Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ArmA II (PC)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

If anyone asks the question "Can you pick a pilot out of the heli making it turn into a ball of fire that crashes into the sea while not really aiming with the M107?"

The answer is "yes" - Sorry kdjac.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Jumpy wrote: »
    If anyone asks the question "Can you pick a pilot out of the heli making it turn into a ball of fire that crashes into the sea while not really aiming with the M107?"

The answer is "yes" - Sorry kdjac.

I was obvisouly taking to long to land :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

WTF is with this game playing the missions and it is as buggy as hell. Delaying the Bear, The rest of the group wont move cant play the mission! cant move on. Last time I will buy a Bohemia game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

WTF is with this game playing the missions and it is as buggy as hell. Delaying the Bear, The rest of the group wont move cant play the mission! cant move on. Last time I will buy a Bohemia game.

Hence the Bear Delay.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

yeah i've given up on it tbh. tried playin it again, mouse was laggy as hell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

yeah i've given up on it tbh. tried playin it again, mouse was laggy as hell

Disable mouse acceleration in windows

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Disable mouse acceleration in windows

already have ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

If you shoot each member in the legs and then get your medic to heal himself then the rest of the team it should fix it.

I had that problem on the last mission, Dogs of War.

Its been said before on this thread, that multiplayer is where it is at. Brilliant game but the campaign really let it down.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

kenon wrote: »
    If you shoot each member in the legs and then get your medic to heal himself then the rest of the team it should fix it.

Pop quiz, hotshot. What do you do?!

Its been said before on this thread, that multiplayer is where it is at. Brilliant game but the campaign really let it down.

+1, SP is shíte and is badly flawed

@ cherryghost, don't give up till you've had a go at some of these custom missions with us, great fun, we'll prob be online later:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055623889
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055628552
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055626967

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Anyone able to fuel me with ideas with the map editor, since its pretty limitless

Some of the stuff ive tried

* Air battle, 20 su35's VS 20 A10's

* Air to ground airport attack, where 15 A10's attack an airport while troops on the ground scramble to get into AA and get planes off the ground

* Forest battle 30 vs 30

*Ground to air, 20 A10's vs 6 shilka's

After that I just have common, tank + heli + tanks Vs heavily fortified towns etc

MOH wrote: »
    Pop quiz, hotshot. What do you do?!

I sit down and wait for them all to be healed. I could heal one of them but it annoyed me that they were stuck so I was happy for the medic to do it all. ;)

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Simpler controls would be nice ! I played the demo, buggy, demanding, dare I say ugly GFX ! Ill wait for a few patchs n buy it when it comes down to 9.99.

Chorcai wrote: »
    Simpler controls would be nice ! I played the demo, buggy, demanding, dare I say ugly GFX ! Ill wait for a few patchs n buy it when it comes down to 9.99.

:rolleyes: This way m8

This is a military sim, its not meant to be easy, and its not a run and gun shooter like most console port FPSers. I'm having no issues with controls, in fact quite the opposite, double tapping q and e to keep leaned is great, as is using alt for look. Watch what they're trying to achieve

Ugly GFX? Did You turn the settings up? Have You a pc that can play it at max detail? Not at all ugly on my pc at 1920x1200, in fact it looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

:rolleyes: This way m8

This is a military sim, its not meant to be easy, and its not a run and gun shooter like most console port FPSers. I'm having no issues with controls, in fact quite the opposite, double tapping q and e to keep leaned is great, as is using alt for look. Watch what they're trying to achieve

Ugly GFX? Did You turn the settings up? Have You a pc that can play it at max detail? Not at all ugly on my pc at 1920x1200, in fact it looks great

We get it, you enjoy the game, do you work for them?

I too downloaded the demo because the game sounds great.
    Did some of the basic training but the controls are awkward as f*ck, seriously, some of the most unnatural controls in a game, ever. Every time I wanted to do something new I had to go into the options menu to see what it was bound to.
    The game is ugly. My rig is in my sig and it can handle it.
    Also it hard crashed one of the times I tried to connect to a multiplayer server.

The only thing that can be said for it is that I assume the patches do nothing for the demo code so at the moment it's probably a bad advertisement for it.
    So I too would wait till it's patched to a decent level to pick it up on the cheap if it's still going strong but I'm sure by then the summer games drought will be long over.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

+1, the controls are terrible and I'm not saying this from an arcade FPS point of view.
    Everything feels so counter-intuitive. So many controls require several key strokes or menus that it kills the immersion.

For a game that's supposed to be a simulation of human movement it feels more like you're moving some sort of robot.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't know the controls aren't that bad considering how much you can do with them. I did get a twinge of addiction when playing it the first night but winning is such a a chore I avoided playing it again, then my computer exploded! Well got a pagefault error and wouldn't start so now I have to fix the PC.

I really think OF2 could work out to be a really good middle ground as I'm sure it won't be as advanced. I've found as I get older I have less and less interest in games that have steep learning curves.

Again, its been said on this thread that the learning curve for this game is steep. There is a lot to learn before you are anyway good. The people that love this game have probably come from Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis, which was game of the year when it was released. Operation Flashpoint was probably even more complicated and harder to learn than ArmA.

For the people moaning about how complicated it is, id advise them to stick with it or drop it and play COD4.

Anybody moaning about graphics has something wrong with their machine.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

I don't mind difficult learning curves or complex gameplay, I just don't like unnecessarily complex unintuitive controls.

Take Flight Simulator for example. Its a very complex game with enormous depth. But you can also pick it up and play it as a total noob without having to spend hours figuring out the controls and rebinding to something useful.

I'm not sure how they could trim the controls. I was looking at the controls there the other day looking for gaps and the whole keyboard is practically in use and they are all needed. Its a very powerful game and you can have full command over troops/squadrons/tanks/planes/boats etc to get them to do nearly everything.

I agree that it is off-putting for new users but give it time and you get to the stage were you hardly give even the most awkward of instructions/commands any thought.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Advertisement

I would like the main movement controls to be quite focused in terms of bindings and item use. I found simple things like indoor movement and changing weapons a chore. I appreciate that its should be slow and realistic but the decision shouldn't be.

I like how you can look around independently of your weapon but I would have included this as a step in the weapon sight controls with right click.
    So the default is free look and then you click to align your weapon, hold to zoom etc.
    This would make it more like a standard 3rd person shooter I guess, in a first person perspective.

Command wise I wouldn't mind some sort of mouse gesture system not unlike in Left 4 Dead. TBH I only played the demo and I have no idea how the game has developed with patches and what configuration options are now available.

Perhaps Dragon Rising will be more my cup of tea.

I'm not sure how they could trim the controls. I was looking at the controls there the other day looking for gaps and the whole keyboard is practically in use and they are all needed. Its a very powerful game and you can have full command over troops/squadrons/tanks/planes/boats etc to get them to do nearly everything.

I agree that it is off-putting for new users but give it time and you get to the stage were you hardly give even the most awkward of instructions/commands any thought.

True, I was looking for a spare keyboard button to map as my push to talk key (teamspeak kicked up a fuss with my mouse back button :confused:) and struggled to find one, eventually I settled that I'd not need keypad ".", but after watching the fourth developer diary instructions video I see its already mapped to a team command function

I will agree that this game isn't for everyone, it has a very steep learning curve, the single player is shíte and bugged to shít, and also from what I've read the demo is unpatched and has its own issues.

In regard to Dragon Rising, the game is being marketed not to OPF fans, but to fans of mainstream shooters. Its crazy the amount of features this game lacks that even Flashpoint 1 had all the way back in 2001, no planes etc. Its as much a seqeul to Operation Flashpoint as Farcry 2 was a sequel to Farcry.

I will agree that this game isn't for everyone, it has a very steep learning curve, the single player is shíte and bugged to shít, and also from what I've read the demo is unpatched and has its own issues.

A lot of new people to "tactical shooters" will play part of the single player in ArmA II and run away. Not only do they have to contend with a keyboard full of controls but they have to put up with a shíte story, terrible voice acting and woeful bugs that almost make the game unplayable.

Then if they brave it to multiplayer, they get shot in head by a sniper from 1500m.

I hope the next patch is enormous and fixes the campaign.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

Then if they brave it to multiplayer, they get shot in head by a sniper from 1500m.

Me?

Its for people who like SWAT/GR and Raven Shield and it makes them look arcadey consoley type games. If your ok with playing an MP game and getting 3 kills but playing a part of a team that completed the OBJ slowly god damn ever so slowly , you will like it.

If not the lack of medi packs, hideaway healing, fast gun switching, lack of recoil will piss you off and the fact the AI are ninja like in their accuracy and speed of flanking.

Lol, see what the Bohemia Wiki says on tips and tricks
    ArmA II is not like other FPS. It is a simulation. Most, if not all that you learned in other FPS is wrong. You cannot stand out in the middle of an open street or field and expect to survive long in a real battle or in a simulation of real battle. Bouncing around in full kit in real battle does not stop you getting shot; and it tires you out real quick, and would probably break your ankles; so just as you would not do it in real life you cannot do it in ArmA II. You have no ubber body armor, no magic medipacs, no bunny hop rocket boots. It is just you, and what ever weapons you are carrying. If you get shot any where important you are going to die, often right away.
    If you are a New Guy you are going to die and you are going to die a lot. Sorry but that is just the way it is but there are ways you get over the boot camp hump faster. That is what this section of the wiki will help you with.
    You are going to have learn the, basic battle drills and the difference between cover and concealment. There Is a lot to learn but it is fun. Surviving in ArmA II is hard, but one day you find your self with a bunch of buddies hunting T90s like stone age humans hunting mammoths.

From Here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Id take Insurgency over Arma 2 any day of the week.

Id take Insurgency over Arma 2 any day of the week.

Maps are too small to be effective it still relies on the age old run,gun die respawn repeat mentality , actually they are maps and therefore any comparison is lost with Arma which has a map.

I do like insurgencys squad tho, its very intuitive just hard to get past the its HL2 so quite limited part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Maps are too small to be effective it still relies on the age old run,gun die respawn repeat mentality , actually they are maps and therefore any comparison is lost with Arma which has a map.

I do like insurgencys squad tho, its very intuitive just hard to get past the its HL2 so quite limited part.

Unlick arma 2 where its Run, run, run, run, run, run some more, run, run, run, stop, look, run, run, run, run, stop, crawl, crawl, crawl, look, stand, run, run, run, run, stop, crawl, crawl, stop, stand, look, get shot in face by sniper. Repeat.

Unlick arma 2 where its Run, run, run, run, run, run some more, run, run, run, stop, look, run, run, run, run, stop, crawl, crawl, crawl, look, stand, run, run, run, run, stop, crawl, crawl, stop, stand, look, get shot in face by sniper. Repeat.

No, most of the missions we've been playin don't have respawns, You respawn as a crow once You get killed once so You gotta be extra careful

• Advertisement

Call a chopper? Pop smoke(yellow tho as red is for bombers to level the ground) for pick up? or fly the chopper or parajump to where you want to go, or spawn on MHQ, or fly with A10, F35B. Altho communicating with your team would remove most of the looking and give you precise directions on where the enemy is and what you need to do to make them dead.

its all there just not easily explained on how to do it as a noob , i play as a sniper and yes we are that good to get you running from over 1km away ;)

Advertisement