, there is no need to be smoking while filling petrol I was just saying its not as dangerous as people think.

Great video by the way!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭thebusoflife

Hhhhmmm well you've called him so many names at this stage o.p. it's possible that emmmm to put it very politely; - he may have no idea or not realise what he was doing. Or - he could just be showing off! :) But I reckin it's the former.

People skip breakfast these days, I would imagine most have little time, two minutes max 2 stop for petrol, between scramblin outta tha car, fillin her up, and droppin in yer 20, ya could be doin a multitude of things, talkin on tha fone! I dunno - fixing whatever ya have in your hand! reading some work-related or other material etc etc., so I would say these things happen, dangerous possibly yes so they need to be minimised! :pac:

And also with this being Ireland, I can totally see 2 farmers or 2 neighbours (livin next-door to ya, but ya never see until you go out the door - pardon the pun!!!) pulling in at adjacent Pumps, next thing, "Ah jaysus Howya Mick," "Arra well Howya Joe!" And 1 man will put his elbow on the Pump, and the other will probably rest up his bad back, and the 2 minutes will turn into 5, 10, 15, 20 minutes. In fact I can picture it now!! Look around ya tomorrow if you're travelling Country Roads, and surely you will see 2 men hunched over a Petrol Pump at one of Ireland's Village Petrol Stations. :):) And with Irish Banter and "natter" so important! It's not impossible that either of those two men would light up a ciggie. :)

Here take a look at this Clip - T.T. on Ireland and our Laissez-faire attitude! Watch the clip till the end! There's no flies on him! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcoATksKweY&feature=related

Mods I'm not going off-topic, I'm simply elaborating on a point! :D

Advertisement